Msd Ignition Coils

ANGRY6LITER

I have an 04 SS so I can only attest that this info is 100% accurate for 2004's. (Though I cant imagine it is different for any of the other years) First, you need Part Number 8247 coil packs. They list as LS2/LS7 but these are the ones you need because of two things: bolt pattern and harness plug location.

The second thing you will need is some 1/4" spacers to go between the MSD coil and the factory coil mount bracket. I used HILLMAN 5/16"-18 Nylon Hex Nuts from LOWES. These work good for several reasons, they have some give when you torque the bolts down and they are very resilient to heat.

The bolts supplied by MSD are used for mounting the coils to the factory bracket.

The next thing you need to do is remove your factory coils and the the factory mounting brackets. Completely remove the wiring harnesses from the brackets to avoid damage to them while grinding.

Next grind on the mounting holes of the coil brackets at the top and bottom to make clearance for the MSD coils. (See picture to give you an idea of how much has to be taken away) I used a MSD coil, bolts and spacers to test the fit of every hole. (Thats what she said) :jester:

After all the grinding and test fitting I went ahead and sprayed my brackets down with some gloss black paint to prevent rust. Let em dry then reinstall your wiring harnesses. (Note: My coil bracket has one piece cut off on the drivers side for supercharger clearance)

Now bolt your coil brackets back to your valve covers and install all your coil packs with the Nylon Hex nut spacers and MSD bolts. I put some blue Loc-Tite on the bolts and tighted them down till I was confident I had the bolts at least flush with the back of the coil bracket. This should hold well as the MSD bolts supplied are non-tapered. Now connect all your wiring harness plugs and spark plug wires.

Enjoy your pretty red $700 MSD coils!

post-13709-1236040122_thumb.jpg

post-13709-1236040155_thumb.jpg

post-13709-1236040191_thumb.jpg

post-13709-1236040233_thumb.jpg

post-13709-1236055866_thumb.jpg

Edited by ANGRY6LITER (see edit history)

Honestly, not really. But I had a factory coil pack that was jacked up and said to hell with it. I have used alot of MSD products on multiple vehicles and never had a problem out of them, plus they have great customer service. So while its alot of money, it should be a very long time if ever that I have a coil pack problem. They also claim 3 times more sparking power than factory coils so I figured it would be a good idea anyways since Im supercharged. :chevy:

• 3 months later...

I just had to post a follow up on these things. First I have to say that I have had nothing but good luck with MSD's products...

Until...

I had multiple pack failures within the first 2000 miles of having installed these things. Multiple/random cylinder misfire codes, and had at least 3 pack failures at 2 different times. Luckily I was still in my 90 day "good faith" window with Summit Racing. I returned them for a full refund. I put on 8 new Borg-Warner coil packs ($35 each) from PepBoys and have had absolutely no problems since. Maybe it was just my bad luck, but I have since heard other people say the same thing. Another guy enlightened me as to what MSD stands for... "My Spark Disappears" LOL. :jester:

• 1 month later...