Cam Choice Guide And Question Post

zippy

Damn, quite a list again. I'll be answering this weekend. We've been working on new cam grinds at work and having excellent results with them. I'll be adding more cam choices soon from grinds that I was personally involved in.

Year of truck: 2004

Model: SS

Trans: stock

Converter: stock

Gear: stock

Tires: stock

List of current mods: Volant air box w/ ram air scoop, Hypertech III programer (I will be taking this off eventually and yes I know I should have done a custom tune )

Possible future mods: headers, exhaust, lifters maybe, custom tune

Goals for truck: just to be a little faster

Uses of the truck: cruising

What's your recommendation?

Year of truck:2006

Model:sss

Trans:stock

Converter:stock(will change if needed)

Gear:3.73(fixing to get 4.10)

Tires:stock

List of current mods:cai, flowmasters exhaust

Possible future mods:headers, cam, nitrous, n down the road a sts turbo n or a stroker kit!!

Goals for truck:to make good et times n to b able to kill my friends jeep srt8 lol

Uses of the truck:as a dd, i almost never haul!!!

thanks!!!

I'd recomend the XR275HR from Comp Cams. It's not likely going to get you to beat the SRT8, but you may have a shot at it on the highway. I'd recomend a 2600 or so stall to go with the 4.10 gear to help get it off the line. Headers would also be a nice add with this cam.

theres alot of good info here but u cant beat a custom grind and also a favorable cam for daily drivers and racing machines is the 228r wich is a 228/228 with a 581/581 lift with ur choice of lsa id say 112 n/a 114 for n2o and 116 for boost

• 2 weeks later...

Model:VHO

Trans: stock

Converter:Stock

Gear:Stock

Tire:20'General Tires(Grabber UHP)

List of current mods:CAI,Flowmasters

Possible Mods:Cam,Headers,Wheatley or Blackbear programmer,internals,supercharger.

Goals for truck: Blow Srt-10 out of the water....

Use of truck: Weekend Cruiser after mods are done.

theres alot of good info here but u cant beat a custom grind and also a favorable cam for daily drivers and racing machines is the 228r wich is a 228/228 with a 581/581 lift with ur choice of lsa id say 112 n/a 114 for n2o and 116 for boost

A custom grind is great, but most are happy with simple off the shelf grinds. Many of the fastest trucks out there are running of the shelf cams.

Year of truck: 2006

Model: SS

Trans: 4L65e

Converter: 2800

Gear: 3:73

Tires: 305/50/20 rear 285/50/ 20 front

List of current mods: 160 stat, zippy shift kit+(servos), rebuilt/ rebanded trans, 2800 stall, jba headers, wait4me tune, jba wires, volant w/tube, 2.5 dual exhaust dumped, dropped 2/2

Possible future mods: L92 heads/ L76 intake, maybe a 100 shot down the road

Goals for truck: low 13's maybe 12's / smoke a couple of coupes and titans

Uses of the truck: Daily driven but garaged when im out of the country. Pull a small trailer back and forth from Home Depot(house projects)

Look at the Lunati line of cams but any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the time Zippy!

I'd recomend the 60511 if you are going with the Lunati line. That cam will work well with your current setup and has enough split for L92's if you want to run it and not change the cam. With your 2800 stall it should be very streetable and very strong with a shift point of around 6200-6400.

Year of truck:2004.5

Model:Silverado 2500HD

Trans: 4l80

Converter:Stock

Gear:3.73

Tires:35's

List of current mods:Tune,intake,headers (LT),exhaust,injectors,rods

Possible future mods:Unknown

Goals for truck:get off the line quicker / go threw the gears quicker

Uses of the truck: daily driven, haul lightly

I'd recomend the LEP daily driver cam. The spec's are 216/220 .561/.564 on a on a 114LSA. That cam will idle almost like stock at around 650rpm and should make very good low end torque. I'd recomend using the LS6 springs to go with it. Link

Year of truck:2005

Model:Silverado 4.8

Trans:stock

Converter: stock

Gear:4.10

Tires: 305/40R22

List of current mods: pacesetter LT no cats with borla muffler, diablo programmer, K&N FIPK

Possible future mods: shift kit, torque converter (2600 or 3000), 160 thermostat, dyno tune

Goals for truck: more power and responsive, specifically from low to mid

Uses of the truck: daily driver on weekdays and drag racing on weekends

Thumpr 275THR7

i have a 04 silverado 6.0 5 speed and ive been looking into this new comp cam thumpr do u think it willbe a goos application for my truck

Not much info on the truck, but as long as you don't mind a very rough idle and terrible low speed drivability you will be fine with that cam. I don't see where you would have any reason to chose that cam over others out there.

Year of truck:2003

Model:Silverado with LS7

Trans:neal racing automatic

Converter:stock

Gear:4:10

Tires:18's

List of current mods:none

Possible future mods:lingenfelter supercharger,magnaflow exhaust

Goals for truck:11's and fun on the streets :jester:

Uses of the truck:mainly use at the track, ride around town maybe every other weekend

There

Very odd cam request. From the very little info on your truck I'd say look into the GT1-1 cam from LPE.

Model: SSS

Trans: Stock

Converter: Stock

Gear: Stock (4:10's) AWD

Tires: Stock

List of current mods: CAI, Dual Exhaust

Possible future mods: Headers, cat delete, 160* stat, custom tune

Goals for truck: Noticable performance and exhaust lope from cam

Uses of the truck: Daily driver, some light towing

Any info you ca provide for a cam would be greatly appreciated. Its not an Immediate upgrade that i plan on doing but i'd like to get a ballpark of where i need to go with it. PM me or repost on here, ill keep checking back. Thanks, Zach.

I'd recomend the Texas Speed TSP220 ground on a 112LSA with Comp 918 springs. With good tuning you'll be getting decent off idle torque with a good idle at around 650-700rpm or so. Headers will be important with this cam along with a good header back system.