My drop kit is going in at 08:30 18 March 04

2005SSR6Speed

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On my '00 Silverado the Bell Tech kit had me flip the lower ball joint and upper control arm, it looks like you do not have to do that with the McGauhy's which should have made it a lot easier. 2004SS, do you just pull off the stock spindle a replace it with the dropped spindle?

All that needs to be done is to remove the stock spindle and pull the shaft and CV from the diff, then install the way the instruction state. The only part that messed us up while we were doing it was that they dont tell you not to use the washer. Use the nut provided in the kit for the upper ball joint and it will countersink all the way into the spindle out of harms way. It was a real easy kit to do, I am more then willing to help someone if they call me during the installation. I do advise at least painting the spindles before installation. You cannt see it when done with the wheel on but it wont look like a## either. I tend to be a little anal when it comes to building vehicles. Mine just hit 376 miles as I pulled back home from a drive to the beach. I love the way it rides and it is lowered just enough to be where they should have sent it from the factory. I still cannt get over how nice these trucks ride, it would ride even smoother if I was to play with the overload spring a little.

On page one of this post explains alot, I seem to be answering the same questions as on the first page. Sorry, maybe I was not clear in how I wrote up the install earlier.

I didnt use the spring hangers (which mount the front of the rear springs to the frame at a higher location) I only used the rear spring shackles at the highest setting. I did the install at a suspension shop in Southern California call E&C Spring. They provided the 2 degree shims for the axle, they were installed to offset the rise in the rear of the spring, so the thick part of the shim goes to the rear. I do not have any vibrations or anything, It could go a little lower but I like it just the way it is right now. I purchased it as a fun tow vehicle that is fast, I am trying to stay within those guidelines in the build?

I have a 2004 Z71 and was looking to also lower my truck. I have measured from the ground to the fender lip in the center of the wheel and the back is 38.5" and the front is 36". If I were to lower the front 2" with spindles and lowered the back 2" with shackles would this require a drive axle adjustment? I guess I'm looking to find out the best way to lower my truck.

I chose the 4X4 because I live in MN were we get some snow in the winter, but I don't plan on using the truck off road or for any towing or hauling. Correct me if I'm wrong but from what I have read the only difference from the SS to a Z71 in ride height is the back is 36.5" vs. 38.5"? Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Also does anyone know how this would impact the factory warranty?

Thanks,

-Brandon

Archived