Oil Pressure Gauge Pegged! Help!

WheeliePro

On my way to work this morning, luckily very close to work, I looked down and my oil pressure guage was max'ed out! No warning lights came on, all other gauges were normal. I stopped and pulled the dipstick, the level and color was perfectly fine for having 2500 miles since last oil change. There were no leaks. Could it be a faulty pressure gauge? I'll probably go out and check on it at lunch. What else should I look for? Thanks.

Edit: My truck is a '06 Sierra Performace Edition Vortec Max 2WD with 92k miles.

Edited by WheeliePro (see edit history)

I snagged an old cluster out of a JY with a cracked face and desoldered one of the stepper motors and replaced the bad on in my truck (my 03 Sierra) It took 20 minutes and it worked like a champ. Total cost 15 bucks. You can also buy the motors on ebay for cheap.

Edited by BigCountry (see edit history)

On my way to work this morning, luckily very close to work, I looked down and my oil pressure guage was max'ed out! No warning lights came on, all other gauges were normal.

This happened to my truck a couple of weeks ago and it was just the oil pressure switch. To check it just unplug the oil pressure switch at the back driver's side of the intake and the gauge should zero out. Its an easy five minute job to replace if you have the right socket.

This happened to my truck a couple of weeks ago and it was just the oil pressure switch. To check it just unplug the oil pressure switch at the back driver's side of the intake and the gauge should zero out. Its an easy five minute job to replace if you have the right socket.

Cool, I'll check that out tonight. I was debating how long I was willing to leave the gauge broken so that I wouldn't have to shell out for a new cluster.

Cool, I'll check that out tonight. I was debating how long I was willing to leave the gauge broken so that I wouldn't have to shell out for a new cluster.

If it ends up being a bad stepper motor (replacement cluster), that would be the PERFECT time to add the trans temp guage & get the white face Silverado SS gauge cluster. :chevy:

If it turns out being the cluster check with your dealership. My speedo went out and I ws debating getting a new cluster or fixing it myself. Took it by the dealership, they ran a test on it (yes it was the cluster), and replaced it for free, even though I was over the 70K miles for the recall/repair.

:flag: