1992- Silverado Ss Or Not?

lknspeed

post-15948-1214485105_thumb.jpgI recently bought a 1992 Silverado from the original owner. It is supposed to be a SS, but has a TBI350 under the hood. Truck is a 2wd shortbox, all black including grille and bumpers, maroon interior, bucket seats, gauge package, etc...and factory chrome wheels. (It is indentical to a SS454) The original owner took the decals off the box sides, but theres still a 'Chevrolet SS" decal on the lower RH side of the tailgate. I cant find any info on such a truck, built with a 350 under the hood. Ran a carfax report, and this IS the original engine. Is this something rare, or is it some kind of clone? Thanks for the help!!!

post-15948-1214485105_thumb.jpgI recently bought a 1992 Silverado from the original owner. It is supposed to be a SS, but has a TBI350 under the hood. Truck is a 2wd shortbox, all black including grille and bumpers, maroon interior, bucket seats, gauge package, etc...and factory chrome wheels. (It is indentical to a SS454) The original owner took the decals off the box sides, but theres still a 'Chevrolet SS" decal on the lower RH side of the tailgate. I cant find any info on such a truck, built with a 350 under the hood. Ran a carfax report, and this IS the original engine. Is this something rare, or is it some kind of clone? Thanks for the help!!!
It's a Sliverado Sport. They made the sport package that looked identical to the 454SS. Someone probably added the SS on the tailgate. They're nice trucks, but not really ultra rare or anything.

thanks for the info fellas! i got some replies to this on my 'intro' thread as well. Original owner is a friend, and swears it is a SS, but 'sport' is kinda what I figured. It definitely is NOT any type of performance package- just appearance. base 350, 700-r4 and 3.08 geared 10 bolt.

Detjoe/slicksilvie- funny you mention an engine swap- I own a speed shop and am just finishing up a new one. 360CI smallblock, ported Vortec heads, small comp cam, etc.... and hope to see 300hp/400tq on my dyno, and maybe a low 14 sec timeslip. Nothing crazy, as this is my daily driver. I have a street/strip 66 cutlass that runs in the 10s (on pump gas) if I want to haul the mail :P

post-15948-1214593285_thumb.jpg

I was with my buddy at the track a couple of weeks ago, he drives a 454SS truck, and he raced what we thought was another 454SS. He beat that other truck by several lengths, and we come to find out it is one of these Sport models with a 350. WE were like WTF??? They are not too quick though...

Still looks nice BTW. :thumbs: