My Stock 5.3 Wit 140k Miles

It is bad a$$ and kudos to that guy, hell of alot faster than me with a blower. To answer your question, you can get the same results...

Funny thing about that thread link...the guy has HEADS and CAM. I cant bite my tongue. This is just insane. Not even 4-5 posts below in that link, there is a guy with a CAM ONLY 6.0L running mid 12's in ext cab. So...the LS1 is so superior? 12.1-12.4 and the only difference is the tuner and heads? Hmmm...I can get .3sec out a good set of heads...HP is HP. 500hp in an LS1 and 500hp in an LQ9 is 500hp. The only difference and arguement between an LS1 and LQ9 block is the car/LSx style intake and the truck intake. Thats it. Compression is near equal, bore and stroke is slightly different, but negligible. Put the same cam and heads in an LS1 and then put them in an LQ9 and I bet my truck that you will be far less than 20-30 peak hp apart. We are splitting hairs here. I should give that guy in that pt.net post a set of heads and help him change them, get his tuner to dial it and see if he runs a 12.1 also. The point is this...cost. You can find a 6.0L truck engine for ALOT cheaper than an LS1, anybody who can search ebay or a local junk yard would know that.

Final case in point. Its funny how you can get about the same results from an iron block 408 as an all aluminum lsx408 with the same heads and cam combos, please do tell me why that is?

And lastly, you are probably taking great offense to this and I will get another BS pm and quite frankly I dont care. I know you have done quite a bit for a few members here, but stop leg humping the LS1 and acting like we know nothing and you know everything.

Your barking up the wrong tree bro. I'm not gonna send you another pm....I will say it here.....I dont act like you know nothing...I asked you if you had any background with these engines? I'm done trying to help that member out and you chimed in with your post which everytime I say something technical here you constantly post after me trying to bust my balls.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so the 01-02 with ls6 intake, and M6 run a few tick's faster then the LS1's i remember, but were talking trucks with auto's... so i think i'm still pretty close when comparing apples to apples, unless the auto camaros are running the same as the M6's?. so they must run mid to low 13's right?.

well i think i'm safe in saying that there is much less loss of rwhp through a manual trans. and from what everyone say's a cam would get you somewhere between 35-65hp depending on the grind.

so if were talking full bolt ons, cam and slicks on a rcsb (remember vho's are all xcsb's) your looking at about 450hp on a LS1 which is easily done to a LQ9. has anyone you know of run an LQ9 with an ls6 intake cam and full bolt on's in a rcsb?... because i think then we would know for sure. otherwise it's all speculative.

also we had a little miscomunication on the bolt on thing, i guess some people consider a cam a bolt on?... i don't, but everyone is entitled to there oppinion on that one.

that is bad ass :thumbs: but i still don't see why a LQ9 would'nt do the same built exactly to the specs of that LS1?.

a transam I built for a local guy ran 13.0 stock A4 car.....now it runs 9.90 heads/cam 225 shot on a stand alone. :jester:

It is bad a$$ and kudos to that guy, hell of alot faster than me with a blower. To answer your question, you can get the same results...

Funny thing about that thread link...the guy has HEADS and CAM. I cant bite my tongue. This is just insane. Not even 4-5 posts below in that link, there is a guy with a CAM ONLY 6.0L running mid 12's in ext cab. So...the LS1 is so superior? 12.1-12.4 and the only difference is the tuner and heads? Hmmm...I can get .3sec out a good set of heads...HP is HP. 500hp in an LS1 and 500hp in an LQ9 is 500hp. The only difference and arguement between an LS1 and LQ9 block is the car/LSx style intake and the truck intake. Thats it. Compression is near equal, bore and stroke is slightly different, but negligible. Put the same cam and heads in an LS1 and then put them in an LQ9 and I bet my truck that you will be far less than 20-30 peak hp apart. We are splitting hairs here. I should give that guy in that pt.net post a set of heads and help him change them, get his tuner to dial it and see if he runs a 12.1 also. The point is this...cost. You can find a 6.0L truck engine for ALOT cheaper than an LS1, anybody who can search ebay or a local junk yard would know that.

Final case in point. Its funny how you can get about the same results from an iron block 408 as an all aluminum lsx408 with the same heads and cam combos, please do tell me why that is?

And lastly, you are probably taking great offense to this and I will get another BS pm and quite frankly I dont care. I know you have done quite a bit for a few members here, but stop leg humping the LS1 and acting like we know nothing and you know everything.

thats what i was figuring... i just wanted to find out if there was some type of hidden secret about an LS1 that would produce more power then a LQ9.

also nice catch on those other upgrades and comparisons, i knew bolt on's could'nt get a 4400lb truck to 12.1 basicaly it's a fully built LS1 with a stock block. ithe only advantage i see with a LS1 is 80lb's of weight savings, but you have to remember that a LQ4/LQ9 is also 17ci larger so it should be able to offset that easily.

I would love to bring a VHO and downt there and stuff a bone stock LS1 in it and see what it does. It might gain 1-2 tenths over its stock 6.0L. 13.0 in a 3,400lb car is awesome. Add almost 2,000lbs to that and you will have to figure in at least 1.25-1.5 seconds more ET in a 1.4 mile run. That would put it in the mid 14's, not far from where some stock VHO's have ventured.

Cheo...here are your options.

1. You can go with the LS1 route which sounds really cool and will deliver results. It will cost you ten grand plus to get 500+ hp out of one and have it stuffed into your truck.

2. You can find an LQ9 and go with the same heads and cam selection as for the LS1, get 500hp or so, and probably do it for less than $5k.

3. If you really want to spend $10k, buy a forged "bolt in" 408 which is time proven to produce over 600+hp and be done with it.

Changing your truck over to an LS1 isnt as easy just pop the hood and throw it in there. There are accessory drives and pulley relocations to worry about among also wiring harness issues. Its not a straight forward swap. Its easy or well, possible, for someone who has the know how to get it done.

Cheo,

One last question. All of this debate is irrelevant if you dont have the money. What is your budget and how much do you actually plan to save up. Keep in mind, I ahd planned to build a forged 370 or 408 with a procharger when it all started and right now I only have a radix and some real bolt ons. Budgets change, I lost my job, so I had to stop, what do you actually think you will be able to afford? We wont steer you wrong. And neither will sprayed99. Can you do any of your own work Cheo or will you pay to have this done? That matters alot also.

I would love to bring a VHO and downt there and stuff a bone stock LS1 in it and see what it does. It might gain 1-2 tenths over its stock 6.0L. 13.0 in a 3,400lb car is awesome. Add almost 2,000lbs to that and you will have to figure in at least 1.25-1.5 seconds more ET in a 1.4 mile run. That would put it in the mid 14's, not far from where some stock VHO's have ventured.

Cheo...here are your options.

1. You can go with the LS1 route which sounds really cool and will deliver results. It will cost you ten grand plus to get 500+ hp out of one and have it stuffed into your truck.

2. You can find an LQ9 and go with the same heads and cam selection as for the LS1, get 500hp or so, and probably do it for less than $5k.

3. If you really want to spend $10k, buy a forged "bolt in" 408 which is time proven to produce over 600+hp and be done with it.

Changing your truck over to an LS1 isnt as easy just pop the hood and throw it in there. There are accessory drives and pulley relocations to worry about among also wiring harness issues. Its not a straight forward swap. Its easy or well, possible, for someone who has the know how to get it done.

Cheo,

One last question. All of this debate is irrelevant if you dont have the money. What is your budget and how much do you actually plan to save up. Keep in mind, I ahd planned to build a forged 370 or 408 with a procharger when it all started and right now I only have a radix and some real bolt ons. Budgets change, I lost my job, so I had to stop, what do you actually think you will be able to afford? We wont steer you wrong. And neither will sprayed99. Can you do any of your own work Cheo or will you pay to have this done? That matters alot also.

Where do you get this 10K figure from?

$3-4k for a used LS1 with mild miles on it. Heads and Cam/valvetrain upgrade = $3k. And probably almost $2k+/- for installation and tuning because of the custom work needed to adapt to the truck accesories with the lower car intake or convert over to car accessories. $6-7k+ for the 408 motor and then covering installation and tuning. I am assuming he cant do any of his own work. You and I could swap out a 408 in a day because we know what we are doing. I doubt he would tackle it himself, let alone a LS1 swap. I'm not far off on my estimates. Matter of fact, probably on the light side of things depending on the caliber of the shop. Sure, everyone can find a "deal" out there, but finding a low miler LS1 for under $2k is next to impossible for the average guy. The best price I have seen on a take out LS1 with trans was $3,200 and it did have the trans with it, worth maybe $700-900 on the market, which he could sell. At that, it had 54k miles on it. I've seen LQ4/LQ9's with trans going for $1800-2400 with 50k miles on average. Its all about cost vs return.

$3-4k for a used LS1 with mild miles on it. Heads and Cam/valvetrain upgrade = $3k. And probably almost $2k+/- for installation and tuning because of the custom work needed to adapt to the truck accesories with the lower car intake or convert over to car accessories. $6-7k+ for the 408 motor and then covering installation and tuning. I am assuming he cant do any of his own work. You and I could swap out a 408 in a day because we know what we are doing. I doubt he would tackle it himself, let alone a LS1 swap. I'm not far off on my estimates. Matter of fact, probably on the light side of things depending on the caliber of the shop. Sure, everyone can find a "deal" out there, but finding a low miler LS1 for under $2k is next to impossible for the average guy. The best price I have seen on a take out LS1 with trans was $3,200 and it did have the trans with it, worth maybe $700-900 on the market, which he could sell. At that, it had 54k miles on it. I've seen LQ4/LQ9's with trans going for $1800-2400 with 50k miles on average. Its all about cost vs return.

LS1 with under 50K 2-3K for the motor and accessories and wiring harness and pcm. Valvetrain and cam....2-2500. I charge 800 for motor swaps in existing v8 based vehicles and tuning on a dyno is 400.00

thats 5-6500.

same cost as the LQ9 with the same miles...you might save 500-700 on the iron block

408s longblocks are over 7K my cost

lets see as far as budget wise i would want to go with the LQ9, as far as me doing the wrk on it ima leave that up to ppl that know what they are doing on engines. since i got injuried at wrk im saving up money and thats hard to do but i am. so when i have the money, in the near future (this yr) i will consider doing the swap, if everything goes according to plan. thank you gus for your tips/support :chevy: as far as HP wise im not wanting that much somewhere in like 450 im good

cheo, i found an interesting thread about 5.3 engine swap to ls1 on pt.net and that txsilverado guy that sprayed talks about had this to say about it...

"I gained a little more than 6/10 swapping the ls1 in place of the 5.3. no other mods includedd....stock cammed 5.3 to stock cammed ls1 netted 6/10.

-Stewart

LS1,WHEATLEY TUNED12.1 @ 110 1.69 60' - ALL MOTOR

NITROUS TIMES COMING TO A TRACK NEAR YOU "

further more.. everyone in the thread is telling him to get a 6.0 of any kind!... heres the thread, check it out...

http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/sh...ht=4.8+6.0+swap

and sprayed no offense at all not trying to call you out or anything i just happened to come by the info as i was doing some more reading like you suggested.

6/10 hmmmm...intresting intresting.. i like the lq9, wonder how much they go for, like one that is in good cond. low miles.

from what can tell on ebay prices are from $500 on up.. but i would stay away from the cheaper one that are missing peices or are high milage.

i think you can get a good engine for $1000-$1800 depending on how low the miles are and what it comes with. if you look around at your local wrecking yards you might be able to pick one up for less?.. i would just say i'm looking for a replacement for a cargo van, just so they dont try to rip you off on the price. i think an LQ4 with a cam upgrade and a good tune will put out almost as much hp as a LQ9.. if i recall correctly, they have the same heads and cam just lower compression pistons and a weaker 87-octane tune. if you need anymore help just ask, thats what the forums are for. :chevy:

cheo, i found an interesting thread about 5.3 engine swap to ls1 on pt.net and that txsilverado guy that sprayed talks about had this to say about it...

"I gained a little more than 6/10 swapping the ls1 in place of the 5.3. no other mods includedd....stock cammed 5.3 to stock cammed ls1 netted 6/10.

-Stewart

LS1,WHEATLEY TUNED12.1 @ 110 1.69 60' - ALL MOTOR

NITROUS TIMES COMING TO A TRACK NEAR YOU "

further more.. everyone in the thread is telling him to get a 6.0 of any kind!... heres the thread, check it out...

http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/sh...ht=4.8+6.0+swap

and sprayed no offense at all not trying to call you out or anything i just happened to come by the info as i was doing some more reading like you suggested.

tell ya what I'm done in this thread after this post......I have 9years of experience with the gen 3 engines. I'm using what I have learned from wrenching not reading...start getting dirty and thats how you really learn the ins and outs of these machines. After saying that he is smart enough to find what he is looking for and the price he wants to pay. I will keep my mouth shut now and keep building successful projects on my end.

Good luck to you and what you choose to swap out.........pm me if you need any technical help. :thumbs:

Edited by sprayed99 (see edit history)

LQ9 :driving::omg: 345 horses and 380 lb.-ft. of torque :cheers: nice wonder how much that would be im liking that idea desrtrat :thumbs:

i got a LQ4 6.0 slightly lower comp ratio than LQ9 for 2000 bucks the motor had 1500 miles on it i did the swap myself and the difference was nuts i used the same harness even the same pcm from my 4.8 lter and it fired right up. basically plug and play. ive come along way sense then but go 6.0 imo

wow so i didnt read al the thread till after i posted i honestly dont know much about the ls1 but what i do know is danny sprayed99 knows his shit and has built up damn near every ls based motor there is. he has done all my motor work minus the swap. His ls1 maro put down over 700rwhp. . not to mention his JG 5.3 put down 542 rwhp.cheo there are gonna be differneces in opinions here and you wont be steered wrong. but when it comes to you needing help and advice about a build danny would bend over backwards to do you right for the right price

Edited by MIDNIGHTRIDR (see edit history)

tell ya what I'm done in this thread after this post......I have 9years of experience with the gen 3 engines. I'm using what I have learned from wrenching not reading...start getting dirty and thats how you really learn the ins and outs of these machines. After saying that he is smart enough to find what he is looking for and the price he wants to pay. I will keep my mouth shut now and keep building successful projects on my end.

Good luck to you and what you choose to swap out.........pm me if you need any technical help. :thumbs:

hey sprayed,

all i was trying to figure out is how a LS1 can make more power then an LQ9.. give both long blocks the same modifications and they should perform at least equal to each other imo.

there both the same engine, i doubt that the iron block some how hinders the performance of an LQ9 other then the 80lbs of weight?. it's kind of like comparing a 327 to a 350 and saying the 327 is better.

now i don't think anybody here (myself included) knocked the LS1, we know it's a great motor, i just don't think it's any better then an LQ9. i think the general rule of thumb in hot rodding is bigger is better, you know the old saying.. "there's no replacement for displacement".

i'm not trying to get you to stop posting on this thread, nor am i saying that you don't know how to build a high powered engine. all i would like to know is why?.. if you believe the LS1 to be better then the LQ9 then why is it have you built two identical engines and made more power with one then the other?.

the guy you were talking about said he gained 6/10's in an equal comparison from a 5.3 to LS1.

so it seems that an LQ9 could easily do the same.. i had an 05 silverado 5.3 that ran 15.8 stock with 1k miles on it, my 06 V-max ran 15.1 stock with 800 miles on it.

now i may not have 9 years of experience tearing down gen3 engines (i have built plenty of other engine in my life), but i do know that a stock LQ9 will cut off the exact same time as a LS1 will.

hey sprayed,

all i was trying to figure out is how a LS1 can make more power then an LQ9.. give both long blocks the same modifications and they should perform at least equal to each other imo.

there both the same engine, i doubt that the iron block some how hinders the performance of an LQ9 other then the 80lbs of weight?. it's kind of like comparing a 327 to a 350 and saying the 327 is better.

now i don't think anybody here (myself included) knocked the LS1, we know it's a great motor, i just don't think it's any better then an LQ9. i think the general rule of thumb in hot rodding is bigger is better, you know the old saying.. "there's no replacement for displacement".

i'm not trying to get you to stop posting on this thread, nor am i saying that you don't know how to build a high powered engine. all i would like to know is why?.. if you believe the LS1 to be better then the LQ9 then why is it have you built two identical engines and made more power with one then the other?.

the guy you were talking about said he gained 6/10's in an equal comparison from a 5.3 to LS1.

so it seems that an LQ9 could easily do the same.. i had an 05 silverado 5.3 that ran 15.8 stock with 1k miles on it, my 06 V-max ran 15.1 stock with 800 miles on it.

now i may not have 9 years of experience tearing down gen3 engines (i have built plenty of other engine in my life), but i do know that a stock LQ9 will cut off the exact same time as a LS1 will.

Do-not-feed-the-troll.PNG