***EVERYONE PLEASE READ!!!***

Welcome to the site.

The Gaylord's removes in about 30 seconds. However, as I think with any fiberglass lid, you're not going to be able to do by yourself. I don't consider that easy, regardless of how long it takes in the given example. My wife couldn't help me get my lid on or off with the last truck, so I had to get a neighbor to help me.

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I figured instead of making a new thread, I would just add to this one.

I finally got the remote control option installed on my Snug Top SL tonneau cover. When I originally bought this lid, the salesman advised me to not purchase the remote control option at that time. The reason being, the remote control at that time were almost the same size of the remote for our trucks. I definately didn't want to have to carry two remotes for my truck. One of the biggest reasons for buying this option is because alot of the time, I need to get into the bed and I hate having to remove the key to open it. So I waited (well worth it) and got it done last Sunday.

Here is a pic of the remote/key.

84792730.jpg

I also got an accessory light wired (no batteries) into the system. The pics really don't show the lighting justice. It really lights up the bed at night. I used to carry a flashlight to be able to see at night, but no more!

84792717.jpg

84792723.jpg

84792721.jpg

I still might take it back to the place where I got it installed and have them install another light on the other side of the bed. An LED light would be great! :thumbs: The total for the remote option including installation was $210.00 plus another $20.00 for the light. The kit comes with a wiring harness that plugs into an already existing plug near the front of the lid, (2) remote keys like in the picture above, and two non-remote keys. I'm glad I went with this lid! :cool:

Late- Alex

I just wanted to say that I also purchased a snug top tonneau cover and it goes over the factory ss tail gate cover with out a problem. It was well worth spending the money to get one that works and came painted and I didn't have to worry about getting a regular silverado tail gate cover.

• 1 month later...
The Gaylord X2000 fits over the stock Silverado SS tailgate cap also.  Link to the site below. 

http://www.msnusers.com/ICORNERssite/shoebox.msnw

I think it looks better than the SnugTop, but the electric lock option on the SnugTop sure looks neat.  I am trying to shame Gaylord into offering a retro-fit electric lock setup.

Rick R

Rick,

I looked at your pics...have you has the "bowing" b/c of the heat given you any problems opening or closing your cover? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for your X2000. I think it does look better than the SnugTop also. Beautiful truck, by the way. :cool:

Dan

Another newbie here gettin addicted to this website. :P

Anyways...I just got back from an auto shop that deals in tonneau covers, etc. The guy kept trying to talk me out of the Gaylord X2000. He claimed that you have to drill into the bed of the truck to install it. He also said that the paint that Gaylord uses is bad and will "bubble up" when heated by the sun. He also said the paint chips off after two years. My question is: does anyone agree/disagree with these ideas? I really really like the way the X2000 looks and would hate to invest a lot of money in something of inferior quality. He was trying to point me towards a cover made by "Ranch Fiberglass." I'm guessing maybe this guy doesn't know what hes talking about or has a deal with this other vendor.

Sorry for such a long post. Any input is appreciated.

Dan

Another newbie here gettin addicted to this website.  :P 

Anyways...I just got back from an auto shop that deals in tonneau covers, etc.  The guy kept trying to talk me out of the Gaylord X2000.  He claimed that you have to drill into the bed of the truck to install it.  He also said that the paint that Gaylord uses is bad and will "bubble up" when heated by the sun.  He also said the paint chips off after two years.  My question is: does anyone agree/disagree with these ideas?  I really really like the way the X2000 looks and would hate to invest a lot of money in something of inferior quality.  He was trying to point me towards a cover made by "Ranch Fiberglass."  I'm guessing maybe this guy doesn't know what hes talking about or has a deal with this other vendor. 

Sorry for such a long post.  Any input is appreciated.

Dan

You do not have to drill with the X-2000. Also, my paint has not bubbled up when under the sun. As a matter of fact my truck sleeps outside and is constantly being ponded by the sun, no ill effects as of yet.

Archived