$5 Steering Wheel Control Light Fix

levilz

Thanks for a great write-up I just purchased my first truck and all lights are out in the wheel. I wasn't sure if they were supposed to be illuminated or not and now I know, thanks again...

Hate to admit this but rather than screw something up is anyone willing to swap out the bulbs if I send them my 4 controls as all of mine are burnt out?

I do not trust anyone near where I live to do this. Of course I don't mind paying fairly for the service.

Send me a PM if able to help...Thanks

• 8 months later...

This worked great. I just repaired 1 switch and i m going to pull the airbag to gain access to the rest. Seems for me the hardest part is disconnecting and reconnecting the switches.

Thanks for the write up.

• 2 weeks later...

If you use #272-1092 12v 60 milli amp you can reuse the bulb holders and the bulb height is lower and the wires are longer and thinner

and will go through the circuit board better. I used your post the first time then I had another bulb go out and found those at radio shack.

Great post works great

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Just did mine with leds. I ended up using 1500 ohm resistors to bring the voltage down so that the button lights weren't too bright. Worked great, and looks sweet in blue.

How'd you get yours in blue? Did you find a blue bulb? Or blue cover?

Im gonna fix a few of my lights this weekend or next. I have a few lights out in my radio as well. Gonna take the dash apart, pull the radio, and replace those bulbs too.

I'm replacing the lower left switch in my father's 2004 VHO. I got the worn out switch out, but the wires are way too short to plug the new switch back in.

I guess on some of these, we have to disconnect the battery & pull the air bag out to get enough slack in the wire harness (to reinstall the switches)??

-Jon in TX.

That sucks. Back when I did mine, there wasn't much slack, but there was enough to where I didn't need to take the steering wheel apart. Hope everything works out for you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I don't want to make a new one. I am going to replace my bulbs pretty soon. There is someone on Ebay selling blue, green, red and white DIY bulbs and instructions. These are not new switches; you will need to solder on the new bulbs. SEARCH Ebay: DIY Blue LED Upgrade Kit for GM GMC Chevrolet Steering Wheel Switches & Controls.

A common problem is the length of the harness wires connected to bottom switches, mileage, fuel, information and enter controls. Most people say that the top controls, prog., source, seek and volume, are easy enough to install as the wires are longer. I have seen and heard that some people feel the need to disable the airbag/remove it in order to lengthen the wires on the bottom control harnesses. I found this video to be very helpful on YouTube: