160 stat on and...Problem

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you first run the engine again, after draining the coolant, there may be some air bubbles in there. This can cause erratic temperature readings. Did you purge all the air out of the coolant system after installing the stat? (warm up to operating temp, rev engine to 3Krpm for a few minutes, top off coolant)

When you first run the engine again, after draining the coolant, there may be some air bubbles in there. This can cause erratic temperature readings. Did you purge all the air out of the coolant system after installing the stat? (warm up to operating temp, rev engine to 3Krpm for a few minutes, top off coolant)

workin fine now, mods feel free to delete this one... :thumbs:

I have drained and refilled my cooling system 3 times and got the air bubbles out....still read about 200 all the time. Hypertech is no help at all either.

Is that 200 reading on the dash gauge or from a scan tool?

FWIW, my dash gauge floats around between 185 and 200. EFILive says it stays between 178 and 185...

Yeah, dash gauge is off here too. I tried to lift the needles and adjust them. Come to find out, you can't do that on these gauges. You used to be able to on '99-'02. My tranny temps show 15 degrees lower than they are. ECT fluctuates, hard to tell.

I have drained and refilled my cooling system 3 times and got the air bubbles out....still read about 200 all the time.  Hypertech is no help at all either.

Is that 200 reading on the dash gauge or from a scan tool?

FWIW, my dash gauge floats around between 185 and 200. EFILive says it stays between 178 and 185...

Diablo Plug in tuner

You guys ought to be proud of me. I did the BB mod Saturday morning. Bought a $1.88 bucket to catch the antifreeze. Took 18" of cardboard to create a runway for the antifreeze to run down. Then borrowed a BB from the next door boy.

Took less than 5 minutes to open it up and put the BB inside the canal. Then almost 20 minutes to clamp the 2 sides of the retainer and twist it back inside the grooves without loosing the clampings. :crazy:

Was fun, easy. Now the gauge which used to read 210, stays a small notch below the 185 mark.

You guys ought to be proud of me.  I did the BB mod Saturday morning.  Bought a $1.88 bucket to catch the antifreeze.  Took 18" of cardboard to create a runway for the antifreeze to run down.  Then borrowed a BB from the next door boy. 

Took less than 5 minutes to open it up and put the BB inside the canal.  Then almost 20 minutes to clamp the 2 sides of the retainer and twist it back inside the grooves without loosing the clampings.  :crazy:

Was fun, easy.  Now the gauge which used to read 210, stays a small notch below the 185 mark.

BB mod?? :confused:

because i am having this same problem of it staying at a hair under 210... I was cruising at eighty, and it just stuck there the whole four hour trip, and it made no difference if my E-fans where on or off...I am gladto see i am not the only one having the problem..

I drove my brother ECSB 1/2 ton with a 5.3 and a 160 stat and the thing ran at 185 the whole way to Corpus Christi... I am really bogled by this, can anyone give me some insight as to why my 6.0 with a biger radiator, and the same stat is runing at 210? This is really bothering me, so i am gona take my mechanical fans back to houston with me, put em on and see if that is the problem. Do you guys beluieve i could have recieved a 180 stat on accident? :shakehead:

I drove my brother ECSB 1/2 ton with a 5.3 and a 160 stat and the thing ran at 185 the whole way to Corpus Christi... I am really bogled by this, can anyone give me some insight as to why my 6.0 with a biger radiator, and the same stat is runing at 210? This is really bothering me, so i am gona take my mechanical fans back to houston with me, put em on and see if that is the problem. Do you guys beluieve i could have recieved a 180 stat on accident? :shakehead:

Wow, your running that hot? That's hotter than mine ran stock.

Wow, your running that hot? That's hotter than mine ran stock.

yes sir, i don't get it. Likle i said i am taking the mechanical fan back to houston, but i doubt this is the problem, besides aren't the fans saposed to shutoff above 40? :confused::shakehead:

Does anyone know what the part # for the 180* Powerstat is? I have one and it is running at 200*, just want to know if the part is correct or if I need to drain my coolant to eleviate the bubbles. My part # is 1015.

Thanks Wizard

damnit this is really bothering me, i beat the shit out of my brothers truck, and it still wants toi stay at 185... :fume: Is it the LS1 fans? I left my fans in corpus, go figure... so will his 5.3 fan and shroud fit or work?

To make the air go out the system i allways drill a very small hole in the new thermostat :thumbs: . I have seen new thermostat with had some small device with a spring to let the air through.

Archived