***EVERYONE PLEASE READ!!!***

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Truck looks great :thumbs:

How close are you to San Diego?  Looks like Navy ships in the bg of the bottom pic.

Thanks!!!

We get Navy ships here every now and then. We were getting them for a while cause they needed to be off loaded from Iraq. That was a trip cause we actually got to drive the Hummers and small equipment vehicles off the ship. I drove a Hummer with bullet holes all up on the windshield and couldn't help but wonder if someone died in there. I salute :flag: everyone in the service!!! Oh, and I'm about 2 hours from San Diego.

Late- Alex

Great Pics :thumbs:

I went up this weekend to take a look at a sample of the SL, I'm officially hooked :eek: The shop I'm buying from is a small dealer, I told them about you Alex and the head of the operation said that they'll give it a shot. When my top makes it in I'll show them the pics of yours.

Thanks

Seven :chevy:

You could be right that us dealers just assumed the spoiler would have to be removed. the next one I install (Gaylords) I'm gonna try it. Problem is I don't get a lot of SS's.

Anyway thanks for the heads up.

Well it gets even better for SnugTop.

They make an electric lock version that can be used alone or tied into an aftermarket alarm. So you hit the remote and your tonneau cover lid pops open. I think there is a problem with the factory electric lock tie in. Good thing to keep your SS tailcap. It looks good. These are powerful reasons to buy the SnugTop. I still don't care for the looks or the hinge system though, compared with the X2000 with speedstur.

I bought a Gaylord X2000 with Speedstur wing in December that was finally installed 3 weeks ago. When I ordered it the salesman said that he could get electric actuators to make it work with my alarm system door lock (trunk lock function). I had my alarm shop wire it for alarm trigger, +12V DC, ground and actuator initiate. The truck shop was not able to get the actuators to work (no failsafe and did not pull down tonneau). I am currently trying to shame Gaylord into designing retrofit electric locks, that I would be willing to pay for. I love the looks and quality of the Gaylord X2000 with speedstur wing, but SnugTop has done a good job making a clean and functional cover. Too bad my scamming dealer would not tell me anything about the SnugTop cover option when I asked them.

Rick R

Man this X2000 thing is getting frustrating. Based on this thread I began to question if my X2000 would fit over the stock SS tailgate cap.

My shop swapped mine and painted the standard cap the blue color of my truck several weeks before my X2000 came in. Today I realized that the speedstur wing area is hollow by the tailgate cap. So tonight I slid my SS tailgate cap OVER the standard cap on my tailgate and closed the X2000 cover. Guess What --- It was a little tight but it still fit. Without the thickness of the standard cap and a thin coat of Rhinoliner, it would definitely fit. And the rubber seal still contacted at the bottom edge of the cap. So there was no reason to swap out the tailgate cap and I can have the SS cap reinstalled as it looks a whole lot better and saved $85.

Just thought that I would let you know.

Rick R

Good info. I have one question:

I have never had a bed cover on any of my previous trucks, Im worried the thing will get dirt/grit under the lip and scratch up the paint ... is this a valid concern??? If not then it looks like Im going with the SnugTOP!

Thanks in advance for the help guys! :chevy:

Good info. I have one question:

I have never had a bed cover on any of my previous trucks, Im worried the thing will get dirt/grit under the lip and scratch up the paint ... is this a valid concern??? If not then it looks like Im going with the SnugTOP!

Thanks in advance for the help guys! :chevy:

I too was concerned about that. That is why I Line-X'ed my bed over the rails, no more worries!!! I would think dirt could'nt get in between the seal and the rails while it was shut. I think if you clean the top of the rails when you wash your truck, you should be fine. This is my first tonneau cover also!

Late- Alex

The Gaylord X2000 fits over the stock Silverado SS tailgate cap also. Link to the site below.

http://www.msnusers.com/ICORNERssite/shoebox.msnw

I think it looks better than the SnugTop, but the electric lock option on the SnugTop sure looks neat. I am trying to shame Gaylord into offering a retro-fit electric lock setup.

Rick R

I am not only new to this site but new to trucks. I have been looking into a cover and like what I have read about the SL but have a question, is it easy to remove if you want to haul something big? I have been told about some covers that do not require tools, just pop out a couple of pins and pull it off. Just curious.

Archived