Gm Truck Electric Fans

misterp

Do these flow more cfm than the gm fans?

we havent put them side by side but this unit is keeping the truck cooler than the gm units do. not to mention it is the lowest profile kit on the market.

:withstupid: I do not know the rated flow of the GM 2005+ Silverado EFans, however they use smaller diameter fans, maybe 14-15"??? Airflow is not the issue as 4100-CFM is plenty of air to keep the truck cool under 35-MPH and the problem is the radiator itself, the truck only has a single-core aluminum radiator and you can blow like hell across it and it still will only shed so much heat from the coolant back to the atmosphere - Dan and I have been investigating potential radiator upgrades.

Once the truck is moving faster than 40-mph, the wind rush through the grill is FAR more powerful than ANY fan - if you are running hot over 40-mph then the issue is NOT the fan, it's obstruction or insufficient radiator.

The only situation that I forsee these fans not being able to cool an engine is extended maximum-effort towing at very low speed, like pulling an extremely heavy trailer on a very long grade WOT at under 35-MPH, and if this is a situation your truck must handle then I would strongly recommend a radiator with much more cooling capacity.

Another major issue that affects cooling is adding a transmission cooler or supercharger intercooler ahead of the radiator, for several reasons. First the air must be pulled through 4-6 inches of cooling cores rather than just the A/C and radiator alone (2.5 inches max) so there is pressure drop there, and even worse the heat from the transmission cooler or extra intercooler is preheating the air coming across the radiator.

The truck that these fans is being developed on (mine!) is using a Tru-Cool Max transmission cooler installed ahead of the factory A/C condensor and radiator, and so far in 90-degree temps the dash gauge has not moved and farther than the 185-mark, the truck averages a consistent 180-ish coolant temperature and I have perceptively colder A/C when the fans kick in.

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DELCO 145A ALTERNATOR UPGRADE -

The 140-amp Delco alternator is made with several different styles of electrical connectors, make sure you get one that is correct for your truck - for GM trucks 2004 and older you want the 145-amp Delco alternator and accessory belt off of a 2003-2004 Z71 Tahoe. I saw a stock of these factory alternators being sold by Lingenfelter for $100 but it now appears they are all sold out, we're still searching for an affordable solution here. Remember that this new alternator will require an accessory drive belt that is longer than your original one.

Mr. P.

DELCO 145A ALTERNATOR UPGRADE -

The 140-amp Delco alternator is made with several different styles of electrical connectors, make sure you get one that is correct for your truck - for GM trucks 2004 and older you want the 145-amp Delco alternator and accessory belt off of a 2003-2004 Z71 Tahoe. I saw a stock of these factory alternators being sold by Lingenfelter for $100 but it now appears they are all sold out, we're still searching for an affordable solution here. Remember that this new alternator will require an accessory drive belt that is longer than your original one.

Mr. P.

i got an alt of an 06 tbss and is was a plug and play...fyi

how much would the mount take away from the stock mount, would be sweet if you guys also had a mount that was cut out to house the stock e fans if significant enough.

Sorry Alan but I don't understand your question.

inches from crank pulley to fans. sorry didn't specify. utilizing stock e fans and your mount (cut-out to fit stock fans)

He wants to use the GM fans on the flat aluminum shroud; the shround is designed for the SPAL fans, it's both formed and punched in a single press operation, so it is not feasible to make ones without the fan holes.

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

He wants to use the GM fans on our flat aluminum shroud. No the shround is custom-punched for the SPAL fans, and frankly there is no reason to use the GM fans unless you already own a pair and just want to customize the shroud.

Mr. P.

thats what i thought, just wanted to see if the difference was significant enough to change, an inch is an inch to those who need it.

thats what i thought, just wanted to see if the difference was significant enough to change, an inch is an inch to those who need it.

Sorry to be blunt Alan but if you want more clearance buy this kit. We have too much time into this to make oneoff kits for individuals...I hope you understand.

Edited by sprayed99 (see edit history)

Sorry to be blunt Alan but if you want more clearance buy this kit. We have too much time into this to make oneoff kits for individuals...I hope you understand.

i actually have no interest, im just asking questions that may help others. i understand

Edited by WODY (see edit history)