Oil filter & lube

NastyBlack

• 3 years later...

Hello, everyone. I've got the new style 2007 Silverado 1500 with the 6.0 Vortec Max, I've found some conflicting information on what oil filter to use. I'm currently using a Mobil 1 M1-113 filter, anyone know if this is correct?

Hello, everyone. I've got the new style 2007 Silverado 1500 with the 6.0 Vortec Max, I've found some conflicting information on what oil filter to use. I'm currently using a Mobil 1 M1-113 filter, anyone know if this is correct?

:eek: wow talk about pulling a thread out of the archives, this ones over 3 years old....

I am not sure what filter is used on the 07's, but most autopart stores usually have a cross-reference guide that will tell you a vehicles correct filter number for various filter brands..........

BTW, welcome to the site :cheers:

• 1 month later...

Crash course - there are 2 very important things you shop for when you buy a filter:

* filtration media, general design

* anti-drainback valve

Filtration media basically determines how well the can screens out the contaminants from the oil; if the filter is too "coarse" then you've got trash circulating in your oil, if it's too "fine" then you risk the filtration media getting plugged up solid and cutting flow, this will open the emergency bypass valve and you will get unfiltered oil circulating through your engine. As a point of reference, there are filters for drag racing that basically just have screen-door mesh for filtration (i.e. NO filtration!) and if you operate an engine with such a filter you will need a re-ring job in 12K-15K miles even if you change the oil at 3000-miles (I've seen it first-hand); my point being that you DO NOT want unfiltered oil in your engine, you do not want to leave the filter on there so long that the safety bypass valve opens because the filter media has used-up it's intended lifetime and is clogged.

Anti-drainback valve - filters are made with a one-way valve so that when the engine is turned off gravity will not cause the oil in the engine to empty itself backwards into the oil pan; if the filter had no anti-drainback valve then every time you shut the engine off the oil galleys would empty, and when on restart it the motor would be dry. Because startup is where most engine wear happens you want oil to immediately begin lubricating parts on startup, not wait 5-seconds for the engine to refill and pressure to build. My point is that a good anti-drainback valve is essential to keeping a motor happy for a long, long time.

General consensus on filters, best to worst:

1) Mobile-1, K&N - most expensive ($10) but have best filtration media and anti-drainback valves; I used Mobile-1 filters on my truck and am very impressed with the fact that the next morning when I hit the key I instantly have oil pressure and there is no startup "piston slap" or "lifter knock". But at $10 this is not my favorite filter.

2) Purolator (the regular Purolator, not the expensive Pure One) - my favorite filter, cost is right, anti-drainback valve works great, really good filtration; too bad Walmart refuses to carry them.

3) Purolator "Pure One" - expensive filter and has the tightest filter media, it is so fine that you should be running 0W-30 or 0W-40 through the engine.

4) WIX filters - WIX also makes a lot of off-brand filters

DO NOT buy a FRAM! The anti-drainback valve is very poor, every morning you will have a dry startup and it will show after 10s of thousands of miles. Their filtration media is not that great either. It is generally accepted that the Walmart generic filters are *far* superior to any Fram and still cost 1/2 the price.

Mr. P. :)

I've used the SuperTech filters a couple of times after reading a good writeup on them, but I'm noticing something odd. When using the GM filter, the oil pressure is usually pegged at 40psi and really doesn't ever seem to move up or down - even under throttle. OTOH, when using the SuperTech filter, the oil pressure is less than 40psi at idle, like 30 I guess, and will rise relatively significantly under throttle. This has happened with two filters so far, so I'm thinking it's something in the design. Any ideas?

Thanks,

JP

• 3 months later...

Mr. P thanks for the info, and I apologize for the long delay in responding! I also apologize for rambling on about oil/filter selection, probably not the most exciting thing to be posting about, but oh well.

And JP, I've noticed similar situations with my VMax. When I put the Mobil 1 filter on (replacing the Delco) I noticed that my oil pressure would get close to 20 at idle with a warm engine, and only really ever get close to 40 at high rpms, then back down to around 30 at highway speeds. I went back to a Delco filter, and now to a Wix filter, and it's still acting the exact same way. I'm guessing for me it was just the fact that I switched to Mobil 1 5W-30, and not the filter that changed my oil pressures.

After each oil change, I've noticed lifter knock/valve tick/or something like it for about the first week or two, regardless of which filter I've put on. Not sure if the anti-drainback valve needs time to seat itself properly or get some dirt on it? The problem goes away until the next oil change, kind of weird.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome and all the help!

• 1 year later...

go to my website sc-bestsynthetics.com.

you can get amsoil oil and filters. click link on right for auto and light trucks. you can look up products for yr mak and engine.

Thank you Stretchss

Archived