Torsion! How Low?

So I've been wanting to lower my front after I installed the shackles out back. So iam short on cash rite now, and been thinking. Quick ?'S, if I turn the torsion keys, how low can I go? Iam looking for a 2inch drop up front to level up with my 2inch drop out back? Is This safe? What are the reprocutions? Any help or advice is welcome! Thanks! Oh and this is for a 06' silvy non sss. Thanks

all gm 1500s have torsion bars. i would say go for it. measure from the top of the wheel well to the ground. make sure you bounce the truck before you measure. and remember no torsion bar is the same. just cause you might have to loosen the drivers side 5 full turns dont mean the passenger side will be the same.

You're both right and both wrong - Sprayed99's Joe Gibbs EC truck had coil springs in front, and we know the SSS and VHO trucks came instead with the 4x4 frame in front (torsion bars). The rule of thumb is that you can drop the front around 1" with the torsion keys; that being said, I've seen a couple guys unscrew the preload bolts to achieve a 2" drop in front, and they admit the truck was a bit 'floaty' on the road but said they achieved a 2/2 drop for $50 and the truck still aligned. I would not go more than an inch; when you unscrew the torsion bar preload bolts, you are subtracting 1" of travel from the bottom of the suspension travel and simultaneously adding 1" to the upward (rebound) travel; the truck is designed to have ONLY 7-8 inches of TOTAL travel, so takng it down a couple inches means you loose more than 1/2 of available upward travel and anything in the road larger than a twig at speed will equal hard suspension bind, if that happens while you are deep in a turn on a wet road it's GAME OVER you will go skidding/sailing straight ahead off the outer edge of the road. Also remember that you will be riding on the front bumpstops, they will have to be trimmed (redneck) and/or drilled (preferred).

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

Well thanks for all of you guys input! And after reading and thinking, iam rethinking this and going to wait and go with spindles instead. Just don't want my silvy to ride rough. It is cheaper to do this, but I don't want to **** anything up! And later regret it. So thanks dudes!

I'm at 1.5" of drop on the stock keys and belltech bumpstops, my ride is good, but it's about as far as I would go, maybe 2" max. But I've seen a member with an awd SS that had about 4" of dop with the drop keys ahhhhh, but he said he's been running it that way for years.

I have drop keys and well im riding on my front bumpstops and it is hell now, at first i couldnt tell the diffrence but now its getting old. This weekend helperbags are getting installed aswell i will be raising the front end up abit and drilling the front bumpstops for alittle ride comfort.

I turned both 5 full turns and both sides equaled out the same. Turned out to about an inch. With the rear shackles, I really got the look I was after. Like everyone else has been saying, I wouldnt go any further than an inch, but again thats my opinion also.