L76 Questions

i have a 2007 vortec max with the L76 engine. has anyone done any mods to that particular engine? does anyone know if a cam is going to conflict with the VVT? if so should i just go with L92 heads and keep the same cam or should i go with 1.8 rocker arms. Does the L76 have the stronger main rods like the LQ9. i would think so, but haven't found it online yet. i have a K&N intake, Superchip, dynatech headers and high flow cats, and 10 series flowmasters. i am currently deployed and haven't put these parts on yet so i am also wondering if anyone has modified the L76 yet, what they did, and how much horsepower and torque are you gaining. i have been told that i need to go with a custom program and probably will when i get back, but this will work for now until i get done modding it. thanks.

The L92 heads are the same as your L76 heads. To run an aftermarket cam, you will need to get rid of the VVT and turn off the V4 capabilities in the tune. You will also need to run a new set of standard gen III or IV roller lifters because your stock ones will collapse. Also, you may need to plug the oil galley hole that has the VVT thingie in it, you might call Scoggin Dickey to be sure since they build stroker 6.2 blocks for non-VVT use.

1.8 rockers, are they out yet for your series of heads? I've seen a couple of sets of "beta" sets for testing, but I haven't seen any released to the public yet.

I really wouldn't worry about rod strength unless you get over 9+ pounds of boost or spin over 6800 RPM. Even then, you can add ARP rod bolts and improve the RPM capability of the stock rods.

i am not sure if you are suggesting that i have a 6.2 or if scoggin dickey does work on 6.2 liters. I have an L76. that is a 6.0 not a 6.2 liter. I am not positive, i am still reading on it, but i believe that the L92 heads come on the 6.2, but they aren't on my engine unless i am mistaken. thanks for the information. i will definitely look up some more things. does anyone else have any good info. does anyone know if the vvt is electronically controlled or mechanical and can it be shut off that way. thank you.

i am not sure if you are suggesting that i have a 6.2 or if scoggin dickey does work on 6.2 liters. I have an L76. that is a 6.0 not a 6.2 liter. I am not positive, i am still reading on it, but i believe that the L92 heads come on the 6.2, but they aren't on my engine unless i am mistaken. thanks for the information. i will definitely look up some more things. does anyone else have any good info. does anyone know if the vvt is electronically controlled or mechanical and can it be shut off that way. thank you.

Hum, I didn't know they were calling the new Vortec Max engine an L76. Originally the L76 was the Holden 6.0 liter with the same L76/L92/LS3 heads.

The VVT is controlled via the PCM, but it needs mechanical changes as well in order to run an aftermarket cam.

From searching the net, you may also need to run a non-VVT oil pump, but I'm not sure why as the oil pressure is the same, only volume would change I would think...

Someone on the net also said it requires an LS2 front cover to eliminate the VVT. I think that's because there's a hole in the front where the VVT pokes through, is that correct? I can't remember for sure.

i don't know anything about the oil port in the front cover. i noticed before i deployed that my truck was a bit sluggish in stock form until you hit about 4000 rpm and then you could feel the power kick in. i am guessing that this was the vvt now. i hope that with a programmer i can change the timing a bit earlier than that. well the L92 heads come on the new 6.2 liter i believe and i know that engine has vvt so i might be able to get away with keeping the same cam and just go with the L92 heads so i don't have mess with all of that other stuff. mine is a daily driver and i am not trying to race it every weekend or anything. it is going have 33's on it anyway. i have been looking at a few LS2 forums to see the gains that they are getting with the heads and they seem to be pretty good and you can pick them up from the dealership completely assembled for under a 1000 dollars. i would probably change the rods, springs, and put titanium retainers while i had it out just to make sure everything was going to work well together. do you have any other suggestions for extra horsepower. thanks

the L76 has VVT and DOD. i don't know if the 6.2 has DOD but i know it has VVT, so my question is am i going to run into conflict with putting L92 heads on my L76 engine. i know that the L76 intake is a very good intake and that it bolts up and works very well with the L92 heads, but i don't know if the engine is going to like the bigger valves with VVT or DOD.

• 2 weeks later...
the L76 has VVT and DOD. i don't know if the 6.2 has DOD but i know it has VVT, so my question is am i going to run into conflict with putting L92 heads on my L76 engine. i know that the L76 intake is a very good intake and that it bolts up and works very well with the L92 heads, but i don't know if the engine is going to like the bigger valves with VVT or DOD.

Your truck shouldnt be a L76 the L76 as said above is a holden engine and only came is the GTO. Is it an all aluminum engine?