How Do I Take Off The Stripes On My Truck?

garagemethods

but what should i use to get off the gunk from the tape?

and my bad on the bumper. i should've just looked up behind it.

but you think i should take off the strip from the bumper too if the holes arn't too bad?

or would the chrome just kinda mess up from the gunk and crap to take it off?

Newer trucks are a little easier, but yours may be on there pretty good. Take some heavy duty fishing line and start at the front edge. Pull the line and kind of saw back and forth under the molding to get it started. once you have a piece to hold on too just pull very slowly to get the molding off. Some of the tape will stick to the molding and the rest to the truck. Take some WD-40 and spray it on the adhesive. Let it soak and it should come off with a little work. They also sale adhesive remover that works well also. You may have some paint discolor under the molding though. Give it a good polish and wax after and you should not notice it too much.

yea that paint discolor is what i'm really scared of.

but you'd think the paint under would look better than the rest of the truck, since it's been covered all it's life.

but the paint on the rest of my truck also looks good as new, previous owner had it garaged all the time (even at work!!!)

yea that paint discolor is what i'm really scared of.

but you'd think the paint under would look better than the rest of the truck, since it's been covered all it's life.

but the paint on the rest of my truck also looks good as new, previous owner had it garaged all the time (even at work!!!)

Yep the paint under the molding will be a bit darker. With a good polish and wax it should blend pretty good. The only way to find out is to pull the trigger and pull the molding. Good luck and post pics when you get it done.

so is the clearcoat and discolorment problem from the fading of the paint on the truck or is the paint under the pieces the part that's actually been discolored?

the discoloration is from the fading/oxidizing of the finish on the rest of the truck. the paint and clear under the emblems and moldings haven't been exposed to weather or sun so it will be alittle darker.

as said before just take some fishing line and in a sawing motion, work it from one end to the other. it will take some time and you will go thru plenty of line. a heat gun could also help, but becareful of leaving the gun in one place for too long. you can melt the part and damage the finish. adhesive remover or goo b gone or wd-40 will help in removing the tape after the molding is removed. just be patient.

and yes, as you found out, there are several holes in the bumpers holding and lining the molding up.

they make aftermarket bumpers with no holes for around $100 order a LMC truck catalog they have EVERYTHING for that body style

as far as marks on the body once you get your goo off use some rubbing compound with a rough paper towel itll cut any clear coat or wax down and make it even then give it a nice bath and wax

dont be worried with a little effort itll look mint