Tail Light Tinting

SSPOSSE

I know this topic has been out there, but i did some research and found out why everybody was having all the problems.. just completed mine and here is my take on this topic, hope it goes well..

items needed :

1 Pair of tail lights

1 - 2 cans of VHT Shades spray

1-2 pieces of Scotch brite pad, 800 - 1000 grit sand paper (your choice)

1- can of two part spray clear or body shop to spray the clear.

1 - set of back up tailights to run with until the process is done

- some tape

lots of patience and the ability to not rush it..

started out with a pair of 2003 tailights i had gotten from allbalz (my truck came without factory tails and it is a 2004) no biggey , you can use any other tailight that needs done.. concept the same..

headliner108.jpg

headliner109.jpg

need to take some tape and cover the holes in back to prevent over spray or dust to enter the back of the taillight.

started out with the scotch pad and scuffed whole tail light, be sure to get the edges and on the back side top and sides.. pic does not show you very well. but you just need to scuff the surface and get the shine off from top to bottom and edge to edge..

headliner112.jpg

headliner113.jpg

headliner114.jpg

headliner115.jpg

next i used a cleaning wipe, for life of me i can not read or remember the name of it.. make sure you get all edges and surface free of dust..

headliner116.jpg

next i used the VHT Shades spray and started with flipping the taillight on the front and getting the back edges a few times, so no red would be poping out from other angles.. couple of lite coats to take the red out a little.. you have to take light coats because this stuff is very thin and not thick like paint.. so make sure you make even strokes accross and not try to paint it like it was fence.. alittle goes a long way.. keep spraying coats one at a time and let it dry, then apply another one until desired darkness.. it seemed like it snuck up on me and boom its dark.. so take your time.. let them set.. as you can see i hope in the pictures. each coat it got darker...

headliner118.jpg

headliner120.jpg

headliner122.jpg

headliner128.jpg

headliner129.jpg

with help of fast4popper we applied about 2-3 coats, possbile 4. so its important to let it dry and then apply another. I was shocked that it did not take that long to dry for the next coat.. we kinda lost track while doing other projects at the same time..

its going to give you that orange peel look and feel, don't wet sand yet.. wait till you applied the clear coat..

heres where the problem everybody has been running into.. the best product is of course is from a body shop spraying it.. there is no spray can clear that has uv protectant in it, thats why everybody is having the issues of the clear wearing down after time or there is yellowing issues over period of time in sun.. you need a two part clear.. i had mine sprayed thru a body shop using a high qaulity spray. but thru some research thru a body shop supply store and yttaf we found there is a two part aerosol.. we found it online and ordered a can.. we will be trying it out coming soon and post the results.. from the body shop supply store they gave great reviews.. problem is that one you activate the hardner in the can, you have to use it up or the can goes to waste.

ok, back to the tails.. after you have sprayed the tails with clear, you can polish it up, several times to get the orange peel look out and to bring that high luster of clear to shine..

here are some final pics.. i will be posting more on this forum as i find my other pics.. i apoligize for not having them all ready like i thought..

IMAG0073.jpg

IMAG0074.jpg

IMAG0075.jpg

hope this helps, as i get the spray clear info i will post it..iam sure yttaf can help me here.. the VHT spray was purchased thru Jegs, could not find it any where local, cheap and fast shipping.. more pics to come, check back..

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

if i recall it does let the reflectors still appear thru.. when light hite them.. will confirm and get back with you..

as far as the base coat and clear coat, not sure on the base coat.. as long the clear is a two part clear, that has the hardener to help it fight against UV rays and the wear and tear of the life of a tail light goes thru..

mine got sprayed at a body shop while fast4poppers tono was being repainted, roughly about 35 - 40 to have it cleared.. going to try this two part clear, it comes in an aerosol can.. you push in on a pin and it punctures the inside can of hardener releasing it into the clear.. then you just shake it up as normal and spray.. but the bad side of it is that once you start and mix the two you have to use it up or the rest goes to waste.. i think the price was 20 bucks a can.. one of the best mods i have done.. love it.. just need to murder out the headlights..

the base coat can be used but it need to be thinned down alot in order to make it transparent otherwise your tails would just be black & not let any light shine through.

Yes the night shades does let the reflector shine through when light hits it as shown in this picture!

headliner128.jpg

woh woh woh....dont take this as an attack. If you want the finish and color to last and also match your truck use automotive paint...You need to do some research...the VHT turns purple after a lot of sun exposer. I have been perfecting this method and ask around to other members here about how they turn out.......you wont find anything nicer I assure you.

they are just a set of tail lights, if it does turn purple, then i will just buy another set.. could not stand the red stanfing out like a sore thumb on a black truck.. is the purple being caused by not having a good clear coat used ????????? i guess we will see in 6 months to a year.. really not worried about it..

they are just a set of tail lights, if it does turn purple, then i will just buy another set.. could not stand the red stanfing out like a sore thumb on a black truck.. is the purple being caused by not having a good clear coat used ????????? i guess we will see in 6 months to a year.. really not worried about it..

wow i dont know where your from but you cant find any used 04 and up light because every body wants them even the dealer raised their prices on new ones and good luck finding any in stock. This is a good write up but :withstupid: on using automotive paint for a quality long lasting product plus the paint lays down smoother and there is little or no orange peel. good luck with your lights

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg

live in good ol Des Moines Iowa, not a problem around here finding them.. the body shop supply store that i deal with can get the oe replacements, identical.. does not say GM on them, but who cares, they look great and since when do we see GM on it except on the back side.. i believe they are 60.00 a piece. 03. and 04 on up with the dark stripe on the edges.. this write up was just for the average joe, that did not have access to body shop to spay the automotive paint on, or spend alot and was an easy mod.. geez did not know everybody was going to be so critical about it or acuse me of not doing any research, didn't see any body say on any of the write ups they had a problem with the VHT SHADES, even on the LS1 site they talked it up.. the only problem i saw that was addressed was the clear coat.. SO IF OFFENED SOMEONE OR MISREPRENTED SOME THING !! SORRY.. I love the look it gave the SS and have gotten great response from local SS guys in my area.. if there is better way speak out.. lets hear it .. would love to hear the steps involved in the auto, paint method and what a guy would look at in price and time..

oh by the way i love that rail and tailgate cover, is that the street scences set,, and can you run with a roll up cover on there with that wing ?? truck looks good.. what rol pan is that

Rich your tails look GREAT! and for the price, they look even better. there was nothing like them 2 coats of PPG clear to smooth them out like glass once John was done working his magic with the polish wheel. IF they do happen to fade, it just will take an afternoon of stripping and repainting, but i dont see them fading anytime soon, if they do, well then so be it.

the great thing about this site is that someone always has a better way, a faster truck, a louder stereo, a better interior, or phatter brakes. but you know what? its yours, it looks GREAT and you enjoy it. thats ALL that matters in the end. Keep up the great work man, its coming along nicely!!

Also, who cares who you pi$$ off. dont worry bout what others think, shoot some people hate my truck, but i look at it as jealousy. its mine and i love driving it everyday even if it means pi$$ing others off!

:pepsicheer: