Silverado SS problems

leupy

"Finally, 80% of the time on startup (warm only) I have about a half second of REAL nasty sounding pre-ignition (engine knock)" posted by novanet

I have the same thing!

Thanks for the reply vdrumright and supraman! You guys are a credit to the forum! :thumbs:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing that I have had done under warranty is having the entire truck wet sanded and buffed. It looks really awesome. I have looked at a lot of GM vehicles and almost all of them including vettes have orange peel. The service manager where I bought the truck said that it was normal and that the only reason he approved it is because it is a "limited production vehicle." I took it to 2 other dealers and they where not willing to do anything about it, they said it was normal. I tell you one thing...It is as slick as glass now!

The only thing that I have had done under warranty is having the entire truck wet sanded and buffed. It looks really awesome. I have looked at a lot of GM vehicles and almost all of them including vettes have orange peel. The service manager where I bought the truck said that it was normal and that the only reason he approved it is because it is a "limited production vehicle." I took it to 2 other dealers and they where not willing to do anything about it, they said it was normal. I tell you one thing...It is as slick as glass now!

Heeeeyyyy, I like that Idea......I too have noticed the same thing, but never thought about getting anything done about it.

If you look at the heated seat switches, you can turn on the bottom AND back or JUST the BACK. There is no way to turn on the bottom only. I think the people who think the bottom isn't working have the back only turned on. The rear part of the switch turns on the back only. the front part turns on the BOTH. Try it you will see what I mean.

If you are confused,look at the little book in the glove box!!

:withstupid:

Took me a while to figure this out, the buttons are a little illogical.

Orange peel (and I'm by no means an expert painter) is the little circles that you see on in the paint (looks almost like an orange peels texture). Someone said that it's on almost all the GM vehicles, and I saw a lot of it on everything on the lot.

When I was looking for the SS, my brother was with me (he welds, paints, etc) and he kept on pointing it out to me. Even a Z06 they had in the showroom had orange peel on it. My brother thinks that it's because GM uses robots to paint the vehicles, but I haven't found any confirmation of that.

Having the dealer wet sand and buff the truck sounds awesome, I'll have to see if the dealer here will do that. I don't notice it too much until when you look at the side of the truck at a reflection of something and see it's all obscured and pixelated almost. But, if they'll do it under warranty, then no difference! :cheers:

-Leupy

Hi guys,

- The knocking sound at startup could be the infamous GM piston slap.

- Fixed my own - passenger door rattle, wind noise around doors, wind noise pass rear window

- I have a squealing alternator bearing too

supraman said...

4)Every once in a while at starting at 5K I have a HUGE power loss!

Do you mean the engine power drops at ~5000rpm? Does this happen from a dead stop? Or when you floor it and downshift from a roll? It could be torque reduction or the traction control system...

:cheers:

i talked to the body shop guy at the dealer i bought my truck at and he said that regarding the orange peel...they could sand and buff it out but i would have to pay a little bit - becuase you are supposed to get it done within six months of purchase...but he is willing to cut me a deal...so as soon as the snow is all gone i am going to get mine done...that and they are going to straighten the emblems out...

Hi guys,

- The knocking sound at startup could be the infamous GM piston slap.

- Fixed my own - passenger door rattle, wind noise around doors, wind noise pass rear window

- I have a squealing alternator bearing too

supraman said...

4)Every once in a while at starting at 5K I have a HUGE power loss!

Do you mean the engine power drops at ~5000rpm? Does this happen from a dead stop? Or when you floor it and downshift from a roll? It could be torque reduction or the traction control system...

:cheers:

From 5 to redline from a roll in any gear it feels like a 5000lb tralier is getting hooked up......still loud still reving, but feels like something is holding it back...no missing or knocking

Orange peel (and I'm by no means an expert painter) is the little circles that you see on in the paint (looks almost like an orange peels texture). Someone said that it's on almost all the GM vehicles, and I saw a lot of it on everything on the lot.

Having the dealer wet sand and buff the truck sounds awesome, I'll have to see if the dealer here will do that. I don't notice it too much until when you look at the side of the truck at a reflection of something and see it's all obscured and pixelated almost. But, if they'll do it under warranty, then no difference! :cheers:

-Leupy

Orange peel is an unavoidable side effect due to the method of application. Most of the time people don't worry about orange peel, it is just accepted. All show car paint jobs have it, they just perform another step before the finished product is revealed. After the paint has been baked on, in either a single stage or base coat application, the paint is color sanded with progressively finer grits of wetsanding. Usually starting with 400 and ending up with 1000 grit, sometimes 1500 grit, and then polished with a high speed (1700 to 2200 rpm) foam buffing wheel to produce the finish shine and texture, which I might offer is smoother than the ass of a newborn!

In a basecoat paint job the color coats receive the sanding, and after the clear is shot and baked they are buffed. A real pro will take the time to 2000 grit wetsand the entire clear coat and polish it with a high speed buffer also.

This is a very labor intensive and painstaking process and costs are extremely high. That's why most daily driver vehicles have to settle for orange peel in their paint. Simple huh? :pop:

P. S. - Try a good hand washing first followed by the clay bar treatment then see if you still need buffing. My SS was covered with tree sap and fallout when new, I thought it was textured at the factory for a minute! Clay baring the truck took it all out. I have used all different kinds of clay bar, and the best is Clay Magic brand. The clay lube seems to work better with the clay. And most body shops in my area swear by it.

SuperDave

Hi guys,

Deezel,

What did you do to fix your noisy passenger rear window? I just got mine back from the dealer (overnight stay) which they claim the entire window assembly was changed. NOT ! ! It still produces a hell of a lot of wind noise. I'm pretty pissed about it. Trying to calm down before I call them back tomorrow. :fume: