Will This Cam Work With A Stock Stall

VooDoo 272/278 cam - good cam. I agree with Zippy in that it'll lug a tad from a dead stop, but once you get the truck in motion it'll be alright. The reason I say that is because these cams are nothing like the Comps, even though it's a "272 cam" the placement of the valve events is radically different and there is no overlap (!) so it'll run better than other 222/228 cams hampered with the factory converter. I think the description on the cam card is pretty accurate, it'll be a little sluggish from a dead stop (you may not even notice, it'll probably have a stock 60-ft time) but once it's over 3500-rpm the tack will swing hard to 5500. The VooDoo cams were designed by Harold Brookshire, countless NASCAR and NHRA wins are directly attributed to Harold, he was the owner of UltraDyne cams and I've used LOTS of his stuff in the past and just LOVE it, sounds great, runs great, very safe on valvetrain and very quiet, much more so than the Comp XER stuff and makes just as much power. Harold's cams are much 'peakier', they will have more mid-range power in my experience. If your freeway cruise RPM is 2000 then you should get pretty good mileage too.

Mr. P.

This is NOT apples to apples comparison - but: tell you about Harold's *past* cams - I have a Pontiac 400 w/ 4-spd & 3.73 gears in a Firebird, the cam is an UltraDyne 288/296 hydraulic flat-tappet on a 110LSA, duration at 0.050 is 231/239 so a fairly stout cam - to show off to my friends I would put the car in 4TH gear, and sidestep the clutch at 800-rpm idle, the motor would NOT stall and the car would lurch forward at a few mph, then stand on the throttle and that cam would pull that car from 800-6400 without any drama at all, it would literally jump from 2500-4500. Fantastic cam. AND got great gas mileage too! As I recall it had 12-13 inches of vacuum... Car ran low 12s with QJet and Performer-RPM intake.

The VooDoo line is still pretty new but I'm very eager to see how well they work; I've got high expectations.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

hey Zippy or Mr. P, I was actually looking at the same cam myself and wanted to get your opinion on it. I have a built trans and a 2800 stall along with all the basic bolt ons (i.e. intake, exhaust, headers, custom tune). The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on it is when I called Lunati, the cam guy recommended the cam 1 step down.

Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 262/268

Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 212/218

Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .531/.531

LSA/ICL: 113/109

Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd

RPM Range: 1600-6400

My trucks my DD but it sits in the garage for weeks, sometimes months when I'm deployed. But I really want it to be fun to drive and hang with or beat a stock lightening. Your personal opinions would be appreciated.

hey Zippy or Mr. P, I was actually looking at the same cam myself and wanted to get your opinion on it. I have a built trans and a 2800 stall along with all the basic bolt ons (i.e. intake, exhaust, headers, custom tune). The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on it is when I called Lunati, the cam guy recommended the cam 1 step down.

Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 262/268

Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 212/218

Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .531/.531

LSA/ICL: 113/109

Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd

RPM Range: 1600-6400

My trucks my DD but it sits in the garage for weeks, sometimes months when I'm deployed. But I really want it to be fun to drive and hang with or beat a stock lightening. Your personal opinions would be appreciated.

That cam isn't bad, but a bit small.

you wont get the ford cam only. they are in the 12's

I put a cam in and ran the stock converter and my times were...you guessed it about the same as tuned stock.

Getting a good converter will be an awsome SOTP upgrade.

I hope to go from 2.0 60ft to 1.7 or faster :)

• 2 weeks later...