My drop kit is going in at 08:30 18 March 04

2005SSR6Speed

I will post pictures and a full detail of how everything went. I worked at a suspension shop full time for over 4 years before I enlisted in the Marine Corps (19 years and counting) and I have restored cars for over 20 years, so I have done alot of custom suspensions. I should be able to give a detailed evaluation with regard to the spindles, hangers and shackles.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spent the whole day (7:30 am till 3:00 pm) and $450.00 trying to do a drop other then just 2" front and 2" rear. The front has a good ways to go after the installation of the spindles. The rear sets at 1/2" above the front with just the shackles with 2 degree shims and removing the brackets for the bumpstops. Then just mount the bumpstops into the holes provided in the frame, you dont even need to cut them.

If I was to go any lower on the front it will require adjusting the torsion bars which is what I didnt want to do for today. I wanted to leave the front exactly as it came from the factory (with the installation of the spindles) to see if I got any vibration.

I just got off the phone with Mike and we talked about the ride height and he said that the torsion bars on mine are a little high rather then low. His suggestion was to install the front hangers, remove the 2 degree shims and crank the front bars down about 4 or 5 full turns. If it starts to vibrate then just adust it up 1/4 turn at a time till the vibration is gone. This should get me perfect for a flat drop for the front and back.

I just got back from aligning it for the last time today. Maybe some day in the near future I may decide to lower it 2" more playing with the torsion bars and the installation of the front spring hangers. I know that 2" lower doesnt seem like much but I like it just the way it is right now. I dont have any vibration or bottoming out and it feels great.

Thanks to Mike and the time he spent on the phone with me today on his quarter. I have some detailed shots of the front installation but will need to resize them for hosting and posting. Thanks to everyone that has helped in this.

So you did 2 degree shims in the rear, which way did you install them? Were they pointing towards the front of the truck or towards the rear? I tried 2 degree shims on mine and it seems ed to make the vibration worse. I think I might have put them in backwards.

Also, how fast have you had your truck up to?

And thanks for the info., glad to hear you like the way it turned out. I really don't want to do the hangers either. Your's must sit very similar to mine now then.

42821630.jpg

We installed the shims so they compensated for the lift at the rear of the spring. Which if I remember right had the thicker end to the rear of the vehicle.

I am real pleased at how it all turned out and dont know if I will ever install the hangers. I purchased it to tow my 1932 Chevrolet Roadster and enclosed trailer so I think it will be perfect. Now all I have to do is put the 32 back together and start taking it to shows, right now it is completely disassembled.

Would you mind checking the direction of the shims sometime if you have a chance? I'll probably never do the hangers either, one more SS piece sitting around. I really like the way my truck sits now and I didn't want it any lower in the back. Sure would like to see pictures of the '32 when it's done.

Thanks for the help

The thick is to the rear on the shim to compensate for the lift in the back while the front acted as just a pivot point.

I just took it down the 78 freeway over to the coast (13 miles) and gave it hell to see if it would do anything. There is even a section that at 90 plus used to make my Z06 hit the bumpstops and I didnt even feel a thing. It actually feels better in the back then it did before. When I purchased it I commented on the fact that it is so bouncy in the rear suspension. When we had it all apart today we noticed that it actually sits on the overload leaf (thick bottom leaf in the spring pack). I bet I could soften the ride even more by flattening the overload leaf so it isnt riding on it all the time. Play for another day!

Final result is everything is perfect! I would recommend this to anyone the way I did it. I just dont know if I would be able to turn the torsion bars and get a good ride still? I would imagine that most would not be happy with just a 2" drop all the way around, but I try not to assume.

2004SS,

Thanks for checking the shim. Just to let you know I have flipped the load leaf and it does soften the rear a lot. You won't like how it tows the '32 that way though. I put a 250lb. treadmill in mine and it sagged quite a bit.

Also, how does your's sit compared to mine? Is it lower or higher? If you have a chance could you measure the fenderlip to ground distance front and rear please?

Thanks

Archived