4-beam Hi-headlamp Mod

misterp

OK lots of folks jam a diode between the hi headlamp relay and the low headlamp relay, so that when you flip on the high beams you get all four lamps on (both highs and lows) at the same time. My own truck started to show an issue in that when I hit a rough spot of pavement the low-beams would flicker on and off (!) and several times this last month the lights failed completely because the diode wiggled it's way loose from vibration and in turn wiggled the relays loose from their sockets - I would panic and immedately stop the truck on the side of the freeway or street, pop the hood, and wiggle the relays to reseat them & the diode :uhoh:

So tonight I popped the underhood fusebox up and soldered the diode permanently into the wiring harness. No pictures in this post, but the essential info you need is - locate the huge right-hand connector (it's gray colored), and find pin B9 (second row from left, ninth cell down) and that is a black/white wire, this is the high-beam relay control wire; find pin D3 (fourth row from left, 3rd cell down) it's a pink/white wire and this is the low-beam relay control... install your diode between the two wires, with the stripe on the diode towards the high-beam wire. What I did in my own truck was to solder a 3" length of wire to each end of the diode and then cover the whole thing in a long piece of heat-shrink tubing, then use scotch-locks to piggy-back the diode to the two relay control wires.

Guys with HID high-beam headlights MUST do this mod or you might have the lights go out on you at freeway speeds.

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

i did mine under the dash at the BCM. i will usually do this if i am installing a remote start or alarm. but if i am just installing HIDs i wrap the relay with wire after i solder to the antode and cathode of the diode...

I will get pics next time i do this for you guys to see.

will do. when i get a virgin in the driveway i will getit done for you guys. or if i get a silverado in the bays at work and have time to get it done i will at least get pics of what to do.

easy GREAT mod to do!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
...a nicely done How-To with photo's would be great...
still no pics??
x2 on the pics
x3 on the pics

GAWD you guys are SPOILED. :rolleyes:

hilo-diode-jumper.jpg

what amp rating does the diode need to be?

I use the cheapie Radio Shack 1/4-watt multi-purpose ones, they're like 99-cents for a 2-pack.

...As I am about to do this mod ... :thumbs:

:thumbs: We've been modding over here too :cheers:

shiner.jpg

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

great mod man. looks way cleaner than the other way of doing it. i was wanting to add in my fogs to come on with my high beams the same way. any idea what color the wire is under the fuse box for the fogs? thanks

GAWD you guys are SPOILED. :rolleyes:

hilo-diode-jumper.jpg

I use the cheapie Radio Shack 1/4-watt multi-purpose ones, they're like 99-cents for a 2-pack.

:thumbs: We've been modding over here too :cheers:

shiner.jpg