Mufflers: One Vs. Two.

TX-SS

Sup guys? I was wondering if there is any performance or sound difference between a dual in muffler vs 2 single in mufflers? For example, the super 40 flowmaster. I am looking at this and would it be better for me to do the true duals or the single muffler? Thanks.

From your sig., it looks like your stock. I wouldn't go with two mufflers. You will lose low end TQ & HP, especially with the Flows. There has been some debate on loss of HP and TQ with the topic of "Back pressure". You need it, unless you have a blower. I can really feel the difference when I switch my flow with the Corsa sport. The Corsa gives you 12-20 more HP, depending on your tune. Just stay with one muffler for now, and get a good tune. It will really wake your truck up!

Terry

I would say just go with one dual in dual out muffler and get a custom tune. That is what I am running now and I love the sound at all RPMs and the overall performance of the truck. I tried true duals and they were extremely quiet and there seemed to be a little less power than I have now.

• 2 months later...

I replaced my factory muffler with two 40 series flow's and connected them to the factory

Y-tailpipe and lost no bottom end, the tuck runs a lot better. Also diddn't lose any bottom end

on my 06 rcsb 4x4 with a 4.8 going to tru duals. I've always prefered true duals but the setup

im running right now sounds better than a TD system.

With my SS I have dun a dual from the cats back in to 2 40 sires flow masters and I have them stopped right after the muffler so no pips leaving the mufflers and to me it seems to have more power than when stock even in the low end and when ever I pull up to a party everyone yells at me to rev it up because it sounds like a old muscle car and it is loud you can really hear it in the cab going down the road even with the stereo up.

From your sig., it looks like your stock. I wouldn't go with two mufflers. You will lose low end TQ & HP, especially with the Flows. There has been some debate on loss of HP and TQ with the topic of "Back pressure". You need it, unless you have a blower. I can really feel the difference when I switch my flow with the Corsa sport. The Corsa gives you 12-20 more HP, depending on your tune. Just stay with one muffler for now, and get a good tune. It will really wake your truck up!

Terry

I agree with 1 fast ss. I installed a 40 flowmaster on my SS and it killed the low end torque. It killed it so bad that I could tell it when I left the muffler shop. I purchased 2 3" in and out straight thru mufflers sorta looked like cherry bombs call Flowmonsters and she woke up. My truck is mostly stock. I do know for a fact that this muffle won't do good on my truck. Heck I read the forums before I purchased it and thought No WAY. Yes Way!!!!!!!!!!!! Go to this web site http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscellaneous/exhausttheory.htm.

It quotes:

Do Mufflers "Make" Horsepower? The answer, simply, is no. The most efficient mufflers can only employ the same scavenging effect as a header, to help slightly overcome the loss of efficiency introduced into the system as back pressure. But I have yet to see an engine that made more power with a muffler than an open header exhaust. "So," you ask, "what the hell is the best flowing muffler I can buy?"

According to the flowbench, two of the best flowing units you can buy are the Walker Dyno Max and the Cyclone Sonic. They even slightly out flow the straight through designs from HKS and GReddy BL series. Amongst the worst, are the Thrush Turbo and Flow Master mufflers

True and false. It depends what type of mods you have as well. If you have a FI engine to push the exhaust out, then sure, the flows are great sounding muffler. But if you are not FI, then you might as well throw your precious earned HP and TQ out the window. I have proof from my time slips at the track of losing 3 tenths and 3 mph, just having the flowmaster on instead of the Corsa Sport. But, some people are sworn to having the flows, and that their opinion. Me, I like both. The flowmaster and cutout sounds awsome with my cam on the street, but at the track, I will never have the flowmaster on again, it will be the Corsa from now on. I was embarrassed and pretty pissed off to say the least for the SS owners there. Sorry, didn't mean to get upset.