How To Install Fog Lights

cbrsilv15

I finally put in my fog light kit today, and I will give a little how to, since there are soo many questions about it.

Start by disconnection the negative cable on the battery. You can pop out the dash bezel and replace the switch now. I removed the brace above the fuse box and pulled the box out. This is a good time to put in the relay.

post-17120-1238269735_thumb.jpg

Use a 7mm to remove the green plug on the bottom. You have to slide the small blue plastic pin out of the green plug, which is on the side of it. Pop in the wires in the D6 location, and then slide the blue pin back in. Here is a picture of the D6 location.

post-17120-1238269902_thumb.jpg

Once the wires are put in that spot, you can put the green plug back into the harness and button everything up. Just leave the wires for the fogs down to the side.

Make sure to clip everything back into place and re-install the brace above the fuse box.

I just used a dremel to cut out the fog holes, and it turned out perfect. Don't be afraid to cut it out yourself. It is a lot easier than it sounds. I just used a cutting bit for the most part, and then a sanding drum for the edges. Pop in the speed nuts on the top of the fogs, put them into place, and tighten them in.

post-17120-1238270117_thumb.jpg

Edited by cbrsilv15 (see edit history)

You can make your harness soo easily. I actually got mine from an 02 avalanche. You could go to a junkyard and buy the relay, cargo/fog switch, and all you need is a pin from the back of the green plug. You could use any wire and just crimp the pin on both of the wires together. Ziptie all the wires up and out of the way all the way down to the fogs. Just take the two grounds together from the pigtails, and ground them together. I cut off the ends, and put on 9006 plugs so I could run the Hid kit that I had from my last truck. Wire up all the ballasts underneath and make sure that everything is water tight. Re-connect the battery and enjoy the new fogs..

post-17120-1238270778_thumb.jpg

I was lucky enough that I did not need the BCM flashed to recognize the fogs. Everything is all good now, and I will have to see them in action tonight. Hope this helps out some of you.

Edited by cbrsilv15 (see edit history)

Question,,,Can these factory fog lights be wired up straight 12v with a togo swtch like the walmart type fogs????

or do they have to have something that changes the voltage???? I've found a set but don't have factory wiring & was planning to just use a togo switch mounted somewhere outta the way. will this work?

Yeah, that should work, but just make sure you have a relay in there somewhere to prevent any accidents. They should just be a straight 12v connection. No voltage changes.

Even if you don't have the factory wiring, you can just get the "tang" on the ends of the wires and crimp it on two long wires to make your own harness.

• 5 months later...
I was lucky enough that I did not need the BCM flashed to recognize the fogs. Everything is all good now, and I will have to see them in action tonight. Hope this helps out some of you.

is there a way to know if my BCM will recognize them before i start this? i would like everything to be like stock so i dont want any toggle switches or anything like that.

also, if i did have to re-flash my BCM how much would that cost?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I finally put in my fog light kit today, and I will give a little how to, since there are soo many questions about it.

Start by disconnection the negative cable on the battery. You can pop out the dash bezel and replace the switch now. I removed the brace above the fuse box and pulled the box out. This is a good time to put in the relay.

well it is easy as you said.. i too install it in the same way during winters... it is impossible to travel without them... thanks for the post buddy...

well it is easy as you said.. i too install it in the same way during winters... it is impossible to travel without them... thanks for the post buddy...