Cam Choice Guide And Question Post

zippy

Year of truck:06

Model:sss

Trans:oem

Converter:oem

Gear:oem

Tires:305 40 22

List of current mods:80mm tb, 42lb injectors, headers, paxton s/c, 8ps dyno tuned 10rib pulley setup

Possible future mods:CAM, ring and pinnion, future hope not to far some good heads. possibly future piston set up to add psi on s/c.

Goals for truck: eat srt10's

Uses of the truck:daily

With a stock torque converter you'll want a cam to bring the power in as early as possible. I'd recomend a GT2-3 or LS6 camshaft. The GT2-3 cam was designed around the Magnacharger MP112, but works very well with most blower applications with a similar idea in mind. That cam is designed to no bleed off boost and make all the power at a lower rpm. The MP112 blower in higher rpm applications would create more heat and therefore the GT2-3 cam works well in not bleading off boost and making plenty of power below 6200rpm. A Paxton with a stock torque converter will need help in the bottom and should peak hp a bit higher than the MP112 would, but still not need to be ran past 6200rpm. A 42lb injector however will not be enough.

hey there zippy how about this . . .

Year of truck:2006

Model:Silverado vortec MAX 4wd

Trans:stock

Converter:stock

Gear:4:10 14 bolt

Tires:35's but i run 245's at the track

List of current mods: K&N air intake, pacesetter longtubes, full 3" dual exhaust, and a custom tune using EFI live (stock injectors nearly maxed out)

mods to come: billet servo, shift kit, possible 4:88 gears, larger injectors, 3000-3200 stall. in this order

Goals for my truck: A good size 4wd that will run as fast as possible. thou it is my dd i am willing to give up some drivability for performance currently runs a 14.5 with small tires looking to run in the low 13's

I would say go for the Comp Cams LSr Lobe 277LrHR13. If you get the 4.88 gear and 3200 stall this cam will be impressive all the way through the rpm band. The spec's are 227/235 .614/.621 on a 113+4 LSA. Make sure you go with a good spring. A Comp 918 will cut it, but I'd recomend a Patriot Gold dual spring setup.

Zippy,

I have been following your posts and have found them to be extremely informative. Along with many of the threads that are on this forum. I have been researching the idea of putting a cam in my truck for quite some time. Ok, better than two years but until I found this forum I thought I was dreaming a pipe dream. Its not the lack of motivation, it is that the problem that I face is I live out here in California. Yes, we have great weather and beautiful girls along with liberals and CARB "California Air Resource Board" the last two I can do without, oh-well the price we have to pay to live out here. We have that stupid smog sniffer up the tailpipe and I have heard of some horrific stories of cars failing. There is not a whole lot of knowledge or experience with respect to adding a cam to a daily driver and getting it to pass the smog sniffer out here :banghead: . Some say "oh ya you can put this in it" and then I would say "great, do you know how it passed smog." Their reply :dunno: . I have been looking into the GMPP Hot Cam kit. I am not looking to over cam the engine nor make it into an et bracket monster. I would like it to have a different sound and a choppy idle. I am not really looking into changing the intake or heads because I think I would get a better bang for my buck if I were to go with a super charger. The budget has to be realistic that why I am shying away from the FI. I live in the San Fransisco Bay Area and we just don't have a lot of long open roads to make use of a top end engine but some rolling hills where a low to mid range engine would really shine. I have found PCMforless and have exchanged some emails with them. I do really like the two cam's that they have ie Rob and Attitude style. Those two have a real nice lope to them. Which leads me into the second part tuning.

I have been looking into both EFILive and HP Tuners to get everything dialed in. Of course I do not have a dyno at my disposal in my garage "that would be cool" but I am starting to think it might be wise to send off my PCM to ether Wheatly, PCMforless or Black Bear just for the ease of getting things "right." In the quest to make things work together what stall convert and speed do you recommend?

Year of truck:03

Model:sss

Trans:oem "for now"

Converter:oem

Gear:4.10

Tires:305 40 22

List of current mods:Corvette C6 Z06 calipers and drilled rotors on all for corners. ordered up a trans servo and shift improvement kit. Looking forward to putting it in next month.

Possible future mods:CAM, Stall Converter, CAI, Headers ST or LT, PCM Tune, and E-fans.

Goals for truck: attitude at the stop light and what the heck kick some a$ when I smash the floor mat.

Uses of the truck:daily driver

Thanks again for looking this over!

I can understand what you want, but it's not as easy as it sounds. The thing that makes a camshaft give that choppy sound is what will cause it to fail smog. I certainly would be very carefull on that thought if you don't have someone that can get you to pass so to speak. You're going to want a cam with a wide powerband and a tight enough profile to pass the sniffer. I have many in mind, but dollar for dollar I'd recomend finding a stock LS6 2002-2004 camshaft. Run the idle down around 600 or so and you might here a little lope to it if you have a louder exhaust. That cam alone will pick you up a very noticable gain all around. I understand you're also against intake and head change, but you may want to consider it. Find a mildly ported 243 head and a TBSS or 07' up 5.3L intake and you'll be making more power without having any emissions issue's. The ported 243 will make about 20RWHP or so more than the stock 317's with good tuning and come inspection time they are stock heads as far as they are concerned. The newer intake combined with a 90mm throttle body should be worth 10RWHP give or take a few and you can still use the stock engine cover from that engine also making the engine still look completely stock to the un-trained eye. Do the best emissions legal header you can, some heads, intake, LS6 camshaft, e-fans, and tuning and you'll be impressed at how much stronger you are than a stock truck while still passing the smog guy like someone with a stock truck. Other than the headers none of it should be very expensive either. No where near the blower price range. As for the converter this is another place to gain alot without the smog guy knowing better. I'd say go with a Vigilante 9.5" 3000 if you have the budget or at least a Yank 3000.

You are asking for quite a bit out of the cam. A lopey idle and emissions legal is hard to get. I'll dig through my catalogue's at work today.

wondering if u found something to fit my original idea? but if not thats the way CA. works.

what would be my best fit to get good sound/power and still pass the damn sniffer

wondering if u found something to fit my original idea? but if not thats the way CA. works.

what would be my best fit to get good sound/power and still pass the damn sniffer

You're going to want a cam with a wide powerband and a tight enough profile to pass the sniffer. I have many in mind, but dollar for dollar I'd recomend finding a stock LS6 2002-2004 camshaft. Run the idle down around 600 or so and you might here a little lope to it if you have a louder exhaust.

Year of truck: 2003 RCSB

Model: Silverado

Trans: "Built" 4l60e (vette servos, shift kit...)

Converter: Vig 2800 (stalled ~2800rpm in a 99 ss, figure closer to 3k in my truck)

Gear: 3.42

Tires: 275/60/R16 (Came on the truck)

List of current mods: LQ9 swap, Pacesetter 1-3/4", ORY

Possible future mods: P&P 243s, TBSS intake/tb

Goals for truck: 400+ rwhp

Uses of the truck: 2nd vehicle, capable of being a DD

I normally just look in the classifieds on this site. Im bored at work, started looking around here, and found this sticky.

First, this is a great sticky/writeup. Second, thanks for looking. I only wanted to swap a 6.0 in place of the 4.8. Then decided, while its out might as well do full exhaust. Then thought, hmm, might as well stick a cam in also. Im trying to draw the line there...pssh yeah right.

At first, I was going to go with a TR224. Then did some more research, started leaning towards an MS-3. I will be swapping valve springs to patriot dual golds. I would rather stick with stock injectors, but y'all probably know how that is.

Thanks for any help...

Year of truck: 2001

Model: Tahoe lt

Trans: auto

Converter: yank 3000

Gear: 4.10's

Tires: 32.1''

List of current mods: LQ9 6.0,radix 112 3.0 pulley ,thorley lt's mandrel 2 1/2'' pipe all the way high flow cats and 2 magnaflows, 160 deg t stat,HP tuners 2 bar sd tune ,mild port and polish on 317's, No MAF 4'' intake tube to 4'' filter inside volant cai box,90mm TB,taylor 409 wires and meth injection

Possible future mods: 2.8 pulley

Goals for truck:i would like to see 600 hp

Uses of the truck: daily driver and i also use it to tow a 35' trailer about once every couple of months

I plan on purchasing a cam as soon as possible so any help you could give would be appreciated thanks!

Year of truck: 03

Model: silverado ss

Trans:4l65e

Gear:stock

Tires:295/45/20

List of current mods: LTs, exhaust, K&N intake, 160 stat, shift kit w 2nd servo, tune

Possible future mods: torque converter to go along with cam, more tranny work, & whatever else needed to get to low 13s

Goals for truck: low 13s possibly 12.8- 12.9 on a perfect day

Uses of the truck: DD. Live in CA. Don"t care about cam sound (would actually prefer not to have it) just want power and want it to be streetable since it is the DD

Edited by sss25 (see edit history)

With a stock torque converter you'll want a cam to bring the power in as early as possible. I'd recomend a GT2-3 or LS6 camshaft. The GT2-3 cam was designed around the Magnacharger MP112, but works very well with most blower applications with a similar idea in mind. That cam is designed to no bleed off boost and make all the power at a lower rpm. The MP112 blower in higher rpm applications would create more heat and therefore the GT2-3 cam works well in not bleading off boost and making plenty of power below 6200rpm. A Paxton with a stock torque converter will need help in the bottom and should peak hp a bit higher than the MP112 would, but still not need to be ran past 6200rpm. A 42lb injector however will not be enough.

ok so if i add the gt2-3 or the ls6 camshaft what stall would you recomend and would it be nesesary to change the diferential gears ??

• 4 weeks later...

Year of truck: 2003

Model: Silverado SS

Trans: Zippy kit

Converter: Stock

Gear: 4.10

Tires: 275/55/20

List of current mods: Volant CAI W/ram air tube, Dual flowmasters, Jet hot coated dynatech LTs w/high flow cats, Magnacharger MP112

Possible future mods: E-fans, 3.0 or 2.9 pulley for the MP112

Goals for truck: To lower 1/4 mile times and still be suitable for the street

Uses of the truck: Not my daily driver but it is driven regularly, and I do pull a trailer every so often.

Thanks for any suggestions

Year: 2004

Model: silverado 1500(no SS)

Trans: stock

Converter: stock

Gears: stock

Tires: 275/55/20

Current mods: rims tune long tubes no cats Taylor plug wires

Future: shift kit servos, posi rear, harder tranny parts and a blower (and anything else u think i need)

Goals: more power better sound

Uses of truck: DD i drive a lot and have occasional light loads

• 3 weeks later...
Year of truck:2003

Model:sss awd

Trans:stock

Gear:stock

Tires:stock

List of current mods:powerdyne centrifugal supercharger

Possible future mods:cam headers tune

Goals for truck: low 12's

Uses of the truck: sold my sti for it lol

i wanna cam that will go good with my truck and stay on the stock trans

• 1 month later...

Year of truck: 2004

Model: Silverado 1500 4.8L

Trans: Automatic OEM

Converter: OEM

Gear: OEM

Tires:275/55/20

List of current mods: Shorty headers, no cats, true duals with Magnaflos, lowered, wheels

Possible future mods: cam, stall, cold air intake, tune

Goals for truck: aggressive sound at idle, more power

Uses of the truck: mostly DD, hopefully soon will just be my weekend truck, not concerned with a "smog friendly" cam

Edited by JFoVStar650 (see edit history)