Hi beam conversion kit

cokedrvrbjw

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the help guys. I found an old junctionblock from a LX470 that had a diode on the back of it. I wired up a little harness and plugged it in. It worked great except when the low beam was on, both headlights were powered up... I looked at the diode diagram and it was labeled wrong, so I took it apart and checked with a meter and sure enough it was labelded wrong from the factory, so I switched the terminals and everything works like a charm!!! I guess that is what I get from using JAP CRAP on a Chevy!!! The pictured diagram of the fuse / relay panel was great!!!

• 9 months later...
I just used the Painless wiring kit for $40.  With an added relay and fuse, it should not set any codes (a separate relay energizes the lows, when the highs are turned on) and it is more isolated than a diode.

Rick R

I don't really see the use to add a relay and fuse, when just sending a close signal to a relay.

I guess some guys overhere don't really know the function of all pins on a relay.

a relay is just an electronic switch, which gives you several possibilities, depending on the type of relay you use.

the most basic relay has 4 pins. pin 85 and 86 for the switching procedure where pin 85 gets the positive signal from whereever, and pin 86 leads to the ground.

Then pin 30 is connected, if possibly via a fuse, to the batterij. Pin 87 leads to the device.

That's about it. The only thing you do with this setup, is when switching the high beams on, over the relay, you also send a close signal to the lowbeams, so they will also be on.

Because of the diode, power can't run back from low to high.

So I don't see any need to add extra devices then just some wire, a diode and crimping tools.

Pascal

As I only got my truck yesterday evening, I didn't have the time yet to investigate the electrical wiring.

I will be spending some time about this tomorrow, as I have to create a European traillering wiring, and we are obliged to have a rear red fog light.

At the moment the dealer did this my removing the right lowest bulb, and placed a more powerfull bulb in the left holder. Then they putted an extra switch at the steering wheel.

But I'm not quite convinced with this way of working, so I'll delete that setup, and I'll do it differently. I was thinking of putting a 3th brake light with leds above the rear bumper, in the center, and connecting that to the switch.

Invisible when off, but very clear when foggy weather..

Pascal

• 8 months later...

I did the Mod to my truck yesterday. Wow! It really made a big difference. I just had to solder a short piece of wire to the diode to get it to reach between the two relays. I see that there is a reflector on the low beam bulb...can this be removed to make the low beams brighter? Anyhow thanks for this great low buck mod. Later

Dave

Here is two ways to do it...the one for the fuse box imo is easier...47155399.jpg

47155381.jpg:thumbs:

I just tried this mod and when i turn on the high beams the lows go out and the high beams come on and the daytime running lights come on. I double checked the wires and i did it according to the pic above. Does this work on all years mine is an 04. :dunno:

Here is two ways to do it...the one for the fuse box imo is easier...47155399.jpg

47155381.jpg:thumbs:

I just tried this mod and when i turn on the high beams the lows go out and the high beams come on and the daytime running lights come on. I double checked the wires and i did it according to the pic above. Does this work on all years mine is an 04. :dunno:

Make sure the relays are properly oriented. When I pulled mine they were turned around. If you look at the lid the 85 terminal is in the lower right corner of the relay...they must go in like that. If they are turned around it won't work right. (They will fit back in either way)

Dave

• 1 month later...

Ok I did this mod and it works great. My 1st attempt I had the drls on with the highbeams instead of the low beams. After staring at the relays I realized I hooked it up to the drl relay instead of the low beam relay. Can we do both the drl's and the lows.

i don't see why not. just put another diode going to the drl in the opposite direction and you should be fine.

Ok I did this mod and it works great. My 1st attempt I had the drls on with the highbeams instead of the low beams. After staring at the relays I realized I hooked it up to the drl relay instead of the low beam relay. Can we do both the drl's and the lows.

• 3 weeks later...

I did it just like the picture shows and worked great. It really helps around here in KS/MO because we have a lot of deer around and at night, it's a real problem when one runs out in front on you. Pin 85 to Pin 85 on the relays and wahlah. I did solder two diodes together because I wasn't sure of teh size that I had. It works, I can see and it was free to me.

Brian

Archived