Z06 Brake Upgrade Brackets

dkkustoms

are they a cheap and better solution to stock brakes yes they are. But there is very well designed brakes for our truck in the aftermarket area, however they are pricey. I forone have the baer 6S on the front on the same 15in rotor you guys are using... and the biggest difference i have seen in all of the pictures for one is the proper pad to roter contact. and i am also using the baer allumasport rears with twin pistons. they are not four piston calipers but after basic math, the two piston design provides more clamping power than the vette four pistons.... unless the vett calipers are modifie, which they are not.

And this is just the Bear brakes and they have now released a 4 piston rear caliper, but once again price will be an issue.

Know if you want to talk brakes there is both Brembo with their big brake kit with and 8piston calipers with 16in rotors and wilwood with their 6 piston 16in rotors that both have a matching rear kit. That will definatly put the z06 system to shame... if you have the money. And there is still other companies out there... AND REMEMBER EVEN CORVETTE OWNERS UPGRADE THEIR BRAKE SYSTEMS TO THESE, just not as much as befere.

SO to reitaraite... yes the brakes are better than stock and are a cheap alternative to all of the big name brands out there... Are they better than them NOT NECESSARLY.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are they a cheap and better solution to stock brakes yes they are. But there is very well designed brakes for our truck in the aftermarket area, however they are pricey. I forone have the baer 6S on the front on the same 15in rotor you guys are using... and the biggest difference i have seen in all of the pictures for one is the proper pad to roter contact. and i am also using the baer allumasport rears with twin pistons. they are not four piston calipers but after basic math, the two piston design provides more clamping power than the vette four pistons.... unless the vett calipers are modifie, which they are not.

And this is just the Bear brakes and they have now released a 4 piston rear caliper, but once again price will be an issue.

Know if you want to talk brakes there is both Brembo with their big brake kit with and 8piston calipers with 16in rotors and wilwood with their 6 piston 16in rotors that both have a matching rear kit. That will definatly put the z06 system to shame... if you have the money. And there is still other companies out there... AND REMEMBER EVEN CORVETTE OWNERS UPGRADE THEIR BRAKE SYSTEMS TO THESE, just not as much as befere.

SO to reitaraite... yes the brakes are better than stock and are a cheap alternative to all of the big name brands out there... Are they better than them NOT NECESSARLY.

"After basic math an oem 2 piston caliper has more clamping force than a fixed vette 4 piston"? :icon_bs: i doubt it. talk to the guys that have em installed already and rave about how great they are. very few of us have an unlimited budget, price out brembos and wilwood kits for over 6k, and this vette setup is def the way to go.

"After basic math an oem 2 piston caliper has more clamping force than a fixed vette 4 piston"? :icon_bs: i doubt it. talk to the guys that have em installed already and rave about how great they are. very few of us have an unlimited budget, price out brembos and wilwood kits for over 6k, and this vette setup is def the way to go.

I wasn't talking about an oem two piston. And like I said I don't exactly have stock brakes, nor did I say that they are bad/or a bad design. I am just simply stating that vette brakes are awsome for the price, but there is better out there, correcting a statement about how these are the end all be all brakes.

Edited by chpspecial (see edit history)

And one more thing... there is a big difference in pedal feel, ALL things being equal and the only differece is piston size, between a 6 equal size pistons (Vette) vs. 6 piston different size calipers. i.e. baer and others where there are two small pistons two medium size and two large size. The pedal feel is much more prograssive and equally distributed.

Here is a few pics to update you guys and show you what is involved in making these things.

Start with your billet blocks

img2033m.th.jpg

Every 31 minutes put a new block in, move them all over one and the last one goes into the tumbler.

img2036haw.th.jpg

An hour in each section.

img2039n.th.jpg

When its all finished you get a whole lot of this

img2038c.th.jpg

and not very many of these (two days worth)

img2029y.th.jpg

img2031.th.jpg

radiused edges so you shouldn't have to grind your calipers

img2032f.th.jpg

Had somewhat of a setback today. The machine kept giving an error code for low oil level for the ways but. Had the machine apart for a few hours but now she is running great. The part that sucks is that it kept stopping in the middle of the program so I'd come back 30 minutes after I started the program only to find that it had only run for a few minutes. Did this randomly all morning until we fixed it. Needless to say I didn't accomplish much today.

Here is a few pics to update you guys and show you what is involved in making these things.

Awesome, nice work. I know alot of you guys are chomping at the bit to do this mod. Looks like it is getting closer. :cool:

Start with your billet blocks

img2033m.th.jpg

Every 31 minutes put a new block in, move them all over one and the last one goes into the tumbler.

img2036haw.th.jpg

An hour in each section.

img2039n.th.jpg

When its all finished you get a whole lot of this

img2038c.th.jpg

and not very many of these (two days worth)

img2029y.th.jpg

img2031.th.jpg

radiused edges so you shouldn't have to grind your calipers

img2032f.th.jpg

Had somewhat of a setback today. The machine kept giving an error code for low oil level for the ways but. Had the machine apart for a few hours but now she is running great. The part that sucks is that it kept stopping in the middle of the program so I'd come back 30 minutes after I started the program only to find that it had only run for a few minutes. Did this randomly all morning until we fixed it. Needless to say I didn't accomplish much today.

send me your program I will tweak it for ya lol

I didn't write it. The guy that does all the programing and drawings did it for me. Just curious what would you change?

Oh yeah I forgot to mention too that started messing around with the rears since I have so much free time waiting for parts to be done every 31 minutes. I think I might even have them done by the time the first batch of fronts is done or shortly there after. Have to see how much water sawing cost first though.

Edited by dkkustoms (see edit history)

Still can't say 100% yet. Trying to find the right hardware proved to be a real pain. I wanted 10.9 but didn't want zinc plated too. Thanks to Ray for telling me where he got his from. I spent an entire day looking for 14 mm x 2.0 pitch x 65 mm long grade 10.9 zinc plated bolts. Ordered one "complete set" from the distributor and if all is correct will be ordering enough for the fronts and rears for the first batch. I'll say the fronts will probably be $250 and the rears probably $125 but prices also depend on the hardware, water sawing and anodizing costs. If its cheaper than I anticipate than I'll drop the price. If its more, which I doubt, I may not make the rears at all and just do the fronts.

I didn't write it. The guy that does all the programing and drawings did it for me. Just curious what would you change?

Oh yeah I forgot to mention too that started messing around with the rears since I have so much free time waiting for parts to be done every 31 minutes. I think I might even have them done by the time the first batch of fronts is done or shortly there after. Have to see how much water sawing cost first though.

hard to say what changes I would make without seeing it but 31 mins for 3 parts seems alot of time for alum parts, what speed spindle do you have 7500 10000 12500 ?

I guess time dont really matter when your doing it for yourself so to say

dont waste your money in water jet cutting you can do it in plate and leave .010" in the bottom and cut out with a knife 1 op no extra cost unless you have a water jet cutter

im doing the rears with 6 piston and bear 14" rotors x 32mm thick , that is same thickness as front 15"

have tried the rear brackets on the site but wont work with them :cheers:

Still can't say 100% yet. Trying to find the right hardware proved to be a real pain. I wanted 10.9 but didn't want zinc plated too. Thanks to Ray for telling me where he got his from. I spent an entire day looking for 14 mm x 2.0 pitch x 65 mm long grade 10.9 zinc plated bolts. Ordered one "complete set" from the distributor and if all is correct will be ordering enough for the fronts and rears for the first batch. I'll say the fronts will probably be $250 and the rears probably $125 but prices also depend on the hardware, water sawing and anodizing costs. If its cheaper than I anticipate than I'll drop the price. If its more, which I doubt, I may not make the rears at all and just do the fronts.

should use 12.9 for brake parts harder bolt and have them cad plated like gm bolts are just my 2cents

I'll look into them.

So you are making the rears for the 6 pistons calipers?

was just making for myself, but may make a few sets if peeps want them, or you can make them

not much sense both of us making them.

I have 5 sets of the 6 piston calipers

will be using 2 sets