zippy

hopefully post is still active?

Year of truck: 2005

Model:ss silverado

Trans:?stock

Converter:2600

Gear:4:10

Tires:22 45 305

List of current mods: pc1 procharger, 75 wet shot nos, exhaust, no header but will get, camero heads w\zo6 springs and hot cam, 414 strocker kit

Possible future mods: headers, cut outs, fast intake, air flow heads

Goals for truck: speed but drivability

Uses of the truck: grocery getter haha

Year of truck:2002

Model:silverado 4.8L

Trans:stock

Converter:stock

Gear:stock

Tires:front 255/45r20 rear 265/40r22

List of current mods: k&n intake, flowmaster exhaust

Possible future mods: LT HEADERS, POSI,TUNE. CONVERTER AND SHIFT KIT SAMETIME AS CAM.

Goals for truck: A BAD ASS DAILY DRIVER

Uses of the truck: DAILY DRIVEN AND HUSTLIN

CAN ALSO GIVE ME ADVICE ON CONVERTER AND SHIFT KIT. THANKS ZIPPY

What you're looking for is going to be difficult. You need alot of power and with a stock converter. I'd recomend a cam ground on LSK lobes (grinds 2124 and 2125) with specs of 215/219 .629/.632 on a 112LSA. You'd probably have to custom order the cam as I don't believe this is an available base grind yet. I would recomend a very good hardened pushrod and very good valve springs like the Patriot Dual Golds. If you added a good set of heads down the road like some TFS225's or so you'd have one hell of a screamer on your hands with decent low rpm torque. This is more of an N/A cam though. If you went with a blower this isn't the cam I'd pick.

Would you suggest 3.73s instead of 4.10s? Because i have those laying around in the garage and can switch it if it would be better.

• 2 weeks later...

Model: Silverado VHO

Trans: 4L65E

Converter: 2800

Gear: 3.73

Tires: 285/55/R20

List of current mods: CAI, LT's, high flow cats, cutouts, magnaflow, plugs/wires

Possible future mods: Nitrous

Goals for truck: High 12's (for now =D )

Uses of the truck: seems like all I really use it for lately is help ppl move :(

• 2 weeks later...

Year of truck:2004

Model:silverado RST

Trans:5 speed

Converter:

Gear:3.73

Tires:285/45/20

List of current mods:jba shorties, 6.0 engine swap, k&n cold air

Possible future mods:TBSS intake manifold and some port work on the heads

Goals for truck:

hey zippy ive been reading this post about cams and well from what im reading it seems that the stall converter has to do alot with the cam u pick . since my truck is stick shift does that matter alot becuase im looking into buying a cam just dont know wich one can u advise me on a good one my truck is a daily driver and i want something that will give me power and well sound mean and agressive.

I am thinking of a cam and spring upgrade, but I have only put cams in carbed motors, so I am wondering what would be a good cam for my SSS.

I have: CAI, Magnaflow dual 3" in and out muffler, 160* stat, Tuned PCM, Taylor wires, NGK TR55 plugs, Prototype Trans-Go 4l65e transmission fully built, my trans guy told me the converter he put in was about 300 over stock stall so whatever that would be. It is my daily driver, but i'm in the go pedal alot. The truck pulls hard from 2500rpms on but needs a boost in the low end. I don't want a cam that's to aggressive in it but a nice streetable and occasional 1320 cam. In the future i'm planning on heads and a manifold swap, but want to keep the stock exh manifolds and do some porting with them to keep the engine looking stock. I don't mind getting the PCM remapped either after the cam. Also would you recommend new pushrods? I know you are tied up in this thread alone, but I appreciate your expertise and willingness to help all of us out with your knowledge on our trucks. Thanks for your time.

The cam I'd recomend from your list of info is in the new LSR line from Comp Cams. It is a 215/223 .604/.610 on a 112LSA. This cam will make plenty of low rpm power with a shift point of around 6200 on your truck without headers. The 8 degrees of I/E split will be a good thing with your truck not having headers. I would get a set of hardened pushrods, but they don't have to be any pricey brand. Just a set of PEP or something like them would be just fine. For springs I'd go with the Comp 918's or a set of Patriout Dual Golds. You will certainly need the pcm tuned in for this cam. Idle should be just fine at around 650rpm with a light lope.

Don't know if this thread is still going but here goes lol

Model: Joe gibbs Silverado ex 5.3

Trans: stock

Converter: stock

Gear: stock 3.73

Tires: 275-55R-20 GoodYears

List of current mods: CAI, Borla Exhaust (and the Super Charger only boosting 5 psi)

Possible future mods: Headers, Underdrive pulley (3.0), cam, heads, Tune (not sure what tune is best), converter, (and debating on 4.10 gears)

Goals for truck: Respectable street truck, low Et, nice lopey sound, and give the local Camaro racing team a run for its money :cheers:

Uses of the truck: Daily driver, drags on the weekeneds

For a cam for this truck I'd go with the old reliable GT2-3 from Lingenfelter. You will see a decent gain in hp and torque over stock with a very smooth idle keeping the blower slap from being an annoying problem. I would deffinitly do a swap to the 4.10 gear simply due to the tire height. That would put you in at about 2150rpm at 70mph with the converter locked. Much closer to where the 5.3L is happy with moving that much weight around. For cylinder heads I'd go with PRC stage 2.5 5.3L heads. Those heads with that cam would be a very happy pair. As for the headers I'd also recomend looking into the American Racing 1 7/8" headers. With your 3.0" pulley you should be in at around 9-11psi of boost and you want to do everything you can to get that exhaust out. The better the exhaust is the more timing you can safely run. I'd look into a 2800 stall from Precision Industries (Vigilante) or a TCS.

Year of truck:2005

Model:GMC Sierra 1500 RCSB

Trans:4L60E w/ Corvette and Billet servos

Converter:Stock

Gear:3:73

Tires:275/55R20, soon to be 275/45R20

List of current mods:LQ9/LT's/no cats/dual exhaust with single flow 40/K&N CAI/160* Thermo/Custom Tune

Possible future mods:243 heads/TB Stall (unlikely, but possible)

Goals for truck: DD'able/375rwhp cam only, 400rwhp cam&heads/Choppy idle/off-idle to 6200ish powerband with good low end torque, but plenty high end pull

Uses of the truck: DD, Tow 16ft bass boat, haul harley sportser, would like to be able to tow another car

Some are going to think I'm stuck on a certain cam, but it's just that this cam works well for what is a common set of goals and modifications. I would recomend the Comp Cams LSR 265Lr HR12 part number 54-455-11 which has spec's of 215/223 .604/.610 on a 112LSA. I would install some Comp 918 springs or Patriot Dual Golds to go with it as well as some pushrods due to the lift. Tune this in well and you'll have a nice idle at around 650rpm with power everywhere in the powerband.

• 2 weeks later...

Year of truck:2004

Model:silverado ss

Trans:flt l5

Converter:yank tt2600

Tires:stock

List of current mods:magnacharger, 2.9 pully, long tubes...

Possible future mods:cam, efans, meth, drag radials on 17's, heads (what would you recommend?)

Goals for truck: run low 12's

Uses of the truck:Weekend driver, if that. never tow

Edited by jboyss (see edit history)

Year of Truck: 2006

Model: Silverado SS (Black)

Trans: 4L60E with Zippy shift kit, steal gear set, 2600 stall

Gear: stock

Tires: Stock

List of current mods: Radix 112 (3.2 pulley), Corsa sport, dynatec LTs, your tune, 90mm TB, K&N 77 CAI, dual intercoolers.

Future mods: cal trac traction bars, cam, Z06 brake set up, maybe a 2.8 pulley, 160 stat

Goals for truck: keep it reliable, would like to get into the low 12s

Uses of truck: DD, don't really tow but would like to be able to if i need to, she takes my dirt bike to the track at least 2 times a week

Thanks for doing this Zippy and I will be in Vegas next month! I will let you know details when I get them.

With your truck knowing what all you use it for and the kind of results you really want to get out of it I'd recomend the old faithfull Lingenfelter GT2-3 cam. You'll keep the same smooth as silk idle you have now with a decent power increase. I'd recomend going to a 3.0" pulley, 160 stat, and SVO greentop injectors. With everything tuned in right and a good tire on the truck it shouldn't have any problem getting into the mid to low 12's. You're close enough now to come out to the shop I work for and get it dyno tuned this time.

hopefully post is still active?

Model:ss silverado

Trans:?stock

Converter:2600

Gear:4:10

Tires:22 45 305

List of current mods: pc1 procharger, 75 wet shot nos, exhaust, no header but will get, camero heads w\zo6 springs and hot cam, 414 strocker kit

Possible future mods: headers, cut outs, fast intake, air flow heads

Goals for truck: speed but drivability

Uses of the truck: grocery getter haha

I would look into the cam from Thunder Racing "TR Blower Cam". The spec's on it are 214/230 .601/.579 on a 117LSA. With your 414 this cam should drive around almost like stock with only a mild lope to the idle at around 650rpm. I would recomend using Patriot Dual Gold springs to go with this cam due to the lift and ramp rate. I would certainly recomend looking into some 1 7/8" headers from American Racing. You'll also want to look into stepping up to the D1SC as the P1SC is even a bit small on the stock 6.0L. Going to a set of AFR225's or even some TFS 225 or 235's would be a huge step up and would make for a nice match to a Fast 102 with a Comtech throttle body.

Year of truck:2002

Model:silverado 4.8L

Trans:stock

Converter:stock

Tires:front 255/45r20 rear 265/40r22

List of current mods: k&n intake, flowmaster exhaust

Possible future mods: LT HEADERS, POSI,TUNE. CONVERTER AND SHIFT KIT SAMETIME AS CAM.

Goals for truck: A BAD ASS DAILY DRIVER

Uses of the truck: DAILY DRIVEN AND HUSTLIN

CAN ALSO GIVE ME ADVICE ON CONVERTER AND SHIFT KIT. THANKS ZIPPY

I would go with one of the new LSR cam profiles from Comp Cams. I would recomend using the 215/223 .604/.610 on a 112LSA. This cam is a bit on the big side for a 4.8L, but with the quick ramp rates and the 5 degrees of advance ground into the cam it should work out well in the small 4.8L. You'll want a good spring like a Comp 918 minimum or a set of PRC Dual Golds as well as some good brand hardened pushrods. Your idle will be around 700 once tuned in and shift points of around 6500-6900. I'd recomend using a converter with a stall speed of around 3000-3200. If the truck is used more for fun than any real work I'd even say go as high as a 3600 stall since the small cubes of the 4.8L needs more rpm to make torque. I can take care of you on the shift kit and converter, just call me on it. Not sure what gear you have but a 3.73 would be a minimum. For best results I'd recomend a 4.10 gear.

Would you suggest 3.73s instead of 4.10s? Because i have those laying around in the garage and can switch it if it would be better.

Certainly no. With a tire that tall and only running a 4.8L I'd recomend the 4.10 gear you already have or a 4.56 gear. A 4.30 would be a great in between if you could find it, but I believe only Motive gear makes it. Big tire and small cubes mean lots of gear to make things happy including the transmission.

Model: Silverado VHO

Trans: 4L65E

Converter: 2800

Gear: 3.73

Tires: 285/55/R20

List of current mods: CAI, LT's, high flow cats, cutouts, magnaflow, plugs/wires

Possible future mods: Nitrous

Goals for truck: High 12's (for now =D )

Uses of the truck: seems like all I really use it for lately is help ppl move :(

For your truck I'd recomend using the XER273HR from Comp Cams. The spec's on it are 224/230 .581/.591 on a 114LSA. With your 2800 stall you'll have a fun truck from idle to 6700rpm or so with a shift point of around 6400 or so. I'd recomend some Comp 918 springs with some good brand hardened pushrods. That cam with your mods on some 28" drag radials tuned in well should get you into the 12's or damn close. Your truck would be a good candidate for the new Fast intake if you want 12's. I would recomend going to a 4.10 gear also.