Silverado SS problems

leupy

I noticed that there wasn't any posts about Silverado SS problems that anyone has had. My 2004 presented me with a cracked front Chevy emblem and a bad driver side shock. The shock caused some serious squeaking. I had both items replaced under warranty (they were somewhat reluctant about the emblem). I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with their SS at all. It feels like my driver side heated leather seat is having some issues too with the heating. The back of the seat is a fireball, but the seat itself gets luke warm. I'm planning another trip to the dealer about that one too...warranties are nice!

Anyway, just wanted to start this topic and see if anyone else had some issues...

-Leupy

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, let me start out by saying that I LOVE my truck! But...there have been a few "incidents". For starters, a metal piece broke off of one side of the bottom of the drivers side windshield wiper, and in the process scratched the hell out of the plastic cowl piece below the windshield while "wiping". End result, new wiper arm and cowl piece. (yes warranties are wonderful!) :chevy: Next, I'm not too happy with the "rippled" door cladding issue a lot of us have been experiencing. I don't think I want to go to the trouble to have them replace it, especially if it is just a design defect and the new pieces will do the same thing...I'm still considering my options. Finally, 80% of the time on startup (warm only) I have about a half second of REAL nasty sounding pre-ignition (engine knock). I grit my teeth every time it happens. Had it to the dealer and they said that they couldn't duplicate the problem! This, I AM concerned about. Looking for solutions BTW if anyone reads this... In any event, it's still an awesome truck, but the experience so far hasn't been entirely worry free. Oh and by the way, you could fry eggs on my seatback also, and the bottom of the seat is only half as hot. Maybe this is normal ARRGGHH! I swear the little things can sometimes drive you crazy! :confused:

I noticed that there wasn't any posts about Silverado SS problems that anyone has had.

Somebody needs to find the search button, if you really think there hasn't been any threads about problems. Numerous have had the same squeaky shock problem you have had.

I noticed the same thing with my heated seats, until one day i had just the bottom on. It got very hot, the same as the back. But then, when switching the back rest on with it, the bottom suddenly cooled, warm, but noticeably less. Switching to the bottom only again got the bottom very hot. Weird. Anyone try this?

If you look at the heated seat switches, you can turn on the bottom AND back or JUST the BACK. There is no way to turn on the bottom only. I think the people who think the bottom isn't working have the back only turned on. The rear part of the switch turns on the back only. the front part turns on the BOTH. Try it you will see what I mean.

If you are confused,look at the little book in the glove box!!

Edited by AUTOGUY (see edit history)

Finally, 80% of the time on startup (warm only) I have about a half second of REAL nasty sounding pre-ignition (engine knock). I grit my teeth every time it happens. Had it to the dealer and they said that they couldn't duplicate the problem! This, I AM concerned about.

On my 2000 Silverado I had the same knocking noise for a few seconds. The Chevy dealer I took it to said all of them have this and it is normal. Have yet to hear it from my SS, but I can't believe that this would be normal.

my cruise has been acting weird lately.... sometimes when I'm on cruise and I push to accelerate the truck will jerk and then the cruise shuts off. push it again and the same thing. I've had it happen quite a few times now :sigh:

Also had it happen where I got out of the truck taking the keys and the damn bell wouldn't stop ringing like I had left the keys in or something :uhoh: stood outside the truck and it never shut off. put the keys back in and out and then it shut off. had this happen 2 or 3 times now.

I thought the same thing about the seats, but I guess I didn't realize pushing the back warmer turned off the ass warmer.

I checked the search on problems, and I got about 12 categories on different problems, including the rant between Dodge and SSS. I'm sorry for being a newbie and not having a legal post saying that there are some categories speaking of problems, but I just wanted to know if anyone had any issues with the SS or not.

I believe that the two button thing on the leather heater is one setting for the back, and 3 settings for the base seat. If that's not the case, then that would explain why one is hot and one is luke warm. In either case, the "no warm base seat" was with both buttons on (1 orange and 3 orange).

I also have the door ripple problem. I was hoping that was a factory thing, and hopefully it'll work itself out (when I bought it, there was 6" of snow in PA).

Unrelated question though, this being my first vehicle with leather seats, what do you guys recommend as far as leather cleaners and moisturizers? I'd hate to waste two perfectly good seats because I'm new. lol Does anyone have actual prices they've paid for spray in bedliners?

I think it's awesome whomever started this site, and that most of you own or are soon to be in ownership of an SS. Again, my apologies for saying that there wasn't any threads that had SS problems...you guys post a lot!

-Leupy

Edited by leupy (see edit history)

leupy,

There are a select very few are here that suffer from power trips and love to jump on newbies at any chance they get to look :cool: I guess...it is usually more annoying the the silly easy to find question(not yours). I have really never had any luck with the search button either.

BTW...welcome

"Finally, 80% of the time on startup (warm only) I have about a half second of REAL nasty sounding pre-ignition (engine knock)" posted by novanet

I have the same thing!

2)My wiper module went bad...wipers would not turn OFF :crazy:

3)Pass. side rear window leaked...replaced under warranty

4)Every once in a while at starting at 5K I have a HUGE power loss!

I so far am the only one to experience this......I want it fixed! :fume:

Unrelated question though, this being my first vehicle with leather seats, what do you guys recommend as far as leather cleaners and moisturizers? I'd hate to waste two perfectly good seats because I'm new. lol Does anyone have actual prices they've paid for spray in bedliners?

I use Mother's Gold Class Leather cleaner and conditioner on my seats. Spray on liners run about $280-$300 at my local truck accesories store. Hope that helps and welcome to the forum. So far no problems with the SS but I guess I'll knock on wood. :seeya: