Tru Cool Max Install

keebler85

Well this is my first how to so bare with me. This is a how to saying only how I did it, so if you decide to do it the same way do at your own risk.

The required tools are:

10mm socket

19mm wrench

Rubber tube cutter

Thread tape

Two Wrenches

Rags

1/2 quart of transmission fluid

Misc tools along the way

Total time for me: 2 hours with breaks

I first started by taking the headlights out, then the grill. The grill is held by clips that you just pull.

The next thing that I did was take the factory tranny cooler out, but leaving the hoses hooked. This is connected by the bottom red arrows, they are the plastic things. The top two are 2 10mm bolts.

Picture147.jpgPicture151.jpgPicture150.jpg

The hose that connects to the factory cooler takes a 19mm wrench. I have vicegrips hold the top piece that way you could get a good turn. They just screw out.

Picture152.jpg

After the cooler is out I cut these rubber hoses. The top picture is the hose that you can get to from the engine bay. Just takes a little looking. Cut it as close to the bottom fitting as you can.

Picture153.jpg

Next crawl under the truck and find the next hose. This hose is above the skid plate. Cut next to the fitting facing the front of the truck. It takes some moving but you can do it.

Picture154.jpg

After these are cut you will lose fluid. I just plugged them.

Next I took out the brace as shown. It takes a 10mm socket.

Picture158.jpg

Picture160.jpg

Next I mounted the cooler. What I did, something you may choose to do or not to do, was I used the sheet screws that came with it and screwed it to the braces. To get it even took a little while. Also I had to drill the inner two holes out to fit the sheet screws. Once they are in the middle of the brace I screwed it in. And then used the factory holes at the bottom and the aftermarket braces.

Picture162.jpg

Picture163.jpg

Next I measured the hose and cut them and then connected them. The amount of hose they give you is enough, but be careful because it is going to be close of you cut one side wrong.

Picture164.jpg

And then I am done. I drove around a little then added 1/2 quart of fluid.

Picture166.jpg

Picture167-1.jpg

Also to remount the air temp, I just drilled another hole and stuck it in there.

Hope this helps someone. The thing that I like the most is the look of an intercooler.

Kyle Eckhoff

Edited by keebler85_04 (see edit history)

does the factory SS cooler bypass the radiator?

No, the aux external cooler that many of us upgrade is a standard part of the GM towing package found on most full size GM SUV's and pickups. There is still a separate cooler that flows through the radiator........

Nice write up Kyle. :thumbs: Did you double clamp those hose connections at all?

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

Picture152.jpg

incase you didnt know instead of unscrewing the nuts from the factory cooler you can just get a pick and pop out those little metal clips there in the bottom, then the metal line comes right out.

And Id double clamp it to be safe, or better yet get some of the little hose clamps that use a bolt to tighten it instead of the regular screw clamps, you can get it a lot tighter with them...

Picture152.jpg

incase you didnt know instead of unscrewing the nuts from the factory cooler you can just get a pick and pop out those little metal clips there in the bottom, then the metal line comes right out.

And Id double clamp it to be safe, or better yet get some of the little hose clamps that use a bolt to tighten it instead of the regular screw clamps, you can get it a lot tighter with them...

i doubled them up last night....did not know that about that piece...i figured it done something...thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...