Oil Change

bikeman311

Doing my first oil change on the SS this weekend, anyone know where I can get a how to on the change for the truck? I know its easy but I just wanted some help for the first time, also how many qts of oil will I need, any help will help. Thanks guys

1. Make sure fully warmed up

2. Park level

3. Apply e-brake, make sure in park lol

4. Pull dipstick or remove cap to lessen pressure so your exit flow is smooth and not choppy

5. Jack her up, 1 floor jack and 2 jack stands I use, up to you

6. Have a 15mm wrench, oil filter wrench, drain pan (big one) gonna drain 6 quarts, towels/degreaser spray ready, new oil filter also ready

7. Loosen up that baby let her drain, I always just clean drain plug

8. I usually wait for it all to drain before removing oil filter, up to you though, less mess

9. Tighten your drain plug

10. Loosen oil filter slowly let drain and drop, make sure gasket from old filter doesn't get stuck up in there, has happened to me b4

11. Apply some oil to new gasket

12. Hand tighten oil filter, me I tighten a little more after the hand tighttening, up to you

13. Clean with degreaser any dirty areas

14. Get out of under there, have a smoke whatever you do lol, I know I do

15. Keep it jacked up

16. Add your oil using a funnel 6 quarts

17. Start her up, check to make sure your oil presure is in the "40" range, let run ehhh 5 mins to circulate

18. As running check for leaks, go back under and inspect, since your area has been cleaned it's easy to see

19. No leaks, shut her off, lower her down, check your level

20. Clean up put away stuff and done

:chevy:

Mr. P - I hope this is up to your standards lol :cheers:

Edited by Bad aSS Silvy (see edit history)

1. Make sure fully warmed up

2. Park level

3. Apply e-brake, make sure in park lol

4. Pull dipstick or remove cap to lessen pressure so your exit flow is smooth and not choppy

5. Jack her up, 1 floor jack and 2 jack stands I use, up to you

6. Have a 15mm wrench, oil filter wrench, drain pan (big one) gonna drain 6 quarts, towels/degreaser spray ready, new oil filter also ready

7. Loosen up that baby let her drain, I always just clean drain plug

8. I usually wait for it all to drain before removing oil filter, up to you though, less mess

9. Tighten your drain plug

10. Loosen oil filter slowly let drain and drop, make sure gasket from old filter doesn't get stuck up in there, has happened to me b4

11. Apply some oil to new gasket

12. Hand tighten oil filter, me I tighten a little more after the hand tighttening, up to you

13. Clean with degreaser any dirty areas

14. Get out of under there, have a smoke whatever you do lol, I know I do

15. Keep it jacked up

16. Add your oil using a funnel 6 quarts

17. Start her up, check to make sure your oil presure is in the "40" range, let run ehhh 5 mins to circulate

18. As running check for leaks, go back under and inspect, since your area has been cleaned it's easy to see

19. No leaks, shut her off, lower her down, check your level

20. Clean up put away stuff and done

:chevy:

Mr. P - I hope this is up to your standards lol :cheers:

Mr. P would have pics! :jester: LOL... J/K

Nice write up man.... :thumbs:

Don't forget to lube all the suspension points!

....And your driveshaft U-joint if you are RWD. I dont even jack mine up, I just slide right under it and do what I have to do. As for only hand tightening the oil filter, I always snug it with a wrench after installing it. I had an oil filter leak oil after only hand tightening it. While you are at it, check all of your other fluids too.......

What joints do you guys lube up and what kind of lube do you use? A can a grease?

You need a grease gun with a flexible hose, and a high quality grease. You must grease upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie-rod ends, front and rear of the pitman arms, steering box, and drive shaft(if it is a 2-piece steel shaft).

I believe AWD and 4WD models need to have the CV Joints greased too.

Also, if you have the Energy Suspension Sway Bar Bushing kit, grease these as well.