Trailer Weight And Gcwr?

sdimedude

I have been doing a ton of searching on the web and here about my GCWR and I can't find any solid info. I am in the market for a 8.5ft x 24ft enclosed trailer. It will come with two 5,200# tandem axles for a total maximum trailer weight of 10,400#'s. It also comes with 4 wheel electric brakes.

Now about my truck. I have a stock 06 ext. cab 2wd vortecmax with the heavy duty towing package. It came with 4.10 gears, super heavy duty transmission, and ride control suspension package. I have found some documentation in my owners manual for C-1500 HD (2WD) 6000 V8, 4.10. It says maximum trailer weight is 10,300lbs and the GCWR is 16,000lbs. Does this sound correct? I see so many people on the net stating that the vortecmax is rated to pull up to a 10,500# trailer.

Just a little added info about my planned setup. I am going to get a weight distributing hitch with a sway bar to help with trailer and truck stability. I'm also planning on getting a Prodigy brake controller. Any other advice would be helpful.

thank you,

David

This is the same problem that my father ran into back in 2004 (when the VHO's 1st came out). My best advice to you is to call the GM cust assistance # in the back of your owners manual.

It might take more than 1 phone call to get the info you need, but at least it is a "800" #.

Oh yeah, then post that info back up on here. :rolleyes:

Edited by Bad Bowtie (see edit history)

Well I figured it all out thanks to these charts I found. These weights also very slightly due to different vehicle options and other added options.

Click here for 07 Classic specs.

I researched all the codes for vortec max and came up with these. (NHT) = towing edition vortecmax (B4V) = performance edition vortecmax

TC15753 w/ (B4V) = 3.73, 2wd, ext. cab, 20" wheels, total trailer weight = 7800, GCWR = 13000

TC15753 w/ (NHT) = 4.10, 2wd, ext. cab, 17" wheels, total trailer weight = 10400, GCWR = 15500(My truck)

TC15543 w/ (NHT) = 3.73, 2wd, crew cab, 17" wheels, total trailer weight = 10100, GCWR = 15500

TK15753 w/ (NHT) = 4.10, 4wd, ext. cab, 17" wheels, total trailer weight = 10000, GCWR = 15500

TK15543 w/ (NHT) = 4.10, 4wd, crew cab, 17" wheels, total trailer weight = 9900, GCWR = 15500

I also did some studies on the Silveradoss.

AWD, 4.10, SS = total trailer weight = 7500, GCWR = 13000

2WD, 3.73, SS = total trailer weight = 7800, GCWR = 13000(same as B4V)

Edited by sdimedude (see edit history)

REMEMBER.... :smash:

those numbers are what the factory rates with factory installed tires. if you change tires to non stock, those numbers WILL change. so when you look to replace your tires, check the weight rating on them. always better to go a little higher than lower...

:seeya:

No problem man. I just ordered my trailer today and I pick it up at the end of the month. I decided to up it to a 8.5ft x 28ft. Next on my list is to get a quality brake controller and a 2 5/16 ball so I can tow it home.

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up my trailer the other day and this thing is huge! It is 8.5ft x 28ft with a 4ft extended tongue. Dry weight of trailer is right at 4,000 lbs and maximum weight is 10,000 lbs. So I can haul up to 6,000 lbs inside of it. I ended up with a Prodigy P3 brake controller and it seems to work great. I still need to buy a weight distributing hitch and some slide on towing mirrors. I am using borrowed ones right now. I had no problems at all pulling this trailer with my truck. Only issue I had was getting the trailer wheels to clear curbs. lol Here are some pics.

img0112bkt.th.jpg

img0113o.th.jpg

img0114ylm.th.jpg

img0115nag.th.jpg

Oh and I had to mess around and throw my parents Colorado in it the other day.

img0118ixg.th.jpg

img0119n.th.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
I picked up my trailer the other day and this thing is huge! It is 8.5ft x 28ft with a 4ft extended tongue. Dry weight of trailer is right at 4,000 lbs and maximum weight is 10,000 lbs. So I can haul up to 6,000 lbs inside of it. I ended up with a Prodigy P3 brake controller and it seems to work great. I still need to buy a weight distributing hitch and some slide on towing mirrors. I am using borrowed ones right now. I had no problems at all pulling this trailer with my truck. Only issue I had was getting the trailer wheels to clear curbs. lol Here are some pics.

img0112bkt.th.jpg

img0113o.th.jpg

img0114ylm.th.jpg

img0115nag.th.jpg

Oh and I had to mess around and throw my parents Colorado in it the other day.

img0118ixg.th.jpg

img0119n.th.jpg

Nice trailer and truck!

Just yesterday I was helping my friend pack up his sandrail too yamahaa vmax's and loads and loads of stuff into that same type trailer! The Box used to be on a ryder truck and was taken off and put on dual 7,000lbs axles. Think he paid $4,000. His is a little taller though.

Long story short we took his Diesel Excursion and trailer to the scales and together they weighed almost 24,600lbs. Just the trailer (still connected) wieghd 12,500lbs...He picked up and left form Cali to move to Indiana.