Cam Choice Guide And Question Post

zippy

Year of truck:2004

Model:silverado ss

Trans:flt l5

Converter:yank tt2600

Gear:stock

Tires:stock

List of current mods:magnacharger, 2.9 pully, long tubes...

Possible future mods:cam, efans, meth, drag radials on 17's, heads (what would you recommend?)

Goals for truck: run low 12's

Uses of the truck:Weekend driver, if that. never tow

If your goal is to run a low 12 that won't be too difficult. With all of the cams I've seen used with the MP112 Radix so far I'd say the GT2-3 is in the hard to beat catagory. The blower really has a hard time keeping up airflow wise with much more intake duration than that cam comes with. I'd go with the GT2-3 LPE cam and look for a set of ported 243 cylinder heads with chambers opened up to around a 67cc. This will get your compression in the mid 10's giving you more power out of the low boost the blower makes. The 243 heads ported also flow well depending on who you have do them which is a good combo with a small camshaft.

I might be throwing a set of heads on the truck and a cam in as well. I want a higher C/R and a cam with good power and torque. A rough idle doesn't bother me as I like the sound with it. Any suggestions for combos?

Not sure if I've answered this one already, but at 5AM my mind is thinking TFS225's with a Comp 277LrHR13 rounded off with a 2800-3200 stall.

I hope this thread is still active. Zippy I could really use your help. Year of truck: 2003 Model: SS awd Trans: 4L65E Converter: stock Gear: 4:10 Tires: stock List of current mods: Banks cold air intake, e cut outs. Possible future mods: I am setting up for a L92 head and intake swap. Custom tune and banks headers. Possible TCI 6X trans. Goals of truck: To get as much street able hp as possible with a decent 1/4 mile while maintaining reliability. I am looking for usable hp with a nice lope sound. Uses of truck: DD and weekend 1/4 mile drag. I was thinking about running the gmpp LS6 cam 207/217 .525/.525 LSA 116 or maybe gmpp ASA 226/236 .525/.525 LSA 110. I would like to stick with gm if possible. What do you think? Or can I get away with the LS7 cam? 211/230 .593/.590 LSA 120? Any help would be awsome. Thanks for your help.

The ASA cam is a great cam for power other than it's low lift if you're looking for a cam from GM. You may want to also look into the standard GM hotcam. That is 218/227 .525/.525 on a 112LSA. That is probably closer to the power and drivability that you're looking for from a GM cam. Do not use the TCI trans though. Stick with an RPM, Rossler, or FLT.

Year of truck:2003

Model:AWD SSS

Trans: Stock 4L65E

Converter:Stock

Gear:4.10

Tires:275/55/20

List of current mods:Home made ram air, Ported/polished 317s (done by Lloyd Elliott and flow approx 295/210), Harland Sharp 1.7 rockers, Patriot Gold Duals, Trick Flow Hardened pushrods, stock valves, Fel-Pro .041" head gaskets, currently running a 218*214* - .581" lift in and out (recommended by Lloyd), Pacesetter LTs, custom 3" intermediate piping, stock muffler and catback, MSD wires, blackBear tuned, with full TQ management to preserve the tranny.

Possible future mods:No major plans. The heads are staying, but I am all ears for a new cam/converter combo (or maybe just a converter) to get this pig moving.

Goals for truck: I want it to be a street monster. Power on demand in the 0 to 80 mph range. I don't really go to the track, but I want great off idle acceleration, with good mid and top end gains. The cam that I am running now has good mid and great top end, but is a dog off idle (I have a feeling a converter is in order).

Thanks in advance.

Nick.

The cam you're running right now shouldn't have any issue's with being a dog off the line. You are deffinitly in need of a converter if this is the case. At the very minimum put a TB converter in there or buy a 2600 Yank. That should get you just enough to do the job. If torque off idle is your thing go with the Comp Cams 265LrHR12. That cam with your heads and a mild stall will get you about as much torque as you're really going to dig up without upping compression or adding boost.

i'm also interested

Year of truck: 2004

Model: silverado ss

Trans: stock

Converter: stock

Gear: unsure, how do i check?

Tires: stock 20s in the summer, and 17s in the winter

List of current mods: AEM intake, Edelbrock shorties, Corsa Sport, cut out, high flow cats, MSD Wires.

Possible future mods: Cam, S/C (depending on funds)

Goals for truck: i just want it to be a sleeper. i want it to be quick, but reliable.

Uses of the truck: commuter, occasional towing.

I certainly see what you're looking for. I'd go with something in the mild range like the 216/220 .561/.564 on a 114LSA from LEP. That cam is an in house grind that we had done to fine tune what we wanted out of our grinds compared to another similiar off the shelf grind. I'd use LS6 springs with it and hav a nice tune done. This cam will work well with even a stock converter with good tuning and will pull well to 6200rpm.

is this cam good for a lil nitrous here and there lol

Yes, sure is. It's not a nitrous specific cam, but many have used nitrous with this cam and had good results. Nitrous seems to work very well no matter what cam you are running. :jester: For a regular use of spray I'd pick a different cam, but this one would be just fine for the occasional spray.

Zippy,

I have been following your posts and have found them to be extremely informative. Along with many of the threads that are on this forum. I have been researching the idea of putting a cam in my truck for quite some time. Ok, better than two years but until I found this forum I thought I was dreaming a pipe dream. Its not the lack of motivation, it is that the problem that I face is I live out here in California. Yes, we have great weather and beautiful girls along with liberals and CARB "California Air Resource Board" the last two I can do without, oh-well the price we have to pay to live out here. We have that stupid smog sniffer up the tailpipe and I have heard of some horrific stories of cars failing. There is not a whole lot of knowledge or experience with respect to adding a cam to a daily driver and getting it to pass the smog sniffer out here :banghead: . Some say "oh ya you can put this in it" and then I would say "great, do you know how it passed smog." Their reply :dunno: . I have been looking into the GMPP Hot Cam kit. I am not looking to over cam the engine nor make it into an et bracket monster. I would like it to have a different sound and a choppy idle. I am not really looking into changing the intake or heads because I think I would get a better bang for my buck if I were to go with a super charger. The budget has to be realistic that why I am shying away from the FI. I live in the San Fransisco Bay Area and we just don't have a lot of long open roads to make use of a top end engine but some rolling hills where a low to mid range engine would really shine. I have found PCMforless and have exchanged some emails with them. I do really like the two cam's that they have ie Rob and Attitude style. Those two have a real nice lope to them. Which leads me into the second part tuning.

I have been looking into both EFILive and HP Tuners to get everything dialed in. Of course I do not have a dyno at my disposal in my garage "that would be cool" but I am starting to think it might be wise to send off my PCM to ether Wheatly, PCMforless or Black Bear just for the ease of getting things "right." In the quest to make things work together what stall convert and speed do you recommend?

Year of truck:03

Model:sss

Trans:oem "for now"

Converter:oem

Tires:305 40 22

List of current mods:Corvette C6 Z06 calipers and drilled rotors on all for corners. ordered up a trans servo and shift improvement kit. Looking forward to putting it in next month.

Possible future mods:CAM, Stall Converter, CAI, Headers ST or LT, PCM Tune, and E-fans.

Goals for truck: attitude at the stop light and what the heck kick some a$ when I smash the floor mat.

Uses of the truck:daily driver

Thanks again for looking this over!

Year of truck: 2004

Model:silverad 2500hd

Trans:4l80e

Converter:stock

Tires:285/75/16

List of current mods:wheatly tune, msd wires, trk5 plugs, magnaflow high flow cats, magnaflow muffler, slp 160 stat, TCI flexplate, and K&N intake.

Possible future mods:port and polish tb,shift kit, shorty headers, zippy tune, and maybe a few other things can't think of off the top of my head.

Goals for truck:low 14's

Uses of the truck:DD, one day it will be a garge queen.

I would like your suggestion for this truck if you've got the time..

Year of truck: 2002 (retrofitted in 1969 C-10)

Model: Silverado 1500 (5.3L)

Trans:4L60E, stock

Converter: stock

Gear: 3.73 posi

Tires:275/60/15 rear, and 255/60/15 front.

List of current mods: Shorty Headers, 3" pipes into Y into flowmaster dual exhaust, aeromotive pressure regulator, 5.7l corvette intake, has a cold air intake kind of, no cats, all corvette front engine brackets. Thats all I can think of right now.

Possible future mods: Cam, electric cutout, tune

Goals for truck: Make it have a nice cammed idle but get some more power probably torque, and drivablilty.

Uses of the truck: Driving to car shows, driving on sunny days only in the summer (not to often), cruising around town and thats about it.

The stock torque converter somewhat limits the camshaft range for your setup. The new series from Comp though will work with that and still give you your goals. I recomend the 265LrHR12. I recomend this cam with a set of Comp 918 springs. With good tuning this cam will pull to about 6200-6400 and have pretty good power right off idle. The idle will be slightly choppy at about 650rpm.

Yes, sure is. It's not a nitrous specific cam, but many have used nitrous with this cam and had good results. Nitrous seems to work very well no matter what cam you are running. :jester: For a regular use of spray I'd pick a different cam, but this one would be just fine for the occasional spray.

Well from ur knowledge what cam do u recommend becuz i will be using nitrous as my power adder

Year of truck:2002

Model:silverado 1500 ext cab 2wd 4.8

Trans:stock 4l60

Gear:stock i believe 3.73

Tires:ft.255/40r20 rear 265/35r22

List of current mods:k&n intake, cat back dual exhaust

Possible future mods:headers,t-stat, tru duals

Goals for truck:my goal is just to have it sounding real lopey and havin a bit of extra power

Uses of the truck:weekend cruiser

i live in california so any info on carb legal cams would be much appreciated.

i would like to know which cam to pair up with a converter and which gears to put in to actually light up both rear wheels.also everything that would be best to go with the cam in the, lifters etc. thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Year of truck:2002

Model:silverado 1500 ext cab 2wd 4.8

Trans:stock 4l60

Gear:stock i believe 3.73

Tires:ft.255/40r20 rear 265/35r22

List of current mods:k&n intake, cat back dual exhaust

Possible future mods:headers,t-stat, tru duals

Goals for truck:my goal is just to have it sounding real lopey and havin a bit of extra power

Uses of the truck:weekend cruiser

i live in california so any info on carb legal cams would be much appreciated.

i would like to know which cam to pair up with a converter and which gears to put in to actually light up both rear wheels.also everything that would be best to go with the cam in the, lifters etc. thanks

You are asking for quite a bit out of the cam. A lopey idle and emissions legal is hard to get. I'll dig through my catalogue's at work today.

Year of truck:2003

Model:Silverado SS

Trans:Fully built

Converter:2800 stall

Gear:stock

Tires:22's on 305/40/22

List of current mods:Holty cam (218º/224º .563"/.568" 114ºlsa) , 918 spings, titanium retainers, pacsetter long tubes, no cats, full 3inch exhaust, e-fans, aem brute force, 42# injectors, walbrol 255 fuel pump, pcmforless tune, talyor 409 race wires, airraid throttle body spacer

Possible future mods:nice heads, maybe boost

Goals for truck:street truck just holds its own.. like to hit 12's some day.

Uses of the truck:street-strip sees road couple times a week..

other: want real lopy. cam now is ok but i want it to lope harder.

If you want more lope than you have that will be easy. Since you went with a 2800 stall you have some room for a duration change. I'd go with the Trick Flow TFS-30602003 cam. The specs on it are 228/230 .585/.585 on a 112LSA. This cam will have about all of the duration you'll be able to use with that 2800 stall. Between the duration and the 112LSA this cam will give you a decent lope. The 918 springs you have should be fine which with this cam which will make the swap go smoothly. Getting the V.E. table tuned in well will get the idle right where you'll like it at about 700-750rpm. This isn't much of a cam for boost, but it will work well if you stay N/A for a while. A good set of heads will really work well with this camshaft.

hello zippy i hope your still giving advice on the cams :P

Year of truck:2004

Model:Silverado SS AWD

Trans:stock

Gear:4:10

Tires:stock

List of current mods:K&N cai, cat back w/10 series flowmater, Krambo tune

Possible future mods:servos, stall convertor, maybe new heads, nitrous

Goals for truck:beating my friends lightly modified 08 gt, getting in to the 13's

Uses of the truck:DD

loud enough to make people roll up their windows when im at idle :D

I'm assuming you're a bit more on the mild side and there is a cam that has been old faithfull for what I see in your list. The Comp Cam 54-424-11 is a 212/218 .558/,563 on a 115LSA. This cam has a low enough duration that it drives around alot like a stock LS6 cam, but has just enough overlap to help extend it's powerband. This cam has worked very well over the years with stock torque converters to 2800 stall in SSS trucks and responds very well to nitrous. The 6 degree split I/E helps it work well even without headers and with headers the split will help if you shoot it with spray. A good set of cylinder heads like a ported 243 would really compliment the cam by extending it's powerband even more and really loading up the torque down low. I'd recomend this cam with a set of LS6 springs. Stall converter not required, but at least a TB converter or Yank 2600 is recomended for better low end response.

Well from ur knowledge what cam do u recommend becuz i will be using nitrous as my power adder

I would change the selection to the XER273HR then. You'll want to use a Comp 918 or equivalent spring.