Lq9 Swap!

silverado_ss_04

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI I am new to this forum and was hunting for anyone doing an engine swap going to the 6.0 364 C.I.

I have a 2006 GMC Sierra Short/Wide with a 4.3 V6.I put a set of 4:10 in and installed a superchip.Put a set of MT slicks on and ran a 16:68.Wasn't happy with that so uninstalled superchip and set the trans setting and rev limiter,and put a 100 shot of NOS to it.Then ran a 14:76.Wasn't happy with that so pulled the motor and sent the cam to be reground and installed a set of 202 and 160 stainless valves.Ported exhaust and added headers.Then ran a 14.50.Well I finally got smart (I hope) and bought a 2004 6.0 out of a wrecked 1 ton chevy.

We decided to eliminate the EFI and go Carburated.Which really started some changes.Eliminating the computer I had to change the Trans and dash gauges.We are just about to pull the 6 out and drop the 6.0 in. I used a comp cam.An Edelbrock Jr. that comes with an MSD ign. for the coils,etc.AN 850 cfm carb.A Jegs double roller timing set.A TCI super street fighter turbo 350 and a 2800 stall convertor.Put a new set of rod bolts in.Theres a 3 1/2 in. difference between the 4L60E and the turbo 350 so I will probably have to get a longer drive shaft.Has anyone out there got the swap done if so How does it run Thanks Steve Sr.

post-18973-1255221212_thumb.jpg

HI I am new to this forum and was hunting for anyone doing an engine swap going to the 6.0 364 C.I.

I have a 2006 GMC Sierra Short/Wide with a 4.3 V6.I put a set of 4:10 in and installed a superchip.Put a set of MT slicks on and ran a 16:68.Wasn't happy with that so uninstalled superchip and set the trans setting and rev limiter,and put a 100 shot of NOS to it.Then ran a 14:76.Wasn't happy with that so pulled the motor and sent the cam to be reground and installed a set of 202 and 160 stainless valves.Ported exhaust and added headers.Then ran a 14.50.Well I finally got smart (I hope) and bought a 2004 6.0 out of a wrecked 1 ton chevy.

We decided to eliminate the EFI and go Carburated.Which really started some changes.Eliminating the computer I had to change the Trans and dash gauges.We are just about to pull the 6 out and drop the 6.0 in. I used a comp cam.An Edelbrock Jr. that comes with an MSD ign. for the coils,etc.AN 850 cfm carb.A Jegs double roller timing set.A TCI super street fighter turbo 350 and a 2800 stall convertor.Put a new set of rod bolts in.Theres a 3 1/2 in. difference between the 4L60E and the turbo 350 so I will probably have to get a longer drive shaft.Has anyone out there got the swap done if so How does it run Thanks Steve Sr.

Damn, that is one serious project.

Yes,it got a little out of hand.Hotrod magazine got together with Comp Cams to test 6 of their cams on the 6.0 with a carb and with EFI .The carbed engine did better than the efi

with several of the cams.The 2 top cams had over 600 lift and were not recommended for the street and also needed valve relief in the pistons.The bottom 2 were old standards for the LS motors,which I wanted a little bit more.I picked the middle cam,Which had a 581--592 lift.not needing pistons with valve relief.They used a 950 cfm carb and at 6500 rpm dyno'd at 539.8 HP.We thought with the 850 I'd be pretty close to the 539.8 HP.And then we will try a 100 shot of NOS and work our way up to 200.If I had the money I would have ordered the 408 stroker kit,but am broke,really broke. I powder coated the valve covers and coil rails RED.Will try to take some pictures before it is dropped in.

Hope to here from anyone who has done a similar swap.Well have to go to work,Nice day for a drive,hope it's as nice going thru Iowa and Minnsota.Take Care

Steve Sr.

• 4 weeks later...

that is a ton of work!

i like how it says "will franks lq9". thats exciting will. you will become the first "true rcsb SS"

ur gonna have EVERY little thing done to make it real lol

not if i get mine in first! i ahve center console leather spioler and cladding......just a couple more oem things than will!!! :D