Silverado SS problems

leupy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as far as any real serious problems i dont have many except the one i took my truck in for today. i kept hearing a "thunk thunk thunk" every time i'd turn right that was getting worse and i could feel it under my feet and in the steering wheel. they just had to lube the intermediate drive shaft and told me it was "a common ss problem". other than the few weird noises here and there my rearview mirror seems to lose its place a lot...

Where do I start, For Sale sign may be an option...

Getting used to we don't know what to do or i'ts normal

:fume: Low speed Transfer case groan, slow turns

still nothing done or attempted,

:fume::fume: Problem with Trans not engaging when taking off from dead stop

when it does, feels like someone rammed into to the rear

still nothing done or attempted

:sick: Horn sounds like PeeWee Herman clearing his throat yeeeeeee-ucchhhh

will find out this week what they will do

:sick: Buzzing noise from pass/side tweeter driving on highway

:sick: Fuel pump very noisy, Maybe should put lemon juice

:sick: Fuel economy(what fuel economy) 10. M.P.G.

It's normal, but it still sucks...

Anyone know where to get 3 feet X 4 feet lemon decals///

Dr Mike :sigh:

Hey Dr. Mike,

Get ahold of Zippy via PM or the "build date" post and find out when your truck was built. Send him the last eight digits of the VIN number. He'll send you the date, then you can find out what day it was made on last years calendar. (My guess is it was made on a Monday or Friday). He may be able to find out for you if there were any problems in the build of your SS.

Good luck,

SuperDave :thumbs:

Well...I was washing my truck yesterday, and as I started to detail my wheels to remove any overspray from the tire dressing I applied, I was shocked to see that the paint/clear coat on my factory rims has begun to flake and chip off around the inner diameter of the very outside lip next to the tire! :eek: I couldn't believe it! I have ABSOLUTELY not caught a rim on a curb or anything else abrasive. As proof, there are no discernible scratches on the wheel edges or anywhere else near the 2-3 areas on each wheel (3 total with problem) where this is happening. This truck has less than 3k miles and I have NEVER used anything but Armor-All Tire Foam enywhere near the wheels. No Westley's, no Brake dust or caustic "tire cleaner", nothing at all. Also, in a few small areas, you can see where the paint is "scalloped" near the wheel edge, but has not yet completely come off. The areas are about 1/4 inch in depth by approx. 3/8 in length, all longitudinal with the circular edge of the wheel. Has anyone else experienced this?!!! :fume:

At 5000 miles, I have had the following:

- Front left axle/shock squeak right off the showroom floor (& they would not fix it the day I bought it). Had to bring it back to repair.

- Bad rear passenger window lever (would not close all of the way). They replaced entire window.

- Transmission downshifts to 1st too soon on some occassions on hard acceleration and fails to shift from 3rd to 2nd around town when I need the extra torque. Maybe PCMs for less program can alleviate.

- Loud popping exhaust sections on cool-down.

- Some uneven lines in body panels.

- Unexpected surface rust/corrosion on driveline and some suspension hardware (don't they paint anything anymore?)

- 13 mpg city, 17 mpg highway at 70mph, 15.5 mpg at 80 mph.

- I just hope the common 1996 Impala SS problem of shorting kapton insulated wires in the gas tank does not happen on the Silverado!

forgot to mention that both of my windows squeak HORRIBLY going down or up, and my transmission seems to slip a LOT tho they say they cant find anything wrong with it...gonna take that back in soon and make em keep it til they find out how to fix it.

forgot to mention that both of my windows squeak HORRIBLY going down or up, and my transmission seems to slip a LOT tho they say they cant find anything wrong with it...gonna take that back in soon and make em keep it til they find out how to fix it.

You need to get a shift kit installed. That will take out any looseness, if that's a word, that you have. It will shift 10x better also.