408 WITH 8.6 CR

HEADS PORTED AND POLISHED VALVES INTAKE 2.04/EXHAUST 1.6

SHORTY HEADERS

112 MAGNA CHARGER WILL UP GRADE TO 122MP SOON

1.8 CRANE ROLLER ROCKERS

TRANY IS FULLY BUILT

STALL CONVER 2500 OR TRAILBLAZER CONVERTER

CURRENT CAM IS FROM CRANE CAMS 210/218-.533/.533-112

WHAT WOULD YOU RECOMEND IN THE CAM DEPARTMENT STAY WITH WHAT I HAVE OR GO BIGGER?

STOCK RIMS

ALSO PLAN TO RUN ABOUT A 100 SHOT OF NOS

STILL IN THE BUILDING PROCESS GIVE ME A SHOUT

/

If you are still in the building process you may want to re-think your choice of compression. That MP122HH isn't going to be able to put out enough boost efficiently for a compression ratio any where near that low. For a cam I'd recomend the 99-TR-BLOWR-CAM. In a 408 this will have very little chop to the idle, but enough to know that it isn't stock. With this cam you should be fine with a shift point of around 6200rpm. The specs are:

214/230 .601/.579 117 LSA

Help me out Zippy!

Year of truck: 2003

Model: SS

Trans: 4L65E, shift kit, servos

Converter: 3200

Gear: Stock

Tires: 305/40 22 for now

List of current mods: P&P Throttle body, long tubes, no cats, speed density tuned, e fan, plug wires, three inch exhaust dual Magnaflow racing muffs dumped under the cab.

Possible future mods: Cam, heads, pistons, TB, car intake, electric water pump

Goals for truck: Consistent low 13's, consistency for bracket racing.

Uses of the truck: Bracket racing only, towed to the track. No street use.

My recomdendation for you would be the Comp Cams XR281HR with a set of Patriot Dual Golds. Another option I might recomend for you would be the Texas Speed TSP 228R on a 112 LSA also with the Patriot Dual Golds. Either cam is going to keep your torque low enough that you won't fight getting it to 60' hard every time like it currently does. Both cams should 60' well and pull all the way through the big end. With what you use your truck for either would be an excellent choice. Spec's are

XR281HR...228/230 .571/.573 on a 112LSA

TSP 228R is a 228/228 .588/.588 on a 112LSA

Year of truck:2003

Model:Sierra Denali

Trans:4L65E

Converter:Stock

Gear:4.10

Tires:265/75/17

List of current mods:CAI,160*T-stat,BBk 80mmtb,msd 8.5 wires,E3 plugs,flowmasters

Possible future mods:LT headers, tb or other stall, milled p&p 317 heads, roller rockers, ud pullies,

Goals for truck: good street manners but would like to be able to run in th 12's or 13's, lopey idle and hold its own with most cars.

Uses: DD never towed anything, heavyiest thing i haul is a four wheeler

Your truck makes for a bit more of a challenge with the current mods and future goals. I'd recomend the Trick Flow cam TFS-30602002. This cam will work with a stock converter. It will not get you any quicker in the 60' time, but it will pull much better after that point. You will find a lope to the idle as well as great daily drivability. I'd recomend at least a 2600 stall to go with it if you decide to buy a converter down the road. Specs are:

TFS-30602002...220/224 .575/.575 112LSA

Year of truck: 2005

Model: SSS AWD

Trans: Stock with transgo hd2 kit, vette servo and 4th apply piston

Converter: Stock ( will upgrade if needed )

Gear: 4:10

Tires: stock 20's

List of current mods: Volant CAI, 160f tstat , Pacesetter Lt, duel 3" exhaust with flowmaster super 44s no cats, blackbear tune

Possible future mods: TQ Converter, larger trans cooler, possibly a SC in the far distant future...

Goals for truck: Looking for good street power and good pull all the way somewhat lopy idle

Uses of the truck: Summer DD

Thanks for your time :cheers:

Year of truck:2004

Model:VHO

Trans:4l65E

Converter:stock( will be putting in a 2800 with the cam)

Gear:3.73

Tires:265/35/22

List of current mods:lt's no cats, aero turbine muffler, u/d pulleys, zippy tune, 160* stat,plug wires, e-fans, cai

Possible future mods: shift kit, 30,000 trans cooler and the 2800 verter

Goals for truck: low 13's

Uses of the truck: weekend and sometimes daily driver.

• 2 weeks later...
My recomdendation for you would be the Comp Cams XR281HR with a set of Patriot Dual Golds. Another option I might recomend for you would be the Texas Speed TSP 228R on a 112 LSA also with the Patriot Dual Golds. Either cam is going to keep your torque low enough that you won't fight getting it to 60' hard every time like it currently does. Both cams should 60' well and pull all the way through the big end. With what you use your truck for either would be an excellent choice. Spec's are

XR281HR...228/230 .571/.573 on a 112LSA

TSP 228R is a 228/228 .588/.588 on a 112LSA

Thanks Zippy! How would this cam work out for me? mti r1 cam 232/236 .575/.578 lift, 14 LSA

Year of truck: 2005

Model: SS AWD

Trans: 4L65E

Converter: stock

Gear: 4:10 stock

Tires: stock

List of current mods: intercooled Radix 112 stock pulley, Volant CAI, 160 t-stat, tb coolant bypass, Magnaflow cat-back, Wheatley tune

Possible future mods: Dynatech long tubes with cats, 2.75 pulley, MSD 8.5, 90mm tb, FLT level 5, WCCH Stage 2 6.0 or Stage 2 L92 heads, intercooler mod similar to the killer chiller, roller rockers, electric water pump, 100mm MAF, 24" rims 305/35/24 tires, possible small shot of N2o just for fun, in an ideal world tvs 1900 or 2300

Goals for truck: go as fast as I possibly can but still streetable

Uses of the truck: occasional daily driver, but very very rarely, weekend cruising mostly, rarely tow

Just want to say thanks for helping everyone and sharing your knowledge zippy. We appreciate it.

Edited by dkkustoms (see edit history)

I'm about 20 pm's behind guys so bear with me. I'll try to be on this again this weekend. JJ, that is more duration than I'd run with your truck being more set on being consistant than fast. I'd also recomend the LSA be 112. That is just my opinion though.

Year of truck: 2003

Model: SSS

Trans: Stock

Converter: 3200-3400 n/a then it should stall 3500-3700 with the turbo.

Gear: stock 4.10s

Tires: 285 50 20

List of current mods: longtubes, full exhaust, CAI

Possible future mods: built tranny by danny, front mount turbo

Goals for truck: see what i can get out of it then go built motor with boost (then of course get a diff cam)

Uses of the truck: dd/strip (no towing)

also can i get it with a little bit choppy i know i cant get like a 112 lsa but just wanted it more aggressive than stock

Edited by 03_SS_22 (see edit history)

Year of truck: 2002

Model: 1500HD LQ4 6.0L

Trans: 4L80e

Converter: Stock (and I plan to keep it that way)

Gear: 4.10

Tires: 285/70 r17

List of current mods: Bassini Mid-Length Headers, Hooker AeroChamber Muffler

Possible future mods: 243 LS6 Heads to bump up the compression (should bring the compression to stock LQ9) this would be done at the same time as the cam swap

Goals for truck: Make my daily driver more fun to drive. I am really looking for idle to 6k power. Particularly more gain from idle to ~4500. I do not plan on revving it over 6k.

Uses of the truck: Mostly Daily Driver. Minor towing. Need whatever I do needs to last me another 100k+ miles.

I have considered the Comp XR265HR...212/218 .522/.529 114LSA 112ICL, however some comments I have read seem to suggest it is just a touch too big for a stock converter. Reference this thread. So, my next thought was to go smaller, Comp XR259HR...206/212 .515/.522 112LSA 110ICL. While this cam is bigger than the stock one, I wonder if it would be too small to warrant the upgrade. Whatever cam I choose, I would like to use the Yellow LS6 springs for drivetrain longevity. Should I be looking for a more aggressive ramp rate? Perhaps something like the TR Old Man Truck Cam 214/220 .600/.523 115LSA +2??

Thank you for your help Zippy,

Conrad

My recomendation would be the Trick Flow TFS-30602001 cam. It's spec's are 216/220 .560/.560 on a 114LSA. The duration is mild enough to have a slight lope and yet will work with a stock torque converter. I would recomend a 2600 converter, but in a 2wd that might just make for a tire burner. That cam will also work well with a blower and a few guys on here are using that cam with a blower right now. Peak hp should be around 5600 to 5800 with a shift point of around 6200rpm. This cam is also good for a daily driver in that it isn't huge on lift which will help with valve guide, seat, and spring life. I would recomend using an LS6 spring with this cam.

are those new comp thumper cams any good i luv the way they sound but im wondering if there any good performance wise

• 2 weeks later...

Year of truck:2003

Model:SSS

Trans:4l65E

Converter:stock for now (Putting in a Pi 2800 triple disk and bulid up the trans). I need a zippy kit!

Gear:not sure

Tires:stock

List of current mods:K&N CAI, dual in/out flowmaster

Possible future mods:built trans, tune, LTs, efans,

Goals for truck: 13's?

Uses of the truck:Its my DD but I do like to race a little bit here and there. Looking for something nice.

Thanks in advance.