Low profile front license plate holder...

marc_w

A short time ago, I removed my license plate to bang it back into shape a little better, from a front-end collision over the winter. I started tinkering, and ended up removing my damaged factory license plate holder to mount the plate directly to the bumper. I got a little more crafty than that.

Moderators, PLEASE feel free to move/edit/delete this to your liking. I don't have pictures handy, and this isn't all that involved of a mod. If you want to call it that!

I ended up using one of those annoying plastic license plate frames that dealers like to put on your vehicles, as a very low profile mount for the plate. This is how I did it.

Tools, supplies needed:

Utility knife

3/8" drill bit (and drill)

Old dealer installed "advertisement" plate frame

3M double sided tape / 3M body molding tape / thin weatherstripping / similar product.

1: Removing the stock license plate holder. Under the plate, you'll see four plastic looking rivets. They're actually metal. Drill the heads right off. The plate holder should come off easily. Be sure to try to catch the backs of the rivets, which are behind the plastic facia, but in front of the steel bumper. You only have a small amount of room to stick your hands back there.

2: On the old license plate holder, remove the four plastic square inserts that your plate screws, screwed into. Needle nose pliers to the backs of them is all it takes. Take note of the square holes they resided in.

3: Obtain your old dealer mounted license plate frame. Thank them for giving it to you. I did not want the plate to scratch the paint any more than it already is from the collision, so I used some 3M double sided tape to act as a gasket between the plate frame and the paint on the front facia. Lay your plate frame down on the bench, advertisement up. If your plate frame has raised lettering on it, you can quickly grind it down with a grinding wheel or similar tool. I actually chose not to mess with it. It's barely noticeable once mounted.

Peel off one side of the tape (or use your own product here), and apply directly to the frame, all the way around.

4: Hold the new plate holder/frame up to the bumper. Position it where you'll like it mounted. It will cover the old mounting holes from the factory plate holder. Mark the holes, and drill them out with a 3/8" drill bit. Use the utility knife to cut the round holes to square ones similar to the ones on the factory plate holder. Pop in the white plastic inserts. Put your plate in the backside of the frame. Put the two pieces up against the bumper, and fasted down with factory screws. You're done.

I didn't feel a need to actually use the double sided tape as any sort of a fastening device... I only used it for the 1/32" thick foam strip it was made out of.

I think the plate mounted like this looks A LOT better than the large protruding factory bracket. It's not nearly as noticeable from a side profile, and makes the front bumper seem like it doesn't quite stick out as far.

I should also note that when mounted, the plate will have a slight bend to it, from the shape of the bumper. I shined a maglight on mine from 100' away, and it doesn't effect the reflective properties (at least of my Massachusetts tag) at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived