Tail Light Tinting

SSPOSSE

just gonna toss my 2 cents in here for what it's worth. I did my tails about 15 months ago using Nite Shades and rattle clear. I did 4 coats of tint and the reflectors still shine through with no issues at all. I also masked off the reverse lights before tinting and peeled the mask off before clearing.

to date, they still look great with no discoloring. the clear is an issue where it has faded but I don't have the yellowing or purpling that some have had.

However, I decided to go the LED route and smoke those with auto paint and clear. I just wanted a brighter light back there. Not sure what I'm gonna do with my smoked stockers once I get the new lights.

I did get a second set of stockers incase I had any issues with the police, but (knock on wood) I haven't been pulled over once for my lights and have had several local and state cruisers behind me.

BY THE WAY, excellent write up on this!! anytime someone takes the time to do a How-to it's a great thing. be sure to let us know how that 2 stage clear works.

:cheers:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just gonna toss my 2 cents in here for what it's worth. I did my tails about 15 months ago using Nite Shades and rattle clear. I did 4 coats of tint and the reflectors still shine through with no issues at all. I also masked off the reverse lights before tinting and peeled the mask off before clearing.

to date, they still look great with no discoloring. the clear is an issue where it has faded but I don't have the yellowing or purpling that some have had.

However, I decided to go the LED route and smoke those with auto paint and clear. I just wanted a brighter light back there. Not sure what I'm gonna do with my smoked stockers once I get the new lights.

I did get a second set of stockers incase I had any issues with the police, but (knock on wood) I haven't been pulled over once for my lights and have had several local and state cruisers behind me.

BY THE WAY, excellent write up on this!! anytime someone takes the time to do a How-to it's a great thing. be sure to let us know how that 2 stage clear works.

:cheers:

I will let you know for sure how it works out.. thanks for the comment.. love mine.. it was cleared with 2 coats of ppg high quality clear, feel into that deal, so they turned out looking like glass.. i have better pics on our myspace club page... http://www.myspace.com/centraliowass check them out sometime.. we have a good time just getting together and knocking out 2-3 mods on about everybodies SS's that shows up.. pretty active here in DSM.. fact we are hitting the a Hooter's show tomorrow.. pics will be on the club site.. was going to do the led route and my ipcw's got a short in them.. might be pulling them apart and see what i can do with the leds.. sucks, but iam glad they went down when they did, would have been pissed if it did it after i smoked them.. leds would look great, got any pics???..

Edited by DSM04BLACKSS (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
holly smokes !! i work nights, so i got off this am (wed) and read some emails checked the forum, then went home and went to bed for the day.. get up around 7, eat go to work and read all the stuff that went on today.. WOW, was not expecting this much response.. not mad at no one, was frustrated maybe when i written a few comments from work.. but all and all we are driving the best damn truck out there !!! right guys ??

SS BOYS FOR LIFE !! just like BAD BOYS FOR LIFE !! lolol Man i need a beer for reading all that i missed while i was sleeping..

thats what i thought you had on there for the tailgate and rail covers.. that is the set up i would like to get.. does that work with a roll up cover ?? i know a tono hard shell would not work beacause of the lip on the back and also why spend it if its going to cover the rails with a hard tonno. i have some rail markings from the other owners cover they have and the iam going to spend the money on the rail covers rather than getting anywork on the paint that got marred from the guy before..hell the truck only had 10k when i got it..it has 23k now and still a virgin in a sense.. get crap beacuse i have the lift kit in it (stock hght) anyway, thanks to everybodies response.. we do have the best forum out there and everybody wants to help..

they say it will work witht the role up cover you just have to do some modifying

Since the ranting is over I have a question. When using automotive paint, does it allow the same amount of light thru? I just did my third brake light with model spray and have yet to clear them because I just sprayed them yesterday. I know that "painting" will give you the cleanest look, but I don't think you can thin it enough to let the proper (DOT LEGAL) amount of light through.

Yes, they let light trew. Just add 1-3 (depending on how much clear you have) drops of black to your clear, very little and do thin coats and work your way to the darkness you want.

They said to thin the basecoat, not to add black to the clear. I used to work in the paint industry and can tell you that if your adding anything other than pearl to the clear you will have problems. I'm with the other guys in that I think it's a problem with their clear coats fading, changing colors, etc. I'm going to finish it the way I started and see how this turn out after six months if I don't have problem I'll do the tails.

They said to thin the basecoat, not to add black to the clear. I used to work in the paint industry and can tell you that if your adding anything other than pearl to the clear you will have problems. I'm with the other guys in that I think it's a problem with their clear coats fading, changing colors, etc. I'm going to finish it the way I started and see how this turn out after six months if I don't have problem I'll do the tails.

sweet, iam doing mine this weekend also.. third brake light and then i believe we are going to try out the two part clear in the rattle can on a set of tails to see how that works.. trying to find a cost effect method and mine have turneded out great with the vht shades comments galore.. as long as your happy with the results thats all that maters.. right ??

sweet, iam doing mine this weekend also.. third brake light and then i believe we are going to try out the two part clear in the rattle can on a set of tails to see how that works.. trying to find a cost effect method and mine have turneded out great with the vht shades comments galore.. as long as your happy with the results thats all that maters.. right ??

Yeah, and I'll be going with LED's all around soon anyway. So if I screw it up royaly it'll give me justification for buying the LED's.

Who is the MFG. of that two part clear.