Front Wheel Hub Removal

My front passanger side wheel hub assembly had a bearing failure now I have the new hub assembly but I can't get the old one off. :confused: I started by removing the brake caliper and rotor then the 36mm axle nut and the three bolts on the back side but I can not for the life of me get the hub assembly to move.

For those of you that have done this before what did you use to get the hub out of the spindle? :confused:

It's probably just frozen in there from road salt & corrosion, I had the same issue with my Buick Regal. The entire bearing is just slip-fit in the spindle, look over my "lowering your truck" how-to and you'll see what I mean. If it's that stubborn I would not be afraid to remove the front half-shaft and then hammer the piss out of it (from the inside) to get it out of the spindle. Remember to clean-up the spindle with 400-grit sandpaper wet with some kind of light oil (ATF) so there is no gunk in the hole before installing the new hub bearing. If it positively will NOT come out then you have no choice but to remove the spindle and take it to a front-end shop to be heated with a torch or pressed out etc but that 99.999% should not be required.

Mr. P. :)

While a good wack with a hammer will probably dislodge it, I took a piece of 1/4" flat-bar, drilled holes in each end to go over the wheel studs and welded a 3/4" nut in the center, with a bolt to press it out easily without any beating on anything. You will still more than likely need to smack the hell out of the backside of the hub assembly once the axle shaft is removed due to corrosion. As was already said, clean up the spindle hole real good and smear a coat of grease in the hole before you put the new hub assembly in.

• 7 years later...

Anybody know the torque of the 3 nuts and the axle nut? I'll try to look it up in the mean time. Yeah, I'm a drifter! Curbs ain't though.I told the insurance Co. it was making noise after the hit folded the broken wheel under the truck. But, what does a Master Tech know anyway? A couple years later and it's to loud for the stereo now. I wonder if I should get one of those shiny new, FREE, windshields while I'm paying for their hub? Why does glare on the old ones eventually seem to cause them to become cracked? Go figure. Karma?

• 4 weeks later...