Cam Choice Guide And Question Post

zippy

Hey can I put a cam in my ss silverado it has 109,000miles magnaflow exaust k&n cold air emc tune done buy Kessler performance I would like to but a cam in it but i don't have a idea of what find to get I would like a cheap comp cam

Hey can I put a cam in my ss silverado it has 109,000miles magnaflow exaust k&n cold air emc tune done buy Kessler performance I would like to but a cam in it but i don't have a idea of what find to get I would like a cheap comp cam

you need to be much more specific for Zippy to help you out. Is your truck a daily driver, is it a weekend truck, is it moslty on the street or do you want the max et out of it at the track. Do you tow with it, are you going to put a stall converter in. what are your goals for the truck, do you just want it to sound mean or do you want to turn over all 4 tires on a launch. Are you shooting for a high 13 second truck, a mid 13 second truck, a low 13 second truck or even a 12 second truck. Are you keeping the stock intake, keeping stock heads. everything you can tell him about your plans for it will help in his recomendation.

Welcome to modding!

Brad

• 4 weeks later...

Need another cam suggestion from the wizard, had one from you about a year ago but a few things have changed and now cam is next on my to do list. Thanks in advance Zippy!

Year of truck: 2004

Model: SS

Trans: Danny built 65e

Converter: TCS 3000

Gear: stock 4.10 front/rear

Tires: stock

List of current mods: LTs, hi flow cats, single 3.5" exhaust with magnaflow 22'', cai, 160* tstat, Wheatley tune, taylor wires

Possible future mods: e-fans

Goals for truck: decent street manners, would like to keep it above 10 mgp in town :P probably will only see the track a few times in its life. Really want something that sounds and drives mean.

Uses of the truck: daily driver, some very light towing (not much if ever but would like to be able to if needed)

want a cam recommendation.

Sss

278mm circle d

trans go shift kit, servo

and supporting mods in sig.

dd, want good street manners but stilll a good notice in power gain. a good chop at idle.

thanks alex.

• 3 weeks later...

Need another cam suggestion from the wizard, had one from you about a year ago but a few things have changed and now cam is next on my to do list. Thanks in advance Zippy!

Model: SS

Trans: Danny built 65e

Gear: stock 4.10 front/rear

Tires: stock

List of current mods: LTs, hi flow cats, single 3.5" exhaust with magnaflow 22'', cai, 160* tstat, Wheatley tune, taylor wires

Possible future mods: e-fans

Goals for truck: decent street manners, would like to keep it above 10 mgp in town :P probably will only see the track a few times in its life. Really want something that sounds and drives mean.

Uses of the truck: daily driver, some very light towing (not much if ever but would like to be able to if needed)

I had to think about this one a bit. What I gather here is that you want the race truck type sound with very good drivability and more power than stock. The converter was really a good mod for you with or without a camshaft for sure. I'd recomend the XR275HR part number 54-426-11. There are certainly more agressive cams out there, but this will do what you need it too. With the 3000 stall you'll have pull from the dig to a 6200-6400 range shift point and about stock like drivability to go with it. With good tuning you can get the idle down low enough that this thing due to it's 112LSA and large overlap will make for a very race truck type sound through your LT's and Magnaflow. The other nice thing with this cam is that the lift is down a bit from some of the newer cams making it more valve spring friendly. I'd recomend a set of LS6 springs or Comp 918's. Either have been proven to work fine with this cam.

Hoping to catch up on the list this weekend guys. It's been a while.

I had to think about this one a bit. What I gather here is that you want the race truck type sound with very good drivability and more power than stock. The converter was really a good mod for you with or without a camshaft for sure. I'd recomend the XR275HR part number 54-426-11. There are certainly more agressive cams out there, but this will do what you need it too. With the 3000 stall you'll have pull from the dig to a 6200-6400 range shift point and about stock like drivability to go with it. With good tuning you can get the idle down low enough that this thing due to it's 112LSA and large overlap will make for a very race truck type sound through your LT's and Magnaflow. The other nice thing with this cam is that the lift is down a bit from some of the newer cams making it more valve spring friendly. I'd recomend a set of LS6 springs or Comp 918's. Either have been proven to work fine with this cam.

Hoping to catch up on the list this weekend guys. It's been a while.

Hey Zippy do you have a part number for the 918 springs. looked at comps website just not sure which ones.

Thanks

Hey zippy lets see what you think with this

Year 2003

silverado 5.3 4x4 Z71

trans: stock

Converter: stock looking to get a 3000 stall

Gear: stock think it is the 373

Tires: stock 275/55r20

List of current mods:JBA short tube headers, magnaflow cat back,k&N cold air intake

Possible future mods:efans, fast lsxrt 102 tbody and intake black bear tune,might go long tube headers.bigger mass air sensor,3000 stall

Goals for truck:great sounding fast truck that could be some what of a dd.

Uses of the truck:once in awhile i load it with some thing heavy most of the time just around town driving

i am thinking of going with the comp cam thumpr specs 227/241 .563/.546 109LSA

what do think of these cams. And in your mind what are the next best mods to do for this truck. I am open for ideas

Year 2006

Silverado 5.3L Z71

trans: stock

Converter: stock, maybe a 2600 or 3000

Gear: stock, 3.42

Tires: stock 275/65R20

List of current mods: Corsa Sport, Volant CAI with scoop

Possible future mods: MagnaCharger, 2600-3000 Stall, Servos, Dyna-tech LT headers

Goals for truck: Looking for that cam sound, with a power-band from idle all the way up

Uses of the truck: Daily Driver, I tow with it about 5 time a year and rarely haul something in the bed

I was wonder on the Thumper Cams myself, what do you think bro?

• 2 weeks later...

I got one for you Zippy.

2005 AWD SSS

ARH 1 3/4 lts

Dual 3" Y to single 4" straight through muffler dumped in front of the axle

AEM CAI

Circle D 278mm 3200 rpm stall

HD2 shift kit and vette servo

I'm about to install a ported Fast Truck 102 with a DBW 102 and a cam. I see a lot of the SSS guys run the 228R cam with the stock intakes so maybe something a little bigger? My cousin is sure a TQv2 is way too much for my truck and he might be right but I'd like to see what you think. I thought about the EPS 222/226 cam as it has put down some great numbers so far or maybe a custom EPS in the high 22x/ low 23x range.

I forgot to mention my goal is to run low 13.2xs in the 1/4 with a solid 100+mph trap speed. I will be installing heads down the road and a fully built transmission at the same time.

Edited by ss454327 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Need cam suggestion

Year of truck:2004

Model: SS AWD

Trans: stock

Converter: 2600 to 3000 stall

Gear: 4:56

Tires: Stock 20"

List of current mods: AEM intake, flowmaster 50 series muffler (dual in/single out), no cats, tune from PCMforLess. (Speed limiter raised, shift points adjusted, 93 octane, RPM), 05 Electric Fans, L92 intake, L92 style cylinder heads, LS6 springs, long tube header, tb coolant bypass, 160*stat, throttle body spacer.

Possible future mods: larger trans cooler, shift kit

Goals for truck: occasional daily driver, but very very rarely, weekend cruising mostly, rarely tow

Uses of the truck: Its my DD but I do like to race a little bit here and there. Looking for something nice.

Year of truck:2005

Model:silverado ss 2WD

Trans:stock/corvette servo

Converter:stock will change if needed

Gear:stock

Tires:STOCK 20'S

List of current mods:INTAKE,THROTTLE BODY SPACER,SHORTY HEADERS,UNDERDRIVE PULLEY,E-CUT OUTS

Possible future mods:BUILT TRANNY, STALL,TUNE

Goals for truck:BEAT LIGHTNINGS

Uses of the truck:D/D SOMETIMES TRACK BUT SOMETIMES DRIVEN LONG DISTANCE...........TEXAS PIPELINER

• 1 month later...

Year of truck: 2003

Model: silverado ss

Trans: auto awd

Converter: stock

Gear: stock

Tires: 20 inch stock

List of current mods: vortech procharger 8-10 pounds, top mount intercooler, shorty headers,high flow cats, magnaflow mufflers, tune

Possible future mods: port and polished heads, cam

Goals for truck: fast daily driver

Uses of the truck: daily.. hauling my dirtbike to the races

was looking at a bullet racing custom ground cam

they gave me this

230 intake/234 exghaust

112-114 characteristics

600 lift

$386.00 without springs.. they think my stock springs are fine

and will ls2 heads fit and are they better than my stock ones

Edited by Greg808 (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Model: Silverado SS

Trans: Stock 4L65E

Converter: Stock (want to go to at least a 2600 but no higher than 3000)

Gear: 3.73

Tires: 295-45-20

List of current mods: Intake, "cat-back", Wheatley Tune

Possible future mods: Whatever is necessary with cam, but headers, cam, maybe even some work on my heads one day.

Goals for truck: running mid to low 13s, maybe faster one day.

Uses of the truck: Daily driver, sometimes towing a trailer with car on it.

I was thinking the XER273HR 114LSA cam, but not sure if this one is too hardcore or not? Sounds like I don't need much of a stall from the description and is pretty good to run a turbo possibly one day...

• 3 weeks later...

Alright Zippy, sorry for being a repetitive PITA but i need another cam suggestion, im going to be doing some top end work and need something spot on for my setup, thanks in advance sir!

Model: SSS

Trans: Fully built 65e

Gear: stock 4.10's

Tires: 305/50/20 nitto 420s

List of current mods(mods that will be on same time as cam): Volant CAI, LPP LTs, no cats, single 3.5" exhaust w/ Magnaflow 22" si/so, Wheatley tune, Danny/Jerry built 65e, TCS 3000, 05+ e-fans, Billet catch can (blue), Taylor 409 wires, SLP 160* stat, Walbro 255 hp fuel pump, 44# multec II injectors, LY6 truck intake w/ 90mm throttle body, CNC'd L92 heads (pushrods & springs are TBD depending on cam)

Possible future mods: nitrous outlet 90mm plate wet system, probably about 100-150 shot max

Goals for truck: still my DD, need something somewhat street friendly but still able to kick some ass at the track when i make it out...would really like to see high 12's with this setup!

Uses of the truck: DD, light towing, some track time every once in a blue moon

Feel free to pm or text/call for any in depth details (Nine 0 Three-918-9380). Im sure this one is going to take some thinking and possibly a few different cam choices considering im going from cathedral heads to rectangle and changing up so much stuff. Thanks in advance Zippy!

• 1 month later...

Due to an over popular cam spec requesting this is a new cam help guide and posting. If you want to review the cams here, feel free and ask all you'd like in this post. Want a cam recomdation or have a question on a specific cam, just post it in here. Info for cams needed is...

Year of truck:206

Model:ss

Trans:stock

Converter:stock

Gear:stock

Tires:265/40r22

List of current mods:stock

Possible future mods:anything need, exhaust, intake headers, injectors, shift kit, converter

Goals for truck:a choopy idle nothing extreme, decent power gains

Uses of the truck:daily driver, cruiser, some good burnouts.

anything needed can u pls recommend sites of where to get them

Cam list:

Comp Cams:

XR259HR...206/212 .515/.522 112LSA. Great cam for a stock truck looking to make big low rpm torque and use a stock torque converter. Better suited to a 4.8L or very mild 5.3L. Recomended torque converter would be no more than a 3000 for a 4.8L or 5.3L and stock or 2600 for a 6.0L. Recomended valve springs would be LS6 GM springs.

XR265HR...212/218 .522/.529 114LSA. Great cam for a stock truck using stock truck exhaust manifolds and either a stock converter or low rpm stall. In a 4.8L or 5.3L I'd recomend a 2600 to 3000 stall. In a 6.0L I'd recomend a stock or 2600 stall, but the 2600 would be better suited to the job. Recomended valve springs would be GM LS6 springs.

XR269HR...216/220 .525/.532 114LSA Decent cam for a bolt on type truck running shorty headers or long tubes. Stock manifolds could be used, but headers would be a bigger gain at this point. For a 4.8L this is a fairly agressive cam and I'd recomend at least a 2800 to 3200 stall. For a 5.3L and 6.0L a 2600 to 3000 stall would do the job nicely. This cam isn't really recomended for gains with it's low lift and bigger duration. Other than great valve spring life there isn't much reason to run it. Recomended valve springs would be LS6 springs.

XR273HR...220/224 .530/.534 112LSA Decent cam for an LQ9 for someone worried about valve spring life. With this much duration and this low of lift I just wouldn't recomend it as a choice for any application.

XR277HR...224/228 .534/.537 112LSA Agressive cam for duration and LSA. Not enough lift to make it worth recomending at this duration.

XR265HR...212/218 .558/.563 115LSA Very nice cam for a truck with mild exhaust upgrades. Not a recomended cam for a 4.8L or 5.3L as this much split with the small intake valves isn't the way to go. For a 6.0L this cam makes for a nice and mild dail driver with very little lope at idle. Stock converter can be used, but a 2600 stall is recomended. This cam can also be used with a blower or nitrous with decent results. Recomended valve springs would be LS6 spring or Comp 918.

XR275HR...222/224 .566/.568 112LSA Very strong cam for a naturally asperated setup. In a 4.8L you'll need a 3000 to 3400 stall. In a 5.3L you'll need a 2600 minimum and best results at 3000 stall. With a 6.0L I'd recomend a 2600 to 3000 stall depending on how agressive you want the launch. This is a very good cam for torque in the middle rpm range. Recomended to use shorty headers or long tubes. You may also need an injector upgrade at this point. With good tuning the idle will be a bit choppy, but yet still very streetable and will make for a nice daily driver with some bite. Not recomended for nitrous or Supercharger. Recomended springs are LS6 springs or 918's.

XR281HR...228/230 .571/.573 112LSA Very strong cam for a naturally asperated setup. Not recomended for a 4.8L or 5.3L. An L33 5.3L H.O. could run this cam with it's increased compression, but would require a 3200 to 3600 stall to be happy with it's results. In a 6.0L I would only recomend this for an LQ9 with it's increased compression and it could be ran with less stall due to it's cubes and compression. In an LQ9 I'd recomend long tube headers, LS6 or Fast style intake, and larger injectors. I'd recomend a 2800 to 3400 stall behind an LQ9 with this cam. Idle even tuned in perfectly will be choppy and will make for a decent daily driver as long as you aren't in heavy traffic. Not recomended for supercharger or nitrous. Recomended springs would be 918's.

XER273HR...224/230 .581/.591 114LSA Very similar power band to the XR281HR, except with a better idle and better drivability. I would not recomend this for anything smaller than a 6.0L either. Recomended to run a shorty or long tube header. Larger injectors will be needed. I'd recomend a 2600 to 3000 stall for this cam. If it is well tuned in the idle is lopey, but not unacceptable for a daily driver. This cam will also work ok with L92 style cylinder heads. It happens to be one of the cams that Livernois has chosen for it's L92 package. Will work nicely with nitrous or a blower. MP122 or bigger for Magnacharger or D1SC for Procharger. Recomended springs would be 918's or 921's.

XER281HR...232/234 .595/.598 112LSA Pretty much a cam built for no smaller than a 6.0L. If you want to run a cam like this you'll want more than the stock compression of an LQ9. I'd say no less than 10.5:1 compression. You'll also want a car intake for this rpm range. With a 6.0L you'll want a 3200 stall or higher. This cam is better suited to bigger inch such as 6.7L and bigger. Not recomended for boost or juice. Recomended springs would be 921's or Partriot Dual Gold's.

XER287HR...238/240 .605/.609 112LSA If you want to run this with a 6.0L, shoot for 11:1 compression or higher, a stall of 3600 or higher, 1 7/8 headers, and a Fast intake. This would make for a nice agressive cam in a 6.7L or bigger that can still be daily driven. More cubes of course wouldn't require as much stall. Recomended springs would be Patriot Dual Golds.

Texas Speed:

Thunder Racing:

Trick Flow:

TFS-30602001...216/220 .560/.560 114LSA

TFS-30602002...220/224 .575/.575 112LSA

TFS-30602003...228/230 .585/.585 112LSA

Still updating...