Fog Lamps

quickmedic1

I wanted to install the factory fog lamps and was told I would have to program the body control module. Is this a dealer service only or can we program at home?

I was also told some control modules can't be programmed. Does anyone know which wire coming from the body control module is for the fog lamps? Does the wire/wires supply power or ground for the fog lamp circuit? Any help as always would be appreciated.

Thanks

my dealership said the same thing. but it's only if i want the factory switch to work. you can wire a switch and not have to program it. i want to do the same thing but i'm not sure if the factory kit will fit without major modification to the bumper. i've done a few searches but no solid information. the best one i found was someone with the street scene grill. i don't want to buy the kit and have it not fit.

I found factory fog lamp kits on ebay for $119-$150. I believe they will mount to the bumper bar under the cover ok but I may have to trim some of the duct for a good fit. The fog lamps on my LT that I had before the ss worked great. I am looking for a factory looking install. I know that I can get them installed ok but I did not want to pay to get the programing done if I didn't have to. We'll see :wtf:

I found factory fog lamp kits on ebay for $119-$150. I believe they will mount to the bumper bar under the cover ok but I may have to trim some of the duct for a good fit. The fog lamps on my LT that I had before the ss worked great. I am looking for a factory looking install. I know that I can get them installed ok but I did not want to pay to get the programing done if I didn't have to. We'll see :wtf:

the kit at the dealer is around $150 also. personally i would rather purchase something like that brand new from a dealership. it comes with the wiring and switch. i've seen the kit. one thing you have to realize is the bumpers structure underneath is different on the ss. crawl under yours and then a regular silverado. you'll see. i've done it. i'm not saying it can't be done, but it may need some modifying. as far as programming, my dealer said they would do it for $20. not a bad deal if you ask me.

I will look at the dealer tomorrow. Thanks for letting me know. You dealer is more foriving on the price than mine. Mine wants $62. When you checked the trucks...Did it seem as though the fogs would fit ok? I thought there would be some modifying needed but thats the nature of the beast I guess. I just havent found any aftermarkets I liked. I'm probably too picky. Are you putting them on your ss? Let me know if you have any tips.

Thanks

I have 2004 silverado that I just installed the fog lamp kit on. The dealer told me I would have to program them in (because they didnt know themselves) but you dont. Only on the 99-02 trucks you have to do this. Alot of people on the fullsize chevy website told me about this, so I bought the kit from the dealer and installed it my self. On the inside its plug and play, unplug factory switch and plug in new one. The kit includes instructions about 1 hour install and everything works just like factory.

I will look at the dealer tomorrow. Thanks for letting me know. You dealer is more foriving on the price than mine. Mine wants $62. When you checked the trucks...Did it seem as though the fogs would fit ok? I thought there would be some modifying needed but thats the nature of the beast I guess. I just havent found any aftermarkets I liked. I'm probably too picky. Are you putting them on your ss? Let me know if you have any tips.

Thanks

it helps to befriend your service manager and always go to that one everytime.

i think they could fit. but like i said the bumpers are a little different. the ss has a metal bar that the regular ones don't have and it's kind of in the way. the only way to find out for sure is to do it. i guess i will break down and do it eventually. i just don't know if i want to leave the vent grills or take them out.

same here for aftermarkets. not only do i not like any, i haven't found any that would fit good enough without looking gay.

as far as tips go, i don't know how proficient of a technician you are. i am a uti grad and worked on all types of vehicles when i got out in the field. and now i work on $300 million airplanes, so for me to say something is easy to do, may not be for others. but after looking at it and talking with the technician and service manager i think on a scale of 1-10 (10 being hardest) for the average joe blow, i would give it a 5.

hope this helps... :thumbs:

I have 2004 silverado that I just installed the fog lamp kit on. The dealer told me I would have to program them in (because they didnt know themselves) but you dont. Only on the 99-02 trucks you have to do this. Alot of people on the fullsize chevy website told me about this, so I bought the kit from the dealer and installed it my self. On the inside its plug and play, unplug factory switch and plug in new one. The kit includes instructions about 1 hour install and everything works just like factory.

yes you are right the hardware is plug and play but they told me to get the switch to operate the lights, it would need to be programmed. i don't know if it's maybe different because it's an SS or if they are just trying to make a few bucks. even though the regular silverado and SS are the same "truck", there are some idiosyncrasies. someone will just have to try it.

That someone will probably be me. I really liked my fogs on my LT. It was the first time that I saw a set of factory fog lamps that really did work well. I'm not as experienced as you but I'm not afraid to get my hand dirty. I have some suspension mods to get done on my Trans Am so I will have to fit the truck in some where. If I do get these I will try to get pics posted. We'll see. :seeya:

I just went on GM Parts Direct and found the whole GM fog light kit for $69.30. It includes the wiring and switch.

I found factory fog lamp kits on ebay for $119-$150.  I believe they will mount to the bumper bar under the cover ok but I may have to trim some of the duct for a good fit.  The fog lamps on my LT that I had before the ss worked great.  I am looking for a factory looking install.  I know that I can get them installed ok but I did not want to pay to get the programing done if I didn't have to.  We'll see :wtf:

I just went on GM Parts Direct and found the whole GM fog light kit for $69.30. It includes the wiring and switch.

:eek:

i may jump on that!!

Archived