Valve Springs Install

there are a few ways of doing it: first to keep the valves from falling in the cylinders you need to bring the piston to TDC or fill the cylinder with compressed air to hold the valves closed. you can use a standard spring compressor (allows one at a time) or get one made for the LS motors and do them 2 at a time, there is also one that allows you to use a large breaker bar to compress the spings as well. hope this hepls and good luck

there are a few ways of doing it: first to keep the valves from falling in the cylinders you need to bring the piston to TDC or fill the cylinder with compressed air to hold the valves closed. you can use a standard spring compressor (allows one at a time) or get one made for the LS motors and do them 2 at a time, there is also one that allows you to use a large breaker bar to compress the spings as well. hope this hepls and good luck

That should be a lot easier than removing the heads. Thanks for the information.

This is the compressor i use the pry bar one sucks. Crane Cams Just set the regulator on your air compressor to 100 psi or so and tread the air line into the spark plug hole and go to work. The seat will not let the vavle fall even without air it takes a little push to pass the seal and drop the valve. The air is a good back up. Get a pin magnet for locks. They are small and a pain to grab. Another thing is after you get the rockers off hit the valve stem with a rubber hammer to free up the locks from the retaines. Dont be scared to give them a good wack. If not the locks will stick to the retainer when you compress the springs.

• 2 weeks later...

To get mine off I used just a regular valve spring compressor from NAPA - cost about $7. It's just a small prybar. To put the new ones on I used one of the compressors that clamp onto the spring with a turn handle at the top. Very easy to use. Tbryne used to sell a quality one. The downside of those type is if you don't get a good one they will piss you off. Great tip with the pen magnets. Use them to pull out the locks just when you release tension off of them. I also used the magnets to help me guide them back in place when I was putting the springs back in. I also used the TDC method and compressed air.

Edited by BenKey (see edit history)