Ipod Interface Or New Head-unit

Ipod Interface or New Head-Unit  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do to my stereo system, to accomidate my new Ipod Nano?

• Ipod Interface (Update Stock Bose stereo with an Ipod module)
    • New Head-Unit - One that has an AUX plug in.

Hey All ...

I finally made it into the twenty-first century with an Ipod Nano 8gb. ... Black, to match my MistreSS.

So, I need a little help from you SSS.com radio experts ... I have a PM into Chris (Fast4popper) about an IPOD interface for my factory stock Bose 6Disc Changer, with XM (No Onstar). But from what I've seen/read about the older kits (nothing about newer ones) is that you loose or have conflict with your XM radio. I personally like my XM, and don't want to interfere with it.

So as the Poll states, should I get a interface for short change or should I take the plunge and get a new head unit? If I am to get a new headunit, I don't want something that I will have to spend Mega $$$ to upgrade every-other aspect of the stereo system (Speakers/Amp/Wires ... etc) ... Basically something that is "Almost" plug an play ... I just do not have the extra $$$ right now to do a hopped up system ...

But, If I was to get a new head unit. I am thinking of a Double Din, touchscreen with an Ipod AUX out front of course. I have no desire to install navigation. So, could you please recommend some Units, if that is the choice you chose.

Thanks in advance ...

Shuan

Edited by Stitches040 (see edit history)

Dont forget if you get a new head unit ... you will also need all the adapters for XM, Wire harness, Chimes, etc ... prolly 100-150 more dollars for adapters and harnesses and mounting kits.

I voted new head unit. I'm in the same boat - I don't want to lose my XM with the adapter. I've read that you can install a toggle switch to go back and forth between the iPod adapter and XM, but I just don't like the idea of it.

As far as headunits are concerned, I've been eyeing the Pioneer AVIC-D3. It's been replaced by the newer model AVIC, but I still think it's a good unit - not to mention the price is pretty good too. But, like Big O said, you'll need to dish out some money for the integration adapters. I'm also not too sure how involved an install is for the unit.

I say new HU, I had crappy luck with the adapter for some reason, plus with all the music you can put on the ipod, xm is not needed. I had a Alpine CDA 9886 which was a good basic unit and had great ipod control, I am now running the Avic D3 and will not look back. Its all about pref and what you are willing to spend to keep xm and stuff I guess.

http://www.denalitrucks.com/forum/viewtopi...&highlight=

This is what I put in, and I am EXTREMELY happy. It sounds awsome, it integrated with my truck 100%, and now my phone is handsfree. I can even stream the music from my phone over the bluetooth connection. I do this when the wife steals the Ipod. I maybe have 450 wrapped up in the whole thing. I am suprised at how well the Bose speakers work when not hampered by the OEM equalization.

• 2 weeks later...

I just installed a Peripheral I Simple PXAMG w/ PGHGM5 Harness in my 04 Escalade. Its not perfect, but I don't think that can be expected with integration into the factory HU.

It works with and charges my iPhone 3G, it shows song titles and artists on the nav screen, and I can use the steering wheel controls to control the iPhone, I can also receive calls when the iPhone is connected and playing music. I also have access to playlists, artist lists, etc..., however I haven't played with those features yet.

Overall it depends on how much you want to spend and how much work you want to put into it. An aftermarket HU is definitely nice, but also costs a lot more, and is more work to install. As "big o" stated you will spend a lot on adapter harnesses, and modules to get an aftermarket HU to function like the factory unit.

I voted for a new HU. I installed an AVH-P4000DVD scored for $225 shipped NIB off ebay and a used Metra GM-03 interface (I think that is the model, can't remember) for $16. Now my kids watch DVD's on long trips and The ipod interface is awesome. Throw the ipod in the glovebox and view / control all functions by touch screen on the HU. Not to mention any other add on periferals like usb jump drives/mp3 players, backup camera, or game systems for the kiddos. It was a no brainer for me.

Edited by BigCountry (see edit history)

I don't have a big problem with XM and the ipod interface.

I might have to cycle through the button one time but it's all good for me.

I personally don't get a decent sound from the XM as say CD or Ipod. I'm happy with the adaptor for my use with the stock system.

I'd like to use an iPod adaptor, probably the GMC2 but I have a question. I have an 03 with Bose but no XM and a 6 disc changer. XM isn't even an option when I hit the band button or the CD/Aux button either, will these adapters work for me?

• 3 months later...

response for sr1032 question below:

I'd like to use an iPod adaptor, probably the GMC2 but I have a question. I have an 03 with Bose but no XM and a 6 disc changer. XM isn't even an option when I hit the band button or the CD/Aux button either, will these adapters work for me?

Just put one in my truck, same set up as yours. Works but not completely correct, not yet sure why. When you scroll thru the "bands" it shows up as AUX1 and AUX2 (no XM). I dont have anything dislpayed on the radio screen and steering controls dont work right. There is a slip added into the instructions that says some of the radios were not programed for XM - dealer can do it for you by changing a software setting (need a tech 2 plug in device to shange it). It may also be because I'm using a 1st gen iPod. I havent talked to PAC yet on the issue but will be calling them in a day or so.