Yet Another Cam Question

ok im now saving for a cam and i need to know around total price you guys have spent on a whole set up so i know when to stop saving and start buying and all the parts i will need ok im prettysure i was a 234/236 112 lsa i dont know a whole lot about cams but what all do i need to support that im thinking of going with a 3200 stall, headers and i know i need more like springs lifters and such right? thanks guys btw this is in a 5.3 no soon plans of sc or turbo but maybe a 75 or 150 shot

Edited by black04silverado (see edit history)

ok im now saving for a cam and i need to know around total price you guys have spent on a whole set up so i know when to stop saving and start buying and all the parts i will need ok im prettysure i was a 234/236 112 lsa i dont know a whole lot about cams but what all do i need to support that im thinking of going with a 3200 stall, headers and i know i need more like springs lifters and such right? thanks guys btw this is in a 5.3 no soon plans of sc or turbo but maybe a 75 or 150 shot

Well, I'm in the middle of doing my cam install as we speak. The total cost is just under $2000. With that I got the cam (208/212 .554/.558), lifters, push rods, springs, retainers, valve locks, 1.75 roller rockers, vavle cover spacers, head gaskets, head bolts, crank bolt, valve cover gaskets, timing cover/water pump gaskets, and radiator fluid. You will need exhaust and a tune for a cam. The stock lifters are good for about 600hp. However, if you have a lot of miles I would recomend replacing them. Call Comp Cam and tell them what you have. They will recomend what is good for your application.

Holy crap that's alot of cam for a 5.3L.

its go big or go home right?

You can work with it but you need to build around the cam. Think of it as the heart or controlling factor in the mix. You need to figure out what your goals are with your motor.

Somebody once explained it to me like this.

Heads and cams need to match. Think of your heads as a door and your cam is what opens that door. You have a high lift cam but be opening the small door, or you could have a big door opening just a bit.

All im saying is try and build yourself around them cam. And do you plan on DD the truck or weekend driver. To big of a cam and stall can take the drive ability out of it. I not going to tell you its to big because when it comes to numbers im horrible. But i just saying make sure this is what you want and do all the research you can before dedicating yourself to it.

You can work with it but you need to build around the cam. Think of it as the heart or controlling factor in the mix. You need to figure out what your goals are with your motor.

Somebody once explained it to me like this.

Heads and cams need to match. Think of your heads as a door and your cam is what opens that door. You have a high lift cam but be opening the small door, or you could have a big door opening just a bit.

All im saying is try and build yourself around them cam. And do you plan on DD the truck or weekend driver. To big of a cam and stall can take the drive ability out of it. I not going to tell you its to big because when it comes to numbers im horrible. But i just saying make sure this is what you want and do all the research you can before dedicating yourself to it.

wow thanks guys that makes alot of sence well what do you guys think i should get. its still going to be my dd but i want it to run good numbers on the weekends and have good driveabilty im goting to get cam stall and headers at one time im not sure how soon after i will get heads but i am wanting to do a 75 or 150 shot but my goal with a cam and heads and stall is 13 sec is this goal reachable thanks guys for all your help

wow thanks guys that makes alot of sence well what do you guys think i should get. its still going to be my dd but i want it to run good numbers on the weekends and have good driveabilty im goting to get cam stall and headers at one time im not sure how soon after i will get heads but i am wanting to do a 75 or 150 shot but my goal with a cam and heads and stall is 13 sec is this goal reachable thanks guys for all your help

If you have a single cab it is very reasonable to reach your goals with a 150 shot. I know a guy running a 150 shot and stall and he runs low 13's all day. If you have a bigger vehicle just depends on your tune and everything else. Where your running and conditions. Just use the search button to try and figure out what you need and what your trying to do.

If you have a single cab it is very reasonable to reach your goals with a 150 shot. I know a guy running a 150 shot and stall and he runs low 13's all day. If you have a bigger vehicle just depends on your tune and everything else. Where your running and conditions. Just use the search button to try and figure out what you need and what your trying to do.

i have an ext cab and track ready its 5000 even so what size cam do you think i should go with that i can still use her as myDD and my track toy on the weekends?

220's

I might use a 114 lsa but good tuner could tune a 112.

who is doing your tune, ask them if they have any tuned cam they like...

the wrong cam will be both slow and painful b/c in the back of your mind you know you have to pull it out.

dont go too bg, you will be surprized how much a "little" cam can do if chosen properly.

well you need to plan on your goal for the truck kinda sounds like 13s is the goal.. but then u need to deside on what power adder your going to use.. because a blower , nitros, turbo, and N/a cam.. will all be differnent so deside on what you want and what fits in your budget..and so some reseach on that.. youve got the right idea.. you need to make everything work together..it will pay off big time if you do..and im sure theres alot of us that will help anyway we can... back to your basic question... you sould be around 695 to 750 for a cam package. texas speed is a good website and very nice guys to talk to . good luck

well you need to plan on your goal for the truck kinda sounds like 13s is the goal.. but then u need to deside on what power adder your going to use.. because a blower , nitros, turbo, and N/a cam.. will all be differnent so deside on what you want and what fits in your budget..and so some reseach on that.. youve got the right idea.. you need to make everything work together..it will pay off big time if you do..and im sure theres alot of us that will help anyway we can... back to your basic question... you sould be around 695 to 750 for a cam package. texas speed is a good website and very nice guys to talk to . good luck

thanks guys i will let you guys know how the build goes

• 1 year later...

This is my first post so I'll try to keep it simple in regards to drive ability. :rolleyes: I've kinda been eyeballing SS's for a while and don't currently own one yet. I found someone in South Carolina selling an 03 ss with 82'000 miles. With this current setup, would this truck be relegated to mostly weekend cruises or is this something that could be drivenly daily? I know stock these puppies aren't getting hybrid mpg's so in addition to this setup how much more does it affect mpg? :cheers:

Engine:

Competitions Cams 224/224 581/581 with 114 lsa

Comp 918 valve springs

Comp ChromeMoly push rods

160* thermostat and throttle body coolant delete

OBX stainless steel long tube headers with high flow cats

Dual exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers and twin tip side exit before right rear tire

GM Perfomance Parts Cold Air Induction kit

Mayheim Motorsports Custom Performance Tune (passes NC State Emissions inspection with no problems)

Transmission:

Raybestos Z-pac clutches

Kevlar 2-4 band

Billet servos

"The Beast"unbreakable sunshell

Transgo shift kit set to street/strip specs

Yank Pro Truck 3200 stall converter (Factory trans cooler is still inplace and I also added a second cooler so no worries there.