6.0 Turbo Build (pics)

slow6.0.

Someone had sent me a link to this site telling me its a real good site to get some good info on the 6.0. I am doing a build right now and had a few questions.

I am doing a stock shortblock 6.0 (lq4) turbo and was just wondering what some of you guys are seeing as far as "reliable HP". We all know that there are alot of factors that come into the hp but given the tune is "safe" and your not detonating.. what sort of power have you guys seen and/or made? How long?

I want this engine to last and dont want to push it to a point where its unsafe. Also while at this power level, how much total timing are you guys running under full boost generaly on pump gas? Also turbo size (mm) and boost levels to acheive these power goals would be appricated too because I plan on street tuning this thing and am wondering if I should get it on a dyno. I dont want to make to much power and obviously street tuning you wont know how far your pushing it.

Here is my build! Im going to be doing a 6.0 turbo swap into my car. I have a few pictures of the build so far and I hope to have it done in the next month or so if everything goes well. Any advice along the way always helps because I'm new to all this GM stuff ;-) I figured this would be a great place to get alot of good info and I thought you guys would appriciate the engine :)

It started out as this about 4 years ago

before3.jpg

before1.jpg

Then this is how I first "finished" it.

PICT0243.jpg

PICT0237.jpg

PICT0235.jpg

Here is my first power adder.. I didnt like the lazy centri blower so I took it off

PICT0130.jpg

So I woke up and did this..

PICT0174.jpg

PICT0232.jpg

I blew a ring land in the stock 5.0 and instead of putting another weak 5.0 back in the car.. you guessed it 6.0. Hopefully I dont run into to many purists :) Here are some pictures of the progress so far.

DSC01086.jpg

Found a 35k mile 2003 LQ4

DSC01096.jpg

DSC01107.jpg

DSC01106.jpg

DSC01104.jpg

DSC01131.jpg

DSC01126.jpg

Picks up a t56 out of a GTO

Here is a new pic from today.. I got the engine mounts/k member finished.

DSC01172.jpg

DSC01178.jpg

camera009.jpg

Edited by slow6.0. (see edit history)

sweet man welcome to the site.....let the boost gurus show up and fill ya in..but like i said earlier go to the racing section and there is a thread for times and mods that tell you how much boost they were running etc..never mind here

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2857

ooooooooo more pictures. I cant believe the later pictures of that pony were the same of the old car. looks good and will run even beter with a sbc blown :chevy: . Like they say " build ford thought with chevy parts." lol. 04chase can be of some help here also. what tranny are you going to run on that?

id say about 12 psi or so to be conservative. i dont know what the turbo guys are running as for timing but i built my current motor with similar compression ( my 370 has 9.25 with your lq4 being 9.5 ) and im running max about 18 degress At 15 psi with meth. and 91 octane.

with good intercooling and meth i could see that with the turbo.

is it just me or does that block look aluminum?

I dont know about that master power turbo, Ive heard bad things about them. That things gonna haul some ass though, good job

Ive heard bad things about alot of turbos, you kinda just gotta pick one and go with it. This turbo has worked perfect since I bought it. I made 550whp with this turbo on the 5 litre.

Im going to be running a t56 out of a GTO to answer the tranny question.

I'll post more pics for you guys as they come. Im trying to et the clutch to work now.

I love it! :thumbs: I had a 91 with a NOVI blown 302 but parted it out and sold the running fox body for $750 :(

One day I will have another one and will do something very similar to what you are doing. As for power, I could easily see you matching that 550RWHP mark with low boost (10-12psi) through that T56 and do it "reliably" on a good tune. If you are handy with internals, I would suggest doing a turbo friendly cam and better springs. You can run less boost and make the same power (if not more) with a more pump gas friendly motor. The LQ4 has "weaker" rods (than the LQ9) if I am not mistaken however can sure take some punishment so I am not too concerned. I see you are asking about spark advance so I assume you will be doing the tuning??? Are you using the 03 GM wire harness and PCM? If so, that is where you will love using the GM powerplant. Get friendly with HPTuners, EFI Live, TunerCat or LS1 Edit etc. and you will have awesome control over that pig. The amount of advance you can run at WOT is really going to be dependent on your particular set-up and tune. You will have to start low and go up :cheers:

Do keep us posted on your build! :cheers:

I love it! :thumbs: I had a 91 with a NOVI blown 302 but parted it out and sold the running fox body for $750 :(

One day I will have another one and will do something very similar to what you are doing. As for power, I could easily see you matching that 550RWHP mark with low boost (10-12psi) through that T56 and do it "reliably" on a good tune. If you are handy with internals, I would suggest doing a turbo friendly cam and better springs. You can run less boost and make the same power (if not more) with a more pump gas friendly motor. The LQ4 has "weaker" rods (than the LQ9) if I am not mistaken however can sure take some punishment so I am not too concerned. I see you are asking about spark advance so I assume you will be doing the tuning??? Are you using the 03 GM wire harness and PCM? If so, that is where you will love using the GM powerplant. Get friendly with HPTuners, EFI Live, TunerCat or LS1 Edit etc. and you will have awesome control over that pig. The amount of advance you can run at WOT is really going to be dependent on your particular set-up and tune. You will have to start low and go up :cheers:

Do keep us posted on your build! :cheers:

I purchased a ls6 cam and springs, thats what I'm going to be using in the valve train. Along with some hardened push rods. A friend of mine is really good with HP tuners and tunes alot of cars. We are going to be doing a speed density tune with a 2 bar map. We'll probably just start low and work our way up with the timing. I have some 60lb injectors, so I'm sure I wont have to worryabout fuel. I bought a stand alone harness and am going to be using a 02 camaro ECU. Thanks for the info and I'll keep you guys updated.

As for the block, the aluminum one is a blown 5.7 block I was just using for mock up to build the turbo kit. The 6.0 is the cast iron, I just painted it black.

Welcome to the forum :cheers: LOVE the build, f'n awesome!

To answer your question directly, top ring-land failures are seen in the factory pistons once you get above 550-rwhp, plus they are very unforgiving to detonation so your tune has got to be right-on if running at the ragged edge. I am not sure I agree with Kevin (Krambo) I thought the LQ4 & LQ9 were identical except for pistons? But with conrods conventional wisdom is to replace the rod bolts with ARP2000 ones and limit revs to 6400 or so. IMO next time budget permits, swap in forged rods & pistons (use the factory crank) and let the big dog eat, run that SOB to 7000+ or so. Your Cam & PCM choice I agree with, very solid choices. Also, I would splurge on the clutch, it's probably going to be *the* real weak point in the car. But after the gremlins are worked out I would bet $1 the car on the factory LQ4 block runs a very reliable 10-flat. :driving:

Mr. P. :)

Welcome to the forum :cheers: LOVE the build, f'n awesome!

To answer your question directly, top ring-land failures are seen in the factory pistons once you get above 550-rwhp, plus they are very unforgiving to detonation so your tune has got to be right-on if running at the ragged edge. I am not sure I agree with Kevin (Krambo) I thought the LQ4 & LQ9 were identical except for pistons? But with conrods conventional wisdom is to replace the rod bolts with ARP2000 ones and limit revs to 6400 or so. IMO next time budget permits, swap in forged rods & pistons (use the factory crank) and let the big dog eat, run that SOB to 7000+ or so. Your Cam & PCM choice I agree with, very solid choices. Also, I would splurge on the clutch, it's probably going to be *the* real weak point in the car. But after the gremlins are worked out I would bet $1 the car on the factory LQ4 block runs a very reliable 10-flat. :driving:

Mr. P. :)

So at 550 the failure begins? Should I keep it below that or is 550 "safe" . Rule of thumb for the 302 was around 500. I blew a ringland on that engine but it wasbecause it took alot more boost to make the power. I plan on pushing around 10psi. I dont really care how much power it makes as long as its safe. Some people are saying I'm going to make alot more hp then I think. Im hoping it doesnt go to high.