When Did Gm Start Chargin Cores On Ss Rims?

Billybeer

I was looking to replace a damaged silver ss rim, I called my local dealer who I went to high school with and he came back and said there was a $50 core charge on that rim. That the Heck? What is up with that? Does anyone know the criteria of an acceptable core? Is Gm refinishing them or just trying to get an extra 50?

GM is $ 4,649,861,456,498,764,968,464,894,665,164,979,787,846,132,165,498,716,354.24 Dollars in Debt.

Of course they're trying to make extra money. Price of any part has gone through the roof..

GM is $ 4,649,861,456,498,764,968,464,894,665,164,979,787,846,132,165,498,716,354.24 Dollars in Debt.

Of course they're trying to make extra money. Price of any part has gone through the roof..

:idiot: And thats why nobody wants to buy anything from them.

The reason for the core charge is so that not every body has those specific wheels. Its GM way of keeping our truck unique as not to many people are willing to pay a core charge. In my opionion the core charge should be more. And for the price of one wheel from GM, you can buy a whole new, OEM set of off ebay.

The reason for the core charge is so that not every body has those specific wheels. Its GM way of keeping our truck unique as not to many people are willing to pay a core charge. In my opionion the core charge should be more. And for the price of one wheel from GM, you can buy a whole new, OEM set of off ebay.

re-read his post.... its a friend from the dealer which means he is getting it at cost plus 10%..

re-read his post.... its a friend from the dealer which means he is getting it at cost plus 10%..

Bingo, he hooks me up every once in a while.

But He could not find out if I return the rim with 3 inches of alum missing from going off road the other day would get me back my $50. Apparently GM does not plan on returning the core charge b/c he can't find out if there is even any criteria for the core charge, he and the parts guy called and no one seems to know. Does it just have to be a SS rim any condition or does it have to be workable? He does not want to take it see If it will be rejected and he either has to eat it or call me up and hit me up for $50 more.

yea there is a set of used silvers that were then chromed for $1,520 shipped right now but I would rather pay $380 for one new painted factory rim, but at $430 it's ouch

And as to the argument of keeping it unique that is not really a valid argument and does not hold up, if that was their plan why is there not a core on the skirts, fenders, cladding and all other ss unique parts.

I depends on what you are buying, prices of somethings have gone down, some up. The price of door handles for Astro vans have gone down at least $10(my techs break them all the time), and a new gas cap for an '05 Astro only cost us $7 the other day. On the other hand, replacement mirror glass has gone through the roof, replacment mirror glass and backplate for an Astro which used to cost $45 now costs around $70........

I depends on what you are buying, prices of somethings have gone down, some up. The price of door handles for Astro vans have gone down at least $10(my techs break them all the time), and a new gas cap for an '05 Astro only cost us $7 the other day. On the other hand, replacement mirror glass has gone through the roof, replacment mirror glass and backplate for an Astro which used to cost $45 now costs around $70........

Yeah, when my truck got hit by a mattress (lol, long story, $7k in damage) the most expensive part was the side mirror (almost $600).

And the body shop put the wrong mirror on (one tints, one doesn't).

Wrongo--- There is a core charge on the wheels because the price of aluminum is up. At my work, we charge everyone 35-50 core charge on all wheels purchased. Check to see if they will take any alum wheel for the SS one, or if it has to be the same one purchased.

And the body shop put the wrong mirror on (one tints, one doesn't).

No, they put the right mirror on. I believe only the driver's mirror and interior rear view auto dim for night driving if I am not mistaken. A peek in the owners manual will tell for sure....

EDIT: just checked my owners manual, my above statement is correct.....

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)