Smoked Tails The Right Way Lol Imo

sprayed99

I tinted my tail and third brake light useing this method, what do you think? I am a little concerned about the lights not being bright enough though, any suggestions?

not bad i see ive started a rear spoiler fad lol those look nice

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay guys since some of you would like to know how to paint the lights with automotive paint heres a little how to get you going.

1. You must start with a set of lights that has no blemishes in them.

Products you will need

Grey scotch brite pad

PPG DX 330 wax and grease remover

tack cloth

Funnels (4-8)

stir sticks (2-3)

paint cups (2)

Proper reducer for temperature

PPG DBC 41U base coat (matches onyx black)

PPG DBC500

PPG 2021 Clearcoat with hardener or other high solids clear coat

PPG Adhesive promoter...or other quality substitute

Good quality paint gun (Sata is what I use)

Air compressor

Paint booth

Buffing supplies

2000-3000 grit paper

1. First clean off the lights with wax and grease remover to insure all contaminants are off of the lights. Then proceed to lightly scuff them with the Scothbrite pad.

2. After the shiny plastic has been scuffed to a dull finish place into paint area and then clean them again with wax and grease remover.

3.Now clean the lights off with the tack cloth to insure that all dust and lint are off of the lights, and proceed applying the adhesive promoter.

4. Now its time to mix some paint. I use 3oz. PPG DBC 500 clear blender and .25 of an oz. of black base coat. Then proceed to reduce this down with the proper amount of reducer.

5. apply base coat one thin coat at a time (waiting 10minutes in between coats for flash time) until desired color has been reached.

6. mix clear, hardener, and reducer (no more then 5oz for each set of lights) then proceed to clear(again waiting 10-15 minutes between coats for the reducer to flash) I usually apply 2-3 coats of clear so you have plenty of material to wetsand them out flat.

7. Allow to set up (I wait at least 24hours) and then wet sand them out flat using 2000-3000 grit paper

8. buff them out to a mirror finish and enjoy having a set of taillights that will out last your cars/trucks finish!!!!

I did my lights a lil dif i used the same stuff but i mixed clear and base as one and the more coats i put on it the darker it gets thats how i do it

• 2 months later...
I did my lights a lil dif i used the same stuff but i mixed clear and base as one and the more coats i put on it the darker it gets thats how i do it

I know it's been a while since the last post but it's also been a while since I've been on here. I think the guys at Chevy High Performance did this on a 3rd gen Camaro's taillights. It looked really good when they did it. I may try this when we get moved to our new house. Thanks for the write up. :cheers: