How To: Removing Rear Axle Shafts

delay18

Well a few people have asked about this and I have not gotten around to making this post. This is what I used to replace my rear dust shields. This procedure can be used for that as well as axle replacement, parking brake replacement, or anything in which you have to remove the axle. I am at work currently, so I can not upload my color pictures. I will supplement this info later with real world pictures instead of these horrible ones.

NOTE: This is for information only. I take no responsibility for any problems caused by following these instructions nor do I make any sort of promise or guarntee about anything contained in this post. Please use extreme caution when working on your vehicle and make sure proper safety measures are in place. By reading this you agree that you are following these instructions AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Now that all that crap is out of the way, The following instructions were taken directly from GM SI (Service Information) and supplemented/ modified by me.

Illustration 1:

IMG_1055-1.jpg">

1. Raise the vehicle.

2. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.

3. Remove the brake caliper bracket. It is not necessary to remove the brake caliper.

4. Remove the rear cover and the gasket.

5. Remove the pinion shaft locking bolt. (As shown in illustration # 1)

Illistration # 2

IMG_1057.jpg">

6. On axles WITHOUT a locking differential, remove the pinion shaft.

7. On axles WITH a locking differential, remove the shaft part way. Rotate the case until the pinion

shaft touches the housing (Illustration #2).

Illustration # 3

156412.gif

Illustration # 4

IMG_1058.jpg">

8. On axles WITH a locking differential, use a screwdriver, or a similar tool, in order to enter the

differential case and rotate the C-clip (1) until the C-clip aligns with the thrust block (2) (Illustration # 3 & 4).

Illistration # 5

391222.gif

Illustration # 6

IMG_1059.jpg">

9. Push the flange of the axle shaft (1) toward the differential.

10. Remove the C-lock (#4 in Illustration # 5 or #1 in illustration #4) from the button end of the axle shaft (1 Illustration # 5).

Important: When removing the axle shaft, do not rotate the shaft. Rotating the shaft will misalign the gears. Misaligning the gears will make the assembly difficult.

11. Remove the axle shaft (1) from the housing (5) (Illustration # 5 & 6).

Installation Procedure

Illustration # 7

1. 391222.gif
    Important: Carefully insert the axle shaft in order to not damage the seal.

12. Install the axle shaft (1) into the rear axle housing (5) (Illustration # 7).
    13. Slide the axle shaft (1) into place allowing the splines to engage the differential side gear (Illustration # 7)
    14. On axles WITHOUT a locking differential, place the lock (4) on the button end of the axle shaft (1) (Illustration # 7).
    15. On axles WITH a locking differential, keep the pinion shaft partially withdrawn.

Illistration # 8156412.gif

16. On axles WITH a locking differential, place the C-lock (1) on the axle shaft (3) so that the ends are flush with the thrust block (2) (Illistation # 8).

17. Pull the shaft flange outward in order to seat the lock in the differential gear.

18. Align the hole in the pinion shaft with the bolt hole in the differential case (Illistation # 1).

19. Install the new pinion shaft locking bolt.

Tighten

• For the 8.6 inch axle, tighten the pinion shaft locking bolt to 36 N·m (27 lb ft).

• For the 9.5 inch axle, tighten the pinion shaft locking bolt to 50 N·m (37 lb ft).

20. Install the rear cover and the gasket.

21. Install the brake caliper bracket.

22. Install the tire and wheel assembly. Fill the rear axle. Use the proper fluid. (GM Synthetic Axle Lub 75w-90 Part#89021677 or Equivalent with GL-5 rating. I use Mobil 1 75w-90 GL-5 Synthetic Axle Fluid

23. Lower the vehicle.

Grab an ice cold beer and pat yourself on the back for saving yourself alot of money at a shop!

:cheers:

Additional Pictures

Axle Removed

IMG_1060.jpg">

This is the slot that the C-clip fits into.

IMG_1061.jpg">

C-clip

IMG_1064.jpg">

New Backing plate Part Number: 19178785

IMG_1063.jpg">

I hope this helps some and like I said when I can I will add some real world pictures when I can. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me and I will do all that I can to help. If need be I can give you my phone number (Via PM) and I can talk you through it.

Good Luck. :cheers:

Rob

Reason for edit: Add pictures and clean up to make it easier to follow.

Edited by delay18 (see edit history)

i wonder if now would be the time to install soem c-clip eliminator kits??

I wouldn't worry about it unless you are making some wick numbers to the wheels. However since your in there, it wouldn't hurt to follow Kevin's how-to on the stud and girdle kit.

Rob

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the how-to. I am putting in a new axle on my 2WD Vortex Max tomorrow and I have a couple questions. The brand new axle came with a coating on it to prevent rust, does this need to be completely cleaned off? It didn't come with wheel studs, can someone explain how to swap them? I also got a new bearing and seal, which you never discussed. How and where do they go in?

I'm sure I can figure some of this out myself, but I want to be sure since my go-to mechanic buddy is on vacation.

• 1 year later...