Homemade Turbo Ideas...

Take a look - http://www.ststurbo.com

Parts layout http://www.ststurbo.com/inc/pdetail?v=1&pid=383

There is nothing to this kit, besides the pump for the oil return. Any local "exhaust hillbilly" could replicate the pipes. The money saved could be used to add an intercooler and maybe even tuning. If this "rear mount" layout really works - copying this might be the cost effective way to go.

I would imagine that the two big problems would be turbo lag and throttle response due to the long intake piping.

Again, this is just a thought - lemme know what you guys think...

:cheers:

I assume you guys saw the article in this months SportTruck magazine. STS remote turbo on an 03 Silverado Excab. Very simple looking. Unimpressive performance though - 16 seconds before, mid 14s after. Also, I wouldn't want my air filter to be located under the truck near the rear axle.

BigTex, thanks for the info - I did miss that article and will go pick up the mag tomorrow. I would imagine the kit must have made atleast 100 more crank hp to drop almost 2 seconds though? The Turbo would go on my parents SS, they went 14.9 stock. I would think the kit could get them into the 13's I would also imagine that the truck in the mag was untuned?

I called them Saturday and was told it is in development. He said only MINOR modifications were needed. The man I spoke with is supposed to get back with me tomorrow for more information. I was told that only the Y pipe was slightly different and if we did not want to wait for the new kit we could easily use the 5.3 kit with a trip to a muffler shop. He also said that both kits will use the same turbo.

I should have more info tomorrow... :D

I wonder how this turbo kit would affect the warranty on our tucks. I know that if you have your dealer install a radix supercharger that they will not void your warranty.

Also would this kit benefit from a new set of headers.

No way I'd pay almost $4000 for this kit. I still don't like the idea of the air filter under the truck, and having the intake air forced from back by the axle all the way to the motor is a waste.

6psi of turbo boost is the same as 6psi of supercharger boost. The SC may eat a few HP turning the compressor, but thats the only difference. So comparing this turbo making 6psi and any other SC making 6 psi, not much difference. Only vairable is having the air charge intercooled (which this turbo kit doesn't do).

That being said, there is no way this 6psi turbo kit would make 12s, much less low 13s. Dcairns ran 13.9 with 7psi of intercooled Radix boost, and I dont think the STS kit will make even this much power. If the STS kit could generate 15psi of intercooled boost, then it has a shot. But being remote mounted, the turbo lag would be horrible.

I am just not sure that I want to shell out the money for this concept that no one has any experience with. I am sure that the turbo works some what. I would think that a radix would be a better way to go and then just throw a 2.90 or 3.00 pulley on there.

BigTex, 6psi from one compressor is NOT the same as 6psi from another.

It is much, much more involved than that...

I believe that the radix uses an eaton M112 Compressor (I could be wrong), here is a link to some compressor maps from eaton http://www.automotive.eaton.com/product/en...trols/M112.html

As a rule of thumb when reading Turbo compressor maps, every 10 lbs/min is about 100 Hp... but the eaton map is in cfm to convert, divide by .069. So our CFM needed is ~724 assuming a Radix on an SS makes say, 500 crank hp (just a guess). Looking at the map, the M112 turning 12000 rpm will flow 700 cfm. At that speed and running ~10psi the compressor takes 60 HP to drive. Also if the ambient temp is say 90 (under the hood at the filter) the compressor heats the and additional 200 and then pumps 290 degree air the engine.

I was tired when I wrote this and again, could be off here. Also I am not saying that a turbo mounted 10 feet away from engine is the most efficent thing either - but we must remember there is more that plays into things.

As far as this STS kit goes - we wont know till we see one on an SS.

I just was thinking, it would take almost nothing to replicate one of these kits...

for cheap.

I found some Turbo maps think the STS kit is a 60-1... ahh too much math I'm goin to bed :sleep:

Archived