160 stat on and...Problem

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:withstupid:

chiel is right.  I was joking ( :jester: ) about no thermostat.  Drilling holes in it would be better than removing it completely.  Or the bb, if you can get that to work.

:confused: What is a BB?

i was wandering this same thing chiel... However, i believe by the way i saw brent describe it that it is some sort of clamp u put on the stat... :seeya:

I am gona play with the truck some today... :seeya:

maybe because the thermostat opens at 160, the coolant flows to fast through the radiator and dosnt have enogh time to cool off properly. i had this problem on my camaro with a 160. i had to put a 190 in it to stay at a decent temp.

chiel is right.  I was joking ( :jester: ) about no thermostat.  Drilling holes in it would be better than removing it completely.  Or the bb, if you can get that to work.

A BB is a small metal ball about 3mm in diameter that is fired from an air rifle. Usually made of brass or steel. In this case it is placed in the hole where the plunger piston seats in the thermostat housing. The BB makes the piston push against the spring more in its cold position. So, when the heat-sensitive element expands the same amount at the same temperature and moves the piston the same amount as before, the valve opens sooner and the engine runs cooler.

:cheers:

A BB is a small metal ball about 3mm in diameter that is fired from an air rifle. Usually made of brass or steel. In this case it is placed in the hole where the plunger piston seats in the thermostat housing. The BB makes the piston push against the spring more in its cold position. So, when the heat-sensitive element expands the same amount at the same temperature and moves the piston the same amount as before, the valve opens sooner and the engine runs cooler.

:cheers:

What he said.

maybe because the thermostat opens at 160, the coolant flows to fast through the radiator and dosnt have enogh time to cool off properly. i had this problem on my camaro with a 160. i had to put a 190 in it to stay at a decent temp.

yeah, i would buy that if everyone else was having the same problems... Ohh well. :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
well, i put the stock fans back on, and that is not the problem... if anyting it is runing hotter.  :fume:  :fume:

I think i am going to call hypertech and see what they suggest..  :nonod:

I got knowwhere talking to Hyupertech....waste of time...they don't give a SH*T :fume:

I have my fans running all the time now with 3 bottles of WW and 2 drain/refills getting all the air out....still 190-200* :devil:

Hey guys,

don't go by what the gauge in the truck says it is just a guide. It just like the fuel gauges in the Air Craft I used to fly they are only accurate when empty. The temp gauge just shows a range in the middle its ok at the red end its too hot. mine is constantly running at just below 210 all the timeand never moves.

To really know what it is reading you will need PCM tuning hardware/software

Jonathan

If it makes you guys feel any better... with warmer weather, and running the A/C while driving around town, my coolant temps are running around 190 - 195. It doesn't cool down to 180-185 until after sundown when the temps drop below 80*F outside.

I really need to get my a$$ in gear and hook up that fan wire to the PCM. :jester:

Archived