Removing The Front Drive Shaft

so heres what i wana know, if i took off my front drive shaft, would it damage or be hard on anything??? or has anyone else done it?? i bought new tire and before i put them on i want to burn them off and have some fun.. what do you guys think??

thanks man, so i guess i gotta soup it up a lil, any suggestions on some cheaper mods that will help me beable to do some awd donuts?? i only got 25K on my truck and i dont want to over do it yet, at least not until i pay her off.

well I got some confusing answers reading all that!! It seems like it is a bad idea... I can tell you from personal experiance I got the bright idea to take out the shaft. The truck sucked until you hit about 20 or 30 mph then... hold on and counter steer cause gm def. made this truck awd for a reason. Had a fun day or so but 1 day later i got on the highway to go home after work and after getting up to speed all of the sudden my truck stopped accelerating... motor racing... stomach in throat. The truck just turned out to be stuck in front wheel drive. luckly I had the shaft in the truck and was able to put it back in on the side of the road. It has been fine since and yes it has been driven through deep snow. Hope this helps your decision.

You can remove the front drive shaft to run your truck on a RWD dyno, thats all.......if you drive on the street without a front drive shaft, YOU WILL damage the viscous clutches in your transfer case.......in other words you will destroy it.

You can remove the front drive shaft to run your truck on a RWD dyno, thats all.......if you drive on the street without a front drive shaft, YOU WILL damage the viscous clutches in your transfer case.......in other words you will destroy it.

exactly.. :)

I've dynoed mine 10+ times with the front driveshaft out.. but NEVER use your brakes.. or drive on the street..

= T-case :M16:

I dont really understand why you would want to take out the dront driveshaft in the first place?? If you want to burnouts, buy a 2WD...or start modding. I removed mine for dyno purposes only, and taking special precausions while doing it. Theres a reason why you can get these trucks in 2WD and not just AWD.....

• 5 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...