1992- Silverado Ss Or Not?

lknspeed

THANKS, fellas! she is purdy for a 16 year old truck. I picked it up for 2500 cash and drove it home! 178k miles, needed a water pump, and serious front brake work. ever see someone run the front pads down SO far, they go PAST metal-to-metal, and the caliper pistons were worn about 3/8 of an inch- into the rotors!!!!! this guy was definitely more concerned with the appearance than maintenance- hence the reason Im putting a new engine in- shes using a little oil.

P.S.- as far as power, I did a 3" hi flow cat, flowmaster super 44 muffler and out the back with 2.5" tailpipes, gutted the factory air intake, K&N filter, ported throttle body and cranked up the fuel pressure. definitely runs strong, but pops bone stock 04 Silvie SS will pass me like im tied to a fencepost hahaha! hopefully that new engine will help.....

Edited by lknspeed (see edit history)

technically the 350 version was called the Sport. and came with Sport graphics on the rear corners of the bed sides. the only graphic on the tailgate was the angled lettered CHEVROLET with the red bowtie. people and dealers called them the 350SS because the looked identical to the 454SS. i thought they built the 454SS thru the 94 model year but maybe it was 93.

SS454 1990 3 speed automatic 92-94 4L80 4 speed automatic Got a 93 thats a blast w/88k on odometer like new...upgraded w/Eaton posi with Kevlar clutches..it hooks up just fine with slicks but will burn the rear stock tires off.....

the sport pacakge not only came with the graphics yall speak of on the tailgate, but some did have 350ss on the bedside. real difference was the blisten shocks, like found on the Z-71 pkg, the wider chrome wheels like the 454ss, and the bfg comp t/a tires only on the sport package. also, all i seen had the high back bucket seats with center console, and the tach, which was on option until 95. then it was standard. also i believe the 350's had the 10bolt rear, but had 3.73's and that factory locker. worked well for what it was.

as for the 454's, the 90 model had the th400, and 3.73's i believe. along with the 9.5" 14 bolt rearend. in 91, they went the 4l60, and acually the lowered the gear to 4.10's. with the od it got better mileage, but wasnt never good.

i used to live and breath these trucks. i was in high school, and was stuck wit ha 2.8 pwred s-10. always wanted a nice 350ss or 454ss. youres looks really nice. around here, well worth the 2500 bones you paid for it.

shame is, i just chunked a dealer book with your truck in it. i would been happy to ship it to you.

To clear up some misinformation on 454ss.

First built in 1990 these trucks were equipped with the 454 big block, three speed tranny, 14 bolt rear end with 3:73 gears, no tach. You could have any paint colour this year as long as it was black. In 1991 the truck was the same ( only available in black ) but the 4L80E was now the transmission of choice with 4:10 rear gears. The dash now included a tach.

1992/1993 other colours became available these were victory red and summit white.

Some of the things to look for in a real 454ss include N as 8th digit in VIN, different speedo ( higher MPH ), 14 bolt rear end, front bucket seats with center console.

I though the 1990 454SS's had the TH-400's & the 4.10 rear diff, but because of low sales and POOR MPG, the new auto with O/D and a 3.73 diff appeared in the 1991-93 454SS's. Then in 1992 & 1993 the white and red ext. colors were available as options, the newer style "SS" bed decals came out, & the new style dash gauges appeared (actual needles instead of the old "circle-style" gauges). ALL the 454SS years had the garnet red cloth buckets w/console...?

I know we are talking over a decade ago when these trucks rocked the streets, but am I correct on these stats??

Edited by Bad Bowtie (see edit history)

I though the 1990 454SS's had the TH-400's & the 4.10 rear diff, but because of low sales and POOR MPG, the new auto with O/D and a 3.73 diff appeared in the 1991-93 454SS's. Then in 1992 & 1993 the white and red ext. colors were available as options, the newer style "SS" bed decals came out, & the new style dash gauges appeared (actual needles instead of the old "circle-style" gauges). ALL the 454SS years had the garnet red cloth buckets w/console...?

I know we are talking over a decade ago when these trucks rocked the streets, but am I correct on these stats??

The 1990 454 did have the TH-400 but was equipped with the 3.73 diff. 1991-1993 had the 4L80E with the 4.10 diff.

The red interior was the only choice of colour in 1990 ( not sure on 1991 but think red also ) where the 1992-1993 had the colour choice which included grey and blue. Its thought the rarest 454ss would be a summit white with a blue interior.